Congratulations; you are the new defensive Co.

H

HardRightEdge

Pickett won't be around forever. As mentioned above, Raji has been inconsistent.

OK. I just posted the same thoughts. I thought you meant another, as in "we need three", rather than as an eventual 2014 replacement.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would just like to see another playmaker on defense on the roster. We can't count on Matthews to even play every game nowadays with his chronic hammy issues.. so another guy that can fill the void if he's out would be a God send. Finding another pass rusher should be priority.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would just like to see another playmaker on defense on the roster. We can't count on Matthews to even play every game nowadays with his chronic hammy issues.. so another guy that can fill the void if he's out would be a God send. Finding another pass rusher should be priority.

Potential Playmakers (in order of likelihood): Hayward, Burnett, Daniels, Perry (would be higher but for injury) and Manning (mostly based on what my gut says - guy went through a lot as a rookie and didn't complain or make excuses and still did okay. Suspect most players would have folded.)

Funny thing about all the players you mentioned as great pickups as FAs by 49ers. Smith and Rodgers were considered almost busts. Whittner had a great rookie season but faltered thereafter. Brooks looked impressive early but got hurt year 2 and missed most of season. Came back but Cincy cut him. Healed another year then SF signed him.

That is to say, 3 of these guys needed time to develop to become what they are. Why not give our guys some time to develop also, rather than just trying to find some other teams cast offs? More often than not - signing FAs, even if the player is more talented than your guy, makes your team worse.

okcpackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Potential Playmakers (in order of likelihood): Hayward, Burnett, Daniels, Perry (would be higher but for injury) and Manning (mostly based on what my gut says - guy went through a lot as a rookie and didn't complain or make excuses and still did okay. Suspect most players would have folded.)

Funny thing about all the players you mentioned as great pickups as FAs by 49ers. Smith and Rodgers were considered almost busts. Whittner had a great rookie season but faltered thereafter. Brooks looked impressive early but got hurt year 2 and missed most of season. Came back but Cincy cut him. Healed another year then SF signed him.

That is to say, 3 of these guys needed time to develop to become what they are. Why not give our guys some time to develop also, rather than just trying to find some other teams cast offs? More often than not - signing FAs, even if the player is more talented than your guy, makes your team worse.

Give a player time to develop!?! But we are the packers!!!

Reaction score
I'd be fired after the first preseason game when the players have no clue how to play their position techniques - when all my fancy playbooks from Madden 08 don't work in the real world - when the team is in a massive salary cap situation cause I got rid of young guys like Shields/Perry/Casey for "A" guy like Paul Kruger/Anthony Spencer or Revis ... meanwhile - Dom would get hired by a team like Seattle - He'd be hailed as a genius for what he's accomplished when he actually has more than a handful of players to work with.

profile_removed

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anyone who is a realist and isn't drinking the kool-aid can see that our defense leaves alot to be desired. Yes, they were better then last years defense.. but when you are dead last it's always considered an improvement when you don't finish last again right?

So for those of us who understand defense such as schemes, personel etc let's just pretend that TT has handed the reigns of the defense over to you and said i need you to fix this mess. You can change the scheme and i'll even spend some money in free agency if need be to make us one of the best defenses in the league. What would you do? would you change the scheme? what Free agents would you bring in? what defensive player would you take in the draft? who would start? keep in mind that if you spend money you have to consider the fact that Clay Matthews and BJ Raji both have contratcs coming to a end.

I would leave the scheme the same at the 3-4 but with some new faces sprinkled in.
I would re-sign clay Matthews first and foremost but not Raji... altho he would start until his contract is up then i would give him the franchise tag for one year.

I would sign OLB Paul Krueger from Baltimore. Outside of T suggs he is their best pass rusher and could you imagine him on the opposite side of clay Matthes for years to come? yikes!!!

I would insist TT trade down and get Manti Te'o in the draft and those would be the first moves i make to fix the defense and probably the only major ones.

ROLB Clay Matthews
ILB Desmond Bishop
ILB *Manti Te'o (rookie) rd1
LOLB Paul Krueger

DE Ryan Pickett/Nick Perry would be used on passing downs as a rush DE
NT *Jesse Williams NT (rookie) rd2
DE Bj Raji

CB Sam Shields
CB Casey Hayward
FS Charles Woodson
SS Morgan Burnett

*I would find sombody to trade AJ Hawk to. Maybe Cleveland will bite and give me third rd pick for him and pick up his contract.

I like where you're going on alot of this but here are my changes. 1.) You make sure Bishop is going to be ready by preseason before you trade Hawk. You can't have a rookie starting at one inside linebacker, and have another who has less than a year's experience there. 1a.) You're assuming Te'O slips that far and that Ted will spend first round draft pick money on an inside linebacker, even though it's the smart move if he's there. 2.) I don't like Burnett, I firmly believe, even if wrongly that Burnett is part of the communication issues in the passing game. I'd rather see them bring in a Zeke Motta in round 3 or 4 to replace Burnett. Maybe even put Heyward at safety is a possible option, I guess anyone but Burnett would be ok with me. 3.) I LOVE the idea of signing Krueger, but I don't see it happening because we just spent round 1 money on Matthews' book end.

Also on a side note, HAD Ted used his brain 2 years ago we could've signed Josh Bynes as a UFA out of Auburn, and had Hawk's replacement 2 years ago! For those that don't know who he is, he made the tackle on the final punt of the Superbowl yesterday, and was Ray Lewis' back up for the last 2 years.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
I don't like Burnett, I firmly believe, even if wrongly that Burnett is part of the communication issues in the passing game. I'd rather see them bring in a Zeke Motta in round 3 or 4 to replace Burnett. Maybe even put Heyward at safety is a possible option, I guess anyone but Burnett would be ok with me.
Burnett part of the problem-true, Motta fixes the problem-kinda, Motta would take time to fix the problem-true, Motta would cause a different problem-true, Burnett only started calling this year and only since Woodson went out-true, Burnett is improving-true, Heyward would fix the problem-FALSE.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
Also on a side note, HAD Ted used his brain 2 years ago we could've signed Josh Bynes as a UFA out of Auburn, and had Hawk's replacement 2 years ago! For those that don't know who he is, he made the tackle on the final punt of the Superbowl yesterday, and was Ray Lewis' back up for the last 2 years.
OK, if he only had a brain right? 31 other teams missed on an UDFA that hasn't been to the pro bowl, isn't a starter nor has made any significant impact. Bynes had less tackles than Moses for the Packers and Dezman is an OLB.

Forderick

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Both him and their RB ahmad bradshaw released, don't think either one is really worth much.

but at this point, what is the harm in talking to them and seeing if there is some interest. That doesn't mean break the bank on them. The packers need quality depth on the Dline and running back positions. adding those 2 would be a good move for just that. as long as the cost is reasonable because they don't have that much room, and if they can sign a 1-2 year deal max and maybe front load it.

profile_removed

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OK, if he only had a brain right? 31 other teams missed on an UDFA that hasn't been to the pro bowl, isn't a starter nor has made any significant impact. Bynes had less tackles than Moses for the Packers and Dezman is an OLB.

Made any significant impact? If he misses that tackle in the Superbowl the 49ers win!

Members online

Latest posts