Collins & Whitticker look like Starters by Dougherty of

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Posted Aug. 15, 2005

Rookies Collins, Whitticker look like starters
Packers safety Nick Collins firmed up his case for a starting job by intercepting a Drew Brees pass during Thursday night

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know about that. I'd think if Collins and Whitacker have truly broken into the starting lineup, either those players are really special or else we're really awful.

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
packedhouse01 said:
I don't know about that. I'd think if Collins and Whitacker have truly broken into the starting lineup, either those players are really special or else we're really awful.

That is what people were declaring when Tauscher came out of no where as a 7th round draft pick to instant starter in the NFL. Whitaker is a great surprise -- he is moving up the charts because he is better than expected and displaying a level of maturity that the draft guru's cannot measure from their publication oriented research.

Collins has got extreme raw talent, he obviously has been absorbing the new defense much quicker than his wonderlick score would have led most of us to believe. And again, because he didn't play for a big school lots of folks did not have a complete book on him. We have not had that kind of physical talent at safety for a long time. Let's hope he does not stumble too much as a rookie.

Finally, Roman had been a solid NFL player prior to last season -- when he clearly screwed the pooch and played like a talentless rookie rather than a highly pursued FA like he was the season before. Some of last seasons failure on his part was a cluster fluck scheme, lack of system discipline by players and his injury that he played with all of last season. It looks like he has come to camp and fought off the competition and played to the level that got him signed as a free agent -- which makes it possible to go with a rookie at the other spot.

Members online

Latest posts