Congratulations; you are the new defensive Co.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anyone who is a realist and isn't drinking the kool-aid can see that our defense leaves alot to be desired. Yes, they were better then last years defense.. but when you are dead last it's always considered an improvement when you don't finish last again right?

So for those of us who understand defense such as schemes, personel etc let's just pretend that TT has handed the reigns of the defense over to you and said i need you to fix this mess. You can change the scheme and i'll even spend some money in free agency if need be to make us one of the best defenses in the league. What would you do? would you change the scheme? what Free agents would you bring in? what defensive player would you take in the draft? who would start? keep in mind that if you spend money you have to consider the fact that Clay Matthews and BJ Raji both have contratcs coming to a end.

I would leave the scheme the same at the 3-4 but with some new faces sprinkled in.
I would re-sign clay Matthews first and foremost but not Raji... altho he would start until his contract is up then i would give him the franchise tag for one year.

I would sign OLB Paul Krueger from Baltimore. Outside of T suggs he is their best pass rusher and could you imagine him on the opposite side of clay Matthes for years to come? yikes!!!

I would insist TT trade down and get Manti Te'o in the draft and those would be the first moves i make to fix the defense and probably the only major ones.

ROLB Clay Matthews
ILB Desmond Bishop
ILB *Manti Te'o (rookie) rd1
LOLB Paul Krueger

DE Ryan Pickett/Nick Perry would be used on passing downs as a rush DE
NT *Jesse Williams NT (rookie) rd2
DE Bj Raji

CB Sam Shields
CB Casey Hayward
FS Charles Woodson
SS Morgan Burnett

*I would find sombody to trade AJ Hawk to. Maybe Cleveland will bite and give me third rd pick for him and pick up his contract.

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So for those of us who understand defense such as schemes, personel etc

We understand defensive schemes and personnel?! :)

Kruger is an interesting name. I wonder what his market will be. Typically, those players get overpaid. And assuming he'd fall into that category because he is very steady, I don't see TT making that move, especially after drafting Perry in the 1st round last season.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We understand defensive schemes and personnel?! :)

Kruger is an interesting name. I wonder what his market will be. Typically, those players get overpaid. And assuming he'd fall into that category because he is very steady, I don't see TT making that move, especially after drafting Perry in the 1st round last season.

True but what has Perry done? i know the guy was hurt most the year but even before then he wasn't setting the world on fire. A lot of us didn't think he'd take Sherrod in the 1st rd after taking Bulaga the year before but he did right? because there was a need at tackle for us. Well theres a need at OLB...a need for production to.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Good one! Williams will go late RD1 or early RD2, Te'o might as well be Hawk 2.0. Williams would wind up on DE, not Raji. It's been a while since I had a laugh like that, thanks, I needed it. With all the anger of how this season ended and the anticipation of the offseason frustration sets in pretty easily.

Defense needs to improve, but I still feel that we can do most if not all of our improvement in the draft. Kruger would be a great addition if we could get him cheap enough, but Baltimore is already a contender, so I doubt he takes a cheap deal to sign with us. Anthony Spencer could be in play though.

Couple guys on these lists to look at:
http://walterfootball.com/freeagents2013DT.php
http://walterfootball.com/freeagents2013OLB.php
http://walterfootball.com/freeagents2013ILB.php
http://walterfootball.com/freeagents2013S.php

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well he did bring in Woodson and Pickett so theres always a glimmer of hope.:tup:
The glimmer of hope isn't necessary. TT has a pretty clear pattern. He will sign free agents that represent a value but will not chase the big names. Woodson - nobody else wanted him...bargain. Pickett was not high on most people's radar...bargain. Cedric Benson...bargain. TT treats free agency like the stock market. He won't buy stocks that are soaring (big name free agents), he prefers to buy low and reap the benefits of those stocks/players outperforming.

I have no problems with Rodell's plan, except for Krueger. I find it hard to believe that any Super Bowl free agent will come at a bargain. I also think that it's wishful thinking to plan on any rookies to contribute. As a Defensive Coordinator, my plan would be based upon available players with the hope that a rookie or two will break into the starting roster.

Assuming that Terrell Manning has his colitis under control, I think that both he and DJ Smith will battle Hawk for the starting job. You'll have Moses too but I think that he's a backup more than a starter. Teo would be an interesting pick, but I would focus my #1 and/or #2 pick on the defensive line.

While it's easy to say that we won the Super Bowl with a huge IR list in 2010 - and therefore should have in 2012 - that's the exception and not the rule. On defense we had the following players on IR: Desmond Bishop, DJ Smith, Nick Perry, Sean Richardson, and Johnny Jones. Zombo was on PUP until November while Woodson, Matthews, and Shields missed some significant playing time too. Our DL played with only four healthy guys while Mike Neal and CJ Wilson were out of the lineup for bouts. This final paragraph isn't an excuse for the defense, it's a reason to get guys healthy and find a better way to utilize the talents that we have versus looking elsewhere.

If we find a quality, undervalued FA somewhere for the defense, TT should go out and get him. Either way, we've got a lot of good young talent on the roster.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Te'o might as well be Hawk 2.0.
This was my first thought when I read Te'o's name. I only watched Notre Dame in two games and I'm not a draftnik (not that there's anything wrong with that) but my initial impression is I'd rather have one of the guys knocking Te'o on his *** in the national championship game than Te'o.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good one! Williams will go late RD1 or early RD2, Te'o might as well be Hawk 2.0. Williams would wind up on DE, not Raji. It's been a while since I had a laugh like that, thanks, I needed it. With all the anger of how this season ended and the anticipation of the offseason frustration sets in pretty easily.

Defense needs to improve, but I still feel that we can do most if not all of our improvement in the draft. Kruger would be a great addition if we could get him cheap enough, but Baltimore is already a contender, so I doubt he takes a cheap deal to sign with us. Anthony Spencer could be in play though.

Couple guys on these lists to look at:
http://walterfootball.com/freeagents2013DT.php
http://walterfootball.com/freeagents2013OLB.php
http://walterfootball.com/freeagents2013ILB.php
http://walterfootball.com/freeagents2013S.php

I liked Spencer to but i think he would demand more loot. As far as williams i see alot of boards have him going in the 2nd round not the first. As for Te'o you think he"s Aj Hawk 2.0 huh?? well at least he would be cheaper then right?

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well who's to say we won't offer Krueger more doe than Baltimore? As for Te'o he may be a little over rated but he seems to have a nose for the ball and creating takeaways.. and i see alot of you say you just don't see that from Hawk. I think Nick Perry could be a solid player but i think he's more suited for DE like the way Indy uses Dwight Freeney in their version of the 3-4. With all the injuries we had on defense at lb i'm not convinced the next great lb outside of clay Matthews is already on our roster.

Reaction score
I wouldn't do much with the team. I'd leave it as a 3-4 for sure. I'd draft these positionss in the draft 1 d lineman , 1 MLB, 1 Olb, and then a safety. No particular order just do best player available.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd start by swapping the soft-mild mannered Capers for the firey Gregg Williams. In fact, if you guys will remember, Ted Thompson first tried to hire Williams, but he turned it down. Then he went after Capers. I believe Ted's first inclination was correct, aside from that silly little bounty thing.

I don't want Manti Te'o either! He fits right in "SOFT". I want guys who are physical, not choir boys. I don't want soft. Bishop is the only ILB we have like that. We need all of them like that. No way Manti.

Nick Perry will be good. I can't believe anyone wants to bury him already.
Our pass rush totals when Perry was in were very good, which is why TT drafted him and went all defense last year.
It wasn't Jerel Worthy and Mike Daniels that made it better.
It started with Perry, and Moses... good depth there.

I don't know if anyone would take Hawk, but I'd be happy to trade him for a CB or S who's strength is knocking people's heads off. We don't have that.

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know if anyone would take Hawk, but I'd be happy to trade him for a CB or S who's strength is knocking people's heads off. We don't have that.

I think we'd be lucky getting a jugs machine back for Hawk! With that contract and his general ineffectiveness, what team would really swing a deal for him?

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
No way in hell would I even consider drafting Teo....even if he was BAP when it was our turn to pick. I see him as a carbon copy of Tony mandrich, for those who remember that draft bust fool.

*MARK MY WORDS* Teo is a bust !!!!!

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
I liked Spencer to but i think he would demand more loot. As far as williams i see alot of boards have him going in the 2nd round not the first. As for Te'o you think he"s Aj Hawk 2.0 huh?? well at least he would be cheaper then right?
I'm not so sure. Cowboys seem pretty set on dumping him, the only guys who would bid are 3-4 teams, though there are a few teams newly switching over.
Aussie Thunder is only the 5th DT, on my board, #24 overall just above Floyd, which places him FIRMLY in the 1st.
Indeed he would be cheaper, but I figured you were trying to upgrade the position.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First order of business....entire defensive unit will travel to olympic wrestling training center or some instructors will come to an OTA. A simple understanding of leverage, center of gravity and the double leg takedown will the focal point of this event. This would be an excellent non-contact way to teach some basic principles of tackling.

Draft:
2nd round- Margus Hunt DE SMU -raw but could develop in a a 3-4 DE freakshow
3rd or 4th round but most likely 3rd or he is gone- Kiko Alonso ILB Oregon
5th round- Brandon McGee CB The U

If Hawk can be traded then I would be all in as far as picking up Kruger because Flacco's absurd deal is going to make it hard for them to retain him.

Tavares Gooden- Probably wouldn't be hard to lure him away from San Fran as he is the backup buried behind some studs.

Welcome back a rehabilitated new man....Johnny Jolly

Tramon goes into camp battling for his job.

Woodson gets a new deal or gets gone because there is no way in hell he is getting 12 mil with his age and health

Scheme wise I think the biggest adjustment would be to creatively and deceptively work on disguising coverages. In the past 2 years other teams seem to have figured out the coverages and they play call accordingly. Teams don't get those mismatches with the linebackers by mistake. There are places for both zone and man and the biggest thing will be keeping the offense guessing. I would also put more on Clay's plate. He is a well rounded player but is so amazing at the pass rush that his coverage and run stopping skills are overlooked. Mixing it up with him will also help with keeping the offense guessing.

ROLB Clay Matthews (Perry as primary backup on both sides)
ILB Desmond Bishop
ILB Tavares Gooden (Alonso learns as backup)
LOLB Paul Krueger

DE Johnny Jolly (Perry in the mix on passing downs)
NT Pickett (Raji)
DE Bj Raji (Hunt)

CB Sam Shields
CB Tramon- he will man up in the offseason, learn to tackle and beat out Hayward in a fierce camp battle
CB (nickel) Hayward
FS Macmillion or Woodson if he takes the pay cut
SS Morgan Burnett

Special teams beast, dime corner candidate Brandon McGee

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
I like all of your post with the exeption of the johnny jolly idea. While he was great while he played, he has been out of the loop for so long and not to mention out of shape, he would be of no real benefit to us. One off season and one short camp is not enough to get that big man back into playing condition.

I saw him on TV and he looks like the stay-puft marshmellow man.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like all of your post with the exeption of the johnny jolly idea. While he was great while he played, he has been out of the loop for so long and not to mention out of shape, he would be of no real benefit to us. One off season and one short camp is not enough to get that big man back into playing condition.

I saw him on TV and he looks like the stay-puft marshmellow man.
Yea, I was just having some fun with that one since its hard to say what will happen with Worthy and his recovery. Just slide Hunt over and him and Worthy or him and Neal can split time until Hunt is up to speed and ready to dominate

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Hunt has too much Bustability. We took Worthy last year, that's more than enough gambling for me. I'd much prefer a safer prospect for our struggling DL. Unfortunately we need the results now, a right now guy who can start and play well right now. We can't wait 3 years for him to develop into a decent player, as I said, that's what Worthy is for.

Reaction score
If we get Kruger or Spencer that is going to put us in cap problems. Remember we have to resign Rodgers and Matthews. Those guys aren't cheap. Lets do what we always do draft and develop. The 2nd year defensive players last year are only going to get better. Sprinkle in some more defensive players and we will have a much better defense. I like what Vic ketchman said. What we need for next year is a defensive playmaker to arise from last years draft or this years draft and then get a running back that will give us a physical presence. http://www.packers.com/news-and-eve...fference/991eaca3-9305-4635-aa6d-a82537495250

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kills me when ppl are unwilling to spend a little money to improve. Go right ahead and keep the same core of guy's we had on this years defense. Don't be upset when the defense is the achilles heal again smh.

Forderick

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the packers are in position that they need maybe 3 players to make a huge difference. Constantly drafting and acquiring talent is a good way to develop a team but the packers (to me) are in a position to win now. go out and spend a little money on a guy like krueger.

a couple free agents and drafting impact players(just look at seattles draft picks the past draft) could be all this team needs and anyone they draft and sign for D needs to be physical players, this defence is too soft. And the final piece would be to get a new D coordinator. the last 2 years should be enough to warrant a change.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the packers are in position that they need maybe 3 players to make a huge difference. Constantly drafting and acquiring talent is a good way to develop a team but the packers (to me) are in a position to win now. go out and spend a little money on a guy like krueger.

a couple free agents and drafting impact players(just look at seattles draft picks the past draft) could be all this team needs and anyone they draft and sign for D needs to be physical players, this defence is too soft. And the final piece would be to get a new D coordinator. the last 2 years should be enough to warrant a change.

Thank Goodness!! sombody hears what i'm saying. Were not in rebuild mode because we are contenders every year. Except the defense sucks..but it's ok as long as we are drafting guy's and letting them develop:rolleyes:

PackPackPackers

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm laughing at the people who want keep the same players at defense without improving. You really think Tramon Williams and Sam Shield is the answer? SMH, they need to get big name players if they want to compete.

Latest posts