Clay Matthews ... Inside linebacker?

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hold up...slllooowww doooowwwnnn...it tastes like kool aid at this point: one game against a completely inept team is not a trend. I think CM playing inside STUPIFIED the bayers. But going forward, teams are going to scheme against what alignment he was in. And we may see the return to clay the paper champion. BUT....if the supporting cast starts getting HOME, this change was needed 2 years ago. We shall see. I am cautiously optimistic. We need to play against some higher powered offense to determine if this is real, or Memorex.

Mklangelo

Feng Shui Debunker
Reaction score
Again, a romping of a mediocre team. Let's not anoint the Pack for a SB victory just yet.

We have 4 games left this season which could be considered quality, upper echelon teams. Philadelphia, New England, Detroit and the Bills.

Packers have beaten only ONE team this year with a record above .500 and that's the Dolphins.

The average winning percentage of teams the Pack has beaten this year is: .384.

Not impressive. But Matthews did look like his old self last night.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agree 100%. People get to excited to easily around here. Like I always say, don't drink the kool aid as this defense has shown zero consistency. I wouldn't be shocked to see the same scheme but fir Sanchez to light us up or McCoy to run wild. So we go from 32 in D to 30th haha. Still need a ton of work. Shut down Brady bunch then I'll be excited.

Mklangelo

Feng Shui Debunker
Reaction score
There'
And others start harping about how awful the Packers are at the tip of a hat.
I want the Pack to win each and every game they play and go VERY deep in the playoffs each and every year. I just know that it isn't gonna happen with the defense they have at the moment.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There'

I want the Pack to win each and every game they play and go VERY deep in the playoffs each and every year. I just know that it isn't gonna happen with the defense they have at the moment.

That isn't going to happen with any defense.

Mklangelo

Feng Shui Debunker
Reaction score
The current D is not going to get it done. And the numbers do not lie. We just haven't beaten any top shelf teams. Period.

Last edited:

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There'

Then you are going to be very disappointed most years when your expectations are not met.

There are 31 other GM's out there trying to accomplish the same goal as us. The Seahawks are pretty much the modern NFL model for an elite defense, and they don't win each and every game -- they've lost 3 this year. The Patriots are pretty much the model NFL franchise for sustained success and having a chance every year, and they haven't won a Super Bowl in 10 years.

What you are asking for is perfection which isn't a realistic expectation.

Mklangelo

Feng Shui Debunker
Reaction score
Then you are going to be very disappointed most years when your expectations are not met.

There are 31 other GM's out there trying to accomplish the same goal as us. The Seahawks are pretty much the modern NFL model for an elite defense, and they don't win each and every game -- they've lost 3 this year. The Patriots are pretty much the model NFL franchise for sustained success and having a chance every year, and they haven't won a Super Bowl in 10 years.

What you are asking for is perfection which isn't a realistic expectation.
My remark was a figure of speech.

Of course I want the Pack to win every game. That's what makes me a fan.

It's just that I don't have rose colored glasses on.

Don't take it too seriously. Of course they won't win all their games.

And they aren't going very far in the playoffs, if indeed they can get past Detroit which is not exactly a foregone conclusion.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My remark was a figure of speech.

Of course I want the Pack to win every game. That's what makes me a fan.

It's just that I don't have rose colored glasses on.

Don't take it too seriously. Of course they won't win all their games.

And they aren't going very far in the playoffs, if indeed they can get past Detroit which is not exactly a foregone conclusion.

I think all of us want that, obviously.

People seem to remember the 2010 Packers a little differently than reality. They were not a dominant team in every phase of the game. Actually, their run D was really bad. They were 28th in the NFL in YPC at 4.7, the 2014 team is currently at 4.6 YPC. They had a good secondary. The one we have now isn't that different -- younger and not as good yet, but with upside.

We need to improve on D but we're not as far off as you're implying. We need to have more interior presence, and I'm hoping Matthews will help with that -- and we need to get off the field on 3rd down. We're not doing a good enough job there.

I would have assumed most people would have said the same thing about the 2010 D, that no way could they win the Super Bowl with a defense that was giving up almost 5 YPC on the ground.

You don't need a top 5 defense to go deep into the playoffs and win the Super Bowl. It certainly helps, but you can do it without. Neither our run defense nor our offensive running game was a particularly strong point of our Super Bowl season.

rondon57

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess I just don't see how Clay being on the field more instead of Hawk or Jones could ever be a bad thing? I understand the points that have been made here, and I completely agree that this article probably should have been written after the draft. Clay IMO can and will be effective in any situation he's put in on this defense. Is his best spot coming off of the edge? Ofcourse it is but the idea of mixing things up is interesting. The goal should be to have the best 11 players on the field at all times. Clay is better then Hawk or Jones so replacing one of them with Clay who is our best defensive player to me seems logical.
I agree, you want your best 11 on the field

Mklangelo

Feng Shui Debunker
Reaction score
I'm not sure if having CM3 at ILB is a permanent move or not but it sure worked well last night against the Bears.

But my thoughts on the whole not being able to get off the field on third down is this: I wonder if the majority of those failed 3rd down stops were running plays?

Perhaps running plays in the middle? If so, then leave Matthews right where he was last night.

I know we get burned most often by RBs and TEs.

I just don't know where to research those kind of stats.

It sure would be nice to know.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm not sure if having CM3 at ILB is a permanent move or not but it sure worked well last night against the Bears.

But my thoughts on the whole not being able to get off the field on third down is this: I wonder if the majority of those failed 3rd down stops were running plays?

Perhaps running plays in the middle? If so, then leave Matthews right where he was last night.

I know we get burned most often by RBs and TEs.

I just don't know where to research those kind of stats.

It sure would be nice to know.

Teams have thrown 78 times on third down vs. the Packers converting 32 (41.0%, 19th in the NFL) into first downs. In comparison they ran the ball 38 times for 21 first downs (55.3%, 24th in the league).

It's worthing mentioning though that teams had an average of 7 yards to go when passing compared to only 4.32 when running.

You can get customized stats at Pro Football Reference's play index.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mklangelo

Feng Shui Debunker
Reaction score
Teams have thrown 78 times on third down vs. the Packers converting 32 (41.0%) into first downs. In comparison they ran the ball 38 times for 21 first downs (55.3%).

It's worthing mentioning though that teams had an average of 7 yards to go when passing compared to only 4.32 when running.

You can get customized stats at Pro Football Reference's play index.
Well, I don't see them plugging both of those holes by putting Matthews in the middle, but that is the logical place to start.

rondon57

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hold up...slllooowww doooowwwnnn...it tastes like kool aid at this point: one game against a completely inept team is not a trend. I think CM playing inside STUPIFIED the bayers. But going forward, teams are going to scheme against what alignment he was in. And we may see the return to clay the paper champion. BUT....if the supporting cast starts getting HOME, this change was needed 2 years ago. We shall see. I am cautiously optimistic. We need to play against some higher powered offense to determine if this is real, or Memorex.
I agree,although it was great to see GB hitting on all cylinders,they still need a win against a good team EG: New England ,to make a statement.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No, they just want to see it on a CONSISTENT basis. The Lions Are the only good team the defense shut down.

And ironically, who won that game???

So.... we just beat the Bears 55-14. Anything POSITIVE to add? (Of course not, that was rhetorical.)

Last edited:

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
lol. you freaking guys. I understand your trepidation. I don't want to risk jinxing it with my excitement, either. But seriously, he was pretty awesome last night. Right?

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And ironically, who won that game???

So.... we just beat the Bears 55-14. Anything POSITIVE to add? (Of course not, that was rhetorical.)

You're An A hole ...you're a nice a hole but an A hole none the less ...hope that's positive enough for ya;)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts