Clay Matthews ... Inside linebacker?

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is our #1 correctable problem - it is so glaring, that I don't think there can even be an honest evaluation of the defensive players. Capers is simply not putting them in positions to be successful.
That is written after a blowout?

Capers is a defensive genius and should not be fired.
Am I the ONLY one around here willing to give credit or are the haters so full of hate that they think it was all of Clay's idea to play where he was effective?
Of course some of you just love too much to be Debbie and Donald Downers to even think for a second that Capers shouldn't be fired even after a win.
Some fans just can't ever be satisfied after big wins.
Thank god the lot of you are here instead of working for the Packers otherwise we would be 0-16 every year. Guaranteed.

DaveRoller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I for one hope that Clay sees at least a little time at ILB in future games.

It was just so much fun to see someone play with speed and aggressiveness at ILB after all these years of passive (and just plain bad) play.

Watching Clay was a revelation, sort of like Lacy at RB last season or HHCD at Safety.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, not to be a Donald downer, but it did take our "genius" DC three plus years to realize that there were enormous problems with our ILBs, and to make an adjustment. Cautious optimism. You know how consistently inconsistent this D is, and as far as never being satisfied; yep, I admit it, I am one of those fans who feels little satisfaction in watching Hawk tackle 10 yards downfield. FF even you have to see that there are enormous personnel problems on the inside of this D. The fun to come COULD be the D turning around into a productive unit. Baby steps.

News Bot

News Bot
Reaction score
When Clay Matthews stood inside the locker room during the off-season in 2013 — soon after inking a $66 million contract extension — he did not talk about playing inside linebacker.

Source: JSOnline.com

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't understand why some of you are so skeptical about this. Sure, it's ok to be cautious but the move makes all the sense in the world for several reasons:

1. The development of Nick Perry and Mike Neal. Perry is not a bust. He's not Clay but he is doing well enough. We have a glut at OLB and moving Clay to the inside is smart.
2. Clay instantly improves our run defense and he can play a roamer in certain defense schemes, which actually better utilizes his talents rather than limits him.
3. Given the woeful state of our ILB core, this is most definitely an improvement to the weakest area of our defense without sacrificing anything. You are only so good as your weakest link, as they say, and our OLB talent is sufficient.

Mklangelo

Feng Shui Debunker
Reaction score
At the moment, I have no problem with moving CM3 inside. It looks like Peppers is a sufficient replacement for Matthews on the outside which I think just might be part of the reason they thought they would give this shift a try.

So far, so good. We have very challenging games ahead. We shall see what we shall see.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

Well, not to be a Donald downer, but it did take our "genius" DC three plus years to realize that there were enormous problems with our ILBs, and to make an adjustment.

Thompson is responsible for the lack of talent at ILB. Before this season the Packers didn´t have enough talent at OLB either to move Matthews inside. The coaching staff did a great job evaluating the defenses shortcomings over the bye week and making the right move thereafter.

While cautiously optimistic I would like to see the defense being able to stop a good offense before I get too excited.

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
No. Leave him on the outside. Why would anyone take their best pass rusher and put him in the middle? When has any mlb ever led his team in sacks? Way to easy to block him that way.
A J Hawk isn't doing the job, seems like he is blocked out or not a factor in a lot of plays

Mklangelo

Feng Shui Debunker
Reaction score
No. Leave him on the outside. Why would anyone take their best pass rusher and put him in the middle? When has any mlb ever led his team in sacks? Way to easy to block him that way.
But the thing is, he isn't our best pass rusher. It's Peppers with 5 sacks on the season vs CM3 at 3.5.

Hell, Nick Perry has 3 sacks on the season.

Like I said in a post a while back, Matthews is for the most part running on reputation, but I will be the first to admit that the man was ALL over the field against the Bears (week 10 of 2014).

Looked like his old self, actually. The motor didn't stop. He had 9 tackles too boot. I like it.

Last edited:

greenandgold

I'm Dirty Hairy Callahan
Reaction score
At the moment, I have no problem with moving CM3 inside. It looks like Peppers is a sufficient replacement for Matthews on the outside.
What, the Peppers that the Bears gave up because he was "Too old, not that good now, and costs too much" anymore? Then they go out and get a washed up Jared Allen? How did that deal look last Sunday? I didn't hear Allen's name once called out during the game. I sure heard Pepper's name called out.

Mklangelo

Feng Shui Debunker
Reaction score
What, the Peppers that the Bears gave up because he was "Too old, not that good now, and costs too much" anymore? Then they go out and get a washed up Jared Allen? How did that deal look last Sunday? I didn't hear Allen's name once called out during the game. I sure heard Pepper's name called out.
It sure wasn't a good personnel decision on their part, that's for sure. I'm glad he's a Packer now.

At 34, Peppers is an amazing athlete. He is a beast. And what I like is he talks and carries himself like a true gentle giant.

Most players have little or nothing left at that age.

Last edited:

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
I don't understand why some of you are so skeptical about this. Sure, it's ok to be cautious but the move makes all the sense in the world for several reasons:

1. The development of Nick Perry and Mike Neal. Perry is not a bust. He's not Clay but he is doing well enough. We have a glut at OLB and moving Clay to the inside is smart.
2. Clay instantly improves our run defense and he can play a roamer in certain defense schemes, which actually better utilizes his talents rather than limits him.
3. Given the woeful state of our ILB core, this is most definitely an improvement to the weakest area of our defense without sacrificing anything. You are only so good as your weakest link, as they say, and our OLB talent is sufficient.

Agreed on all points. Perry is playing well, IMO. Haven't heard Neal's name much lately, but even he seems to be adequate or better. Perhaps his injury-laden start to his career is finally behind him and he can finally focus on playing ball.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Capers was desperate, I mean can you really blame the guy? Whatever he tried didn't work so he made a desperate decision, and sometimes you have to in order to get results. Worked out Sunday Night but is Clay Matthews future really at ilb? Hey you never know...if they took Hawk and moved him inside, Moved Kampman off the end and outside, drafted Perry to play olb when the guy never has been an olb, signed Peppers to be an olb vs a DE, it wouldn't shock me to see Clay stay on the inside at least through the remainder of the year. Clearly the future replacement for Hawk isn't any ilb on the roster. Lol maybe it's Clay Matthews??

Mklangelo

Feng Shui Debunker
Reaction score
Capers was desperate, I mean can you really blame the guy? Whatever he tried didn't work so he made a desperate decision, and sometimes you have to in order to get results. Worked out Sunday Night but is Clay Matthews future really at ilb? Hey you never know...if they took Hawk and moved him inside, Moved Kampman off the end and outside, drafted Perry to play olb when the guy never has been an olb, signed Peppers to be an olb vs a DE, it wouldn't shock me to see Clay stay on the inside at least through the remainder of the year. Clearly the future replacement for Hawk isn't any ilb on the roster. Lol maybe it's Clay Matthews??
At this early stage of the move, I'm cautiously optimistic.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gents Clay Matthews has not exactly been moved. He's still rushing from the outside quite a bit. It's just that's he's inside on early downs.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I posted this on the Packers vs. Eagles thread: According to McGinn, Clay played inside about 80% of the snaps with the rest at ROLB. That kind of mix makes sense to me. Here's a line from his game review about Matthews: "He's bigger, stronger, quicker, meaner and tougher than Sam Barrington, Brad Jones and Jamari Lattimore." I don't think anyone can question that and since Perry (and Neal) are more valuable on the field than Barrington, Jones, and Lattimore, when Clay is inside not only does he upgrade that position but Perry sets the edge against the run as well as, or better, than Clay.

Link to McGinn's rating the Packers column:
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/rating-the-packers-vs-bears-b99387933z1-282239421.html

PackerFanLV

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hawk is a solid tackler but I find it very hard to believe that over his years they could not upgrade that position.
uhhh did you see clay reaction time and on the attack and how fast he was and how scared forte was of him and how clay fought off blocks? I'm not saying hawk is clay or he should be clayish I'm saying that clay made him look pedestrian.

Mklangelo

Feng Shui Debunker
Reaction score
uhhh did you see clay reaction time and on the attack and how fast he was and how scared forte was of him and how clay fought off blocks? I'm not saying hawk is clay or he should be clayish I'm saying that clay made him look pedestrian.
CM3 was incredible. I just was amazed at the immediate upgrade in the middle.

It was Matthews looking like his old self.

That backfield stuff on Chris Williams was epic.

Forte is kind of arrogant.

It was very nice to see the mustard come off that hot dog. lol

Last edited:

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
So could it be said that CM3 is basically in the same type of wild card role that Woodson played? Gut feel as to best way to attack or defend the offense?

Members online

Latest posts