Cobb or Freeman

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"what have you done for me lately" is a good point

But consider guys like Favre and Brady who play(ed) for pretty much "cheap" considering production

Favre was the highest paid player in the league at one point if I am not mistaken and Brady has made a lot of money in the form of bonuses and such. Yes, when compared to what other guys (Cousins, Ryan, Stafford and a few other) are making he is a bargain but it's not like he is giving his services away.

Two things that keep Brady seeming like a bargain, besides the fact that he is, is that he has played so long allowing the Patriots to keep doing these little extensions and pushing the money out and he has continued to play at such a high level.

I read where Kraft is interested in extending him again so if the pattern continues what will happen is he will get another 45 million dollar signing bonus for 3 more years then his first year salary will be 2 million dollars and everyone will say "Look at the team player Brady is is is only making 2 million dollars" They will forget about the 45 million dollar check he just got. Don't get me wrong, that would still be a huge bargain but its not like he's played his entire career for league minimum. Brady has taken home a little over 207 million dollars for his career so far. Rodgers, thus far a little over 205 million. Brett Favre 141, Matt Stafford 178, Matt Ryan, 214, Drew Brees 225, Eli manning 213, Roethlisbeger 186, Rivers 201

If all of these QBS finish out their current contracts as they now stand and never play another down they will have made the following: Ryan 321 million, Rodgers 314, Stafford 262, Brees 248, E. Manning 230, Brady 222, Rivers 217, Roethlisberger 203,

222 million for 5 championships (maybe more, we shall see in about 6 hours) Of these QBs Brady has given his team by far the most value but I wonder how much Bradshaw or Montana earned per ring.

Not that any of the above has anything to do with the thread topic I just found it interesting when I started researching it.

Getting back to Cobb after he signed his big contract his cap hit in 2015 was around 5 million and he had 79/829/6. Not bad for 5 million dollars. In 2016 his cap hit jumped to 9 million and we got 60/610/4 but he missed 3 games and if I recall he was never really healthy. Not great but when factoring in injuries I'd give him the benefit of the doubt. It was 2017, 2018 where he really bottomed out relative to his cap. He may not have been worth it the last two years but over his entire career I'd say Cobb was worth having in Green Bay.

D

Deleted member 6794

Funny I always recalled Freeman as more of the #2 but when I looked at the stats from back then his first 3 years labeled as a starter (1996, 97, 98) he was their leading receiver over Brooks by a fair amount.

Freeman even led the league in receiving yards in 1998.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How is this even a question?

In the same vein, better Packers RB, Ahman Green or Brandon Jackson?

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was leaning toward Cobb, who played hurt a substantial number of games, until I remembered the injuries Freeman played with.
- 1996 missed 4 games but played with cast on his arm and finished the SB season.
- 1998 broke his jaw, missed 1 game while it was wired shut, and played next 3 with extra padding.
- Also, Favre's rocket throws were known to break receiver's fingers... Freeman says 7 of his 10 were broken or dislocated.

Freeman

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yet Cobb has more total receptions in less games than Freeman.

That's it, I'm convinced. I'm now willing to overlook the fact that Cobb was never the main receiver, averaged 4 yards per catch less than Freeman, and has 16 fewer TDs than Freeman in 11 fewer games in Green Bay.

(The above statement was sarcastic) I'm sorry, but my belief is that a #2 WR by definition is not better than a #1 WR.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Freeman was our #1 receiver for years.

Cobb has NEVER been our #1 receiver.

It's gonna be sad when Cobb gets cut and we win another Super Bowl. He'll have missed out on a SB on both ends of his career.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm sorry, but my belief is that a #2 WR by definition is not better than a #1 WR.

So, the best #2 isn't as good as the worst #1?

I know little of the personnel on other teams, but, regardless of which stat(s) one chooses, I'm pretty sure one can find the #2 for several of these teams ahead of the #1 on other teams. http://www.nfl.com/stats/categoryst...ason=2018&seasonType=REG&experience=&tabSeq=1

Edit - or, are you saying that the #2 on a particular team isn't better than that teams's #1, and, if so, how does help in comparing receivers on different teams?

D

Deleted member 6794

That's it, I'm convinced. I'm now willing to overlook the fact that Cobb was never the main receiver, averaged 4 yards per catch less than Freeman, and has 16 fewer TDs than Freeman in 11 fewer games in Green Bay.

(The above statement was sarcastic) I'm sorry, but my belief is that a #2 WR by definition is not better than a #1 WR.

As I've posted above I would chose Freeman over Cobb as well but in my opinion you don't value what Cobb has achieved with the Packers by mentioning it's not even worth a discussion.