Coach Rankings

Yared-Yam

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So the Packers coaching staff ranks dead last apparently. At least in the eyes of Fox.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5896698

32. Green Bay

Mike McCarthy, previously the offensive coordinator of the San Francisco 49ers, replaces fired coach Mike Sherman. He's a curious choice, to say the least, given that our Football Outsiders stats show that the 49ers had not just the worst offense in the league last year but one of the worst offenses the league has ever seen.

The biggest misconception about McCarthy is that his background is in the same West Coast Offense that the Packers have run throughout the career of quarterback Brett Favre. In reality, McCarthy got his start in the NFL as an assistant to Marty Schottenheimer in Kansas City, where he coached a conservative, run-first offense. Before that, McCarthy was an assistant to Paul Hackett (the former Jets offensive coordinator who was often criticized for conservative play-calling) at the University of Pittsburgh. McCarthy did spend one year as Favre's quarterbacks coach. That isn't necessarily a good thing for Packers fans, though. The year McCarthy spent in Green Bay was 1999, when the talented Packers finished a disappointing 8-8 and Favre had one of his worst seasons with 23 interceptions and a career-low 57.3 completion percentage.

The NFC North's defensive linemen won't like new offensive coordinator Jeff Jagodzinski. Jagodzinski was the offensive line coach in Atlanta last season, working alongside offensive line consultant Alex Gibbs, the man who developed the zone-blocking schemes that the Denver Broncos used to win two Super Bowls.

Many defensive linemen have said Gibbs teaches dirty play, but the Gibbs system is spreading across the league because it works. Quarterbacks coach Tom Clements spent 12 seasons as a quarterback in the Canadian Football League, and he still favors that type of wide-open style. That might not make him a great fit for Brett Favre, who needs someone to rein him in. Instead of completely overhauling the coaching staff, McCarthy decided to keep Bob Sanders and promote him from defensive ends coach to defensive coordinator.

Sanders, a Steve Spurrier confidant who served as a defensive coordinator for Spurrier both at Duke and at Florida, believes in a defense that gets most of its pass rush from the line instead of from blitzing linebackers. That makes him a good fit for a team that has Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila and Aaron Kampman in place.

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Every HC is a first-year HC at some point in their career, so it remains to be seen if MM is truly head coaching material. Unfortunately for him, he's been saddled with an extremely young, inexperienced team that has marginal talent at several positions. Not usually a recipe for success.

MM will be doing well to keep all his players and assistant coaches on an even keel as they experience the inevitable ups and downs of this season. If there ends up being more ups than downs, IMO McCarthy will deserve much of the credit.

billv

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They don't mention how good the Saints and Aaron Brooks played when he was the offensive coordinator in New Orleans.

vikesrule

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Obviously, I am not a packer fan. But you can't place too much credence in polls or analysis by F.O. After all they have climbed into bed with FOX.
And we all know that the credibility of the FOX Network is suspect to say the least.
Remember, these are the same group of people that still think that Dubya is a genius.
:doh:

kmac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It actually does make sense. I mean, come on, did any of you guys watch the 49ers last year? When the hiring was first announced I was pretty pissed.

PackFanInSC

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At least, when you are picked to be last, the only thing you can do is exceed expectations!!

Anubis

Cheesehead
Reaction score
kmac said:
I mean, come on, did any of you guys watch the 49ers last year? When the hiring was first announced I was pretty pissed.

Tell me about it. TT let Bates walk (who seemed to have a handle on coaching Miami in the interim before the Nicktator was hired), and brings in the guy who was OC of the 32nd worst offense in the league in 2005. You could say I was pretty pissed at the time. I guess we'll find out soon enough if this was the right decision.

GO PACK!!!

Robert C. Hedley

thetombradyhater

Cheesehead
Reaction score
<a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?q=42.957176+-
kmac said:
It actually does make sense. I mean, come on, did any of you guys watch the 49ers last year? When the hiring was first announced I was pretty pissed.

True, I hated the move of signing McCarth but I promised myself I'd give him a chance before bashing him, but somebodys bond to have a worse staff then us. Maybe 49ers? maybe the raiders who have coaches that haven't coached in 10+ years

BoydAvery

Cheesehead
Reaction score
kmac said:

The only consolation is that MM has to be better than Mike Sherman. After Sherman as HC the only way to go is up.

thetombradyhater

Cheesehead
Reaction score
BoydAvery said:
kmac said:

The only consolation is that MM has to be better than Mike Sherman. After Sherman as HC the only way to go is up.

I don't understand why people think MS was such a bad HC. He wasn't. He should have never been the GM but how can you say an ex OC that coached a team was last in total offense last year is better than a head coach with 57 wins as a head coach and led us to 3 divison titles and 4 playoff appearance?

BoydAvery

Cheesehead
Reaction score
thetombradyhater said:
I don't understand why people think MS was such a bad HC. He wasn't. He should have never been the GM but how can you say an ex OC that coached a team was last in total offense last year is better than a head coach with 57 wins as a head coach and led us to 3 divison titles and 4 playoff appearance?

MM is just starting out, let's give him 6 years as HC then we can copmpare.

thetombradyhater

Cheesehead
Reaction score
BoydAvery said:
thetombradyhater said:

MM is just starting out,

exactly so how can you say he is better than MS? MS right now is a better coach then MM, maybe not in 6 years but right now MM has nothing on MS except his old job

BoydAvery

Cheesehead
Reaction score
thetombradyhater said:
BoydAvery said:
thetombradyhater said:

MM is just starting out,

exactly so how can you say he is better than MS? MS right now is a better coach then MM, maybe not in 6 years but right now MM has nothing on MS except his old job

MS had his shot and F-A-I-L-E-D! By Mike!

thetombradyhater

Cheesehead
Reaction score
BoydAvery said:
thetombradyhater said:
BoydAvery said:
thetombradyhater said:

MM is just starting out,

MS had his shot and F-A-I-L-E-D! By Mike!

personally I don't consider MS a failure, I am satisfied with 4 playoff appearances in 6 years especiall living in Western New York where the Bills haven't made the playoffs since they were beastly in the early 90's

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
thetombradyhater said:
BoydAvery said:
kmac said:

I agree with this. Sherman was a solid Head Coach but when it came to being a GM, I don't think he could handle it. Maybe it was doing the 2 at the sametime and it was just too much for him.

McCarthy had nothing to work with in SF last year. Everyone looks at that but they fail to mention he was the coordinator for the Saints for 4 years and had them in the top 10 in total yards for all 4.

I rather of had Bates anyday but McCarthy got hired and now you have to give him the benefit of the doubt.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
BoydAvery said:
thetombradyhater said:

MM is just starting out, let's give him 6 years as HC then we can copmpare.

MM will never get more wins than MS did in those 6 years!

Cdnfavrefan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was hoping Bates would get the job but who knows maybe he's best just coaching defence which I think he's one of the best at. I also think it's not as much how good the coach is but how good the coach is for the team. MM might be a failure on a team like SF but if he can work with a MVP like Favre and have the gift of getting the best out of him then he's a good fit. Just like some coaches are great at turning young lousy teams into contenders but when they get a contender they can't improve them anymore. I think all that matters is how well he fits so rankings don't bother me much

PackwillBEback

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wait this makes no sense there hasn't been one ****ing game played and they are making predictions. I hope FoxSports gets blown up...with their people inside for making coach rankings before the season even starts.

Members online

Latest posts