Childress leads military style practice.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Vikings adapting to new routine under Childress
Associated Press

EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. -- Asked about his supposed elation over finding backup quarterback Mike McMahon available as a free agent, Brad Childress responded aptly in a manner befitting his personality.

"I don't know if I deal in 'happy' that much," began the Minnesota coach's reply.

The question became irrelevant, but the flat, blunt tone and the stone face provided a perfect snapshot of the method Childress will use to run his new team.

In all seriousness.

"The discipline and enthusiasm I've seen over the last couple of days here really bodes well for us this coming season," owner Zygi Wilf said this weekend during the first of two minicamps the Vikings have scheduled this spring.

Childress looks a little bit like Gerald McRaney, the lead actor in the 1990s TV sitcom, "Major Dad," and he approaches his job as if he were a Marine sergeant, too.

The minicamp was conducted at a military-like pace, as players sprinted from snap to snap and drill to drill and assistant coaches enthusiastically barked instructions, criticism and praise. The short, slender Childress, his gray T-shirt neatly tucked into black warmup pants, stood solemnly in the middle of the frenzy -- rhythmically sharing his insight, shouting occasionally, as he experienced his first practices as an NFL head coach.

"We just kind of stuck our toe in the water in terms of system, but I think we've got some people acclimated into our tempo and what our expectations are on the field, off the field, in the meeting room," Childress said. "And I think those are important things to set."

Safety Darren Sharper remarked about how sore he was following Sunday's practice.

"I think that's a good thing," he said, "because it means that we're working hard."

Working hard with little doubt about the way things will work under the new staff.

Mike Tice, who was fired in January, routinely stressed crisp workouts and placed a premium on efficient practices. But one area where Tice had trouble was with projecting a consistent persona to his players. Some days, he was the stern taskmaster. On others, was the deeply caring father figure. On still others, he was the class clown.

Childress, at least so far, isn't leaving any room for wonder.

"He's a straightforward guy," Sharper said. "His job here is to do his job. You don't really come in here and expect to be going up to eat lunch with your head coach too often. You want to come here and work and that's what championship teams do."

Eventually, as he spends more time with the team and gets to know individual players on more of a personal level, Childress might let the guys get to know him better. Sharper and Childress share mutual friends in football, and Sharper said he's been told that his new boss does, indeed, have a personality.

Between now and the start of the regular season, though, the priority for coaches and players will be placed on establishing comfort with the offensive and defensive schemes.

Very few jobs are safe, either, especially with the draft fast approaching and the strong possibility that several of the 65 veterans on the roster will be released later this spring or summer.

"Everybody's out here working, trying to prove themselves," tight end Jermaine Wiggins said. "Because it's a year-to-year league. It doesn't matter what you did a year or two years ago, it matters what you're going to do every season."

Notes
Quarterback Brad Johnson was excused by Childress from Sunday's practice for a personal matter. ... Defensive end Kenechi Udeze is ahead of schedule on his rehabilitation and already back at his starting spot. Udeze suffered a serious injury to his left knee last September, but he said he feels fine.
-----------

I dont like childress. he bashed culpepper for no reason(he should leave that job to ME)

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know........i can't get over an owner of a team named "ZYGI!!!"LOLOLOL!!! (I wonder if his middle name is "Stardust?") :lol:

rabidgopher04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
"Everybody's out here working, trying to prove themselves," tight end Jermaine Wiggins said. "Because it's a year-to-year league. It doesn't matter what you did a year or two years ago, it matters what you're going to do every season."

I hope Javon Walker reads the newspaper and sees this quote.

V

Vikeman

GakkofNorway said:
they got it all wrong, it wasn't a military practice, it was more like youth criminal bootcamp prison.

How many criminals are currently on the Vikings roster?...and then let's do the packers. This is the type of Packer fan I flat out can't stand.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Vikeman said:
GakkofNorway said:
they got it all wrong, it wasn't a military practice, it was more like youth criminal bootcamp prison.

How many criminals are currently on the Vikings roster?...and then let's do the packers. This is the type of Packer fan I flat out can't stand.

We have three, Vikings have a boat load. ;)

V

Vikeman

Zero2Cool said:
Vikeman said:
GakkofNorway said:

Just three? I'll give you another chance to correct yourself.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
rabidgopher04 said:
tromadz said:

I hope Javon Walker reads the newspaper and sees this quote.

I think he'd have to have someone read it to him.........i doubt that there were pictures! :wink: :lol:

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Vikeman said:
Zero2Cool said:
Vikeman said:
GakkofNorway said:

Just three? I'll give you another chance to correct yourself.

Wait......you mean TOTAL criminals? Or just the ones that have been CAUGHT so far??? LOLOL!!! :lol: Your right......the Vikings are MUCH better at committing crimes,............. and not getting prosecuted! :wink:

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Vikeman said:
gopackgo4 said:
Vikeman just stop your embarrising yourself.

anyone see the irony of this post? 100% pure packer fan. lol, i own this board!

hahaha...screw you.

i pointed it out ahead of time because i knew you were going to use that poor kids sh!tty spelling, and blanket an entire fanbase with it.

i suppose it was too much to pass up though..talk about a setup.

vikings are reely dumm!

V

Vikeman

arrowgargantuan said:
Vikeman said:
gopackgo4 said:
Vikeman just stop your embarrising yourself.

anyone see the irony of this post? 100% pure packer fan. lol, i own this board!

hahaha...screw you.

i pointed it out ahead of time because i knew you were going to use that poor kids sh!tty spelling, and blanket an entire fanbase with it.

i suppose it was too much to pass up though..talk about a setup.

vikings are reely dumm!

lol point proven again

V

Vikeman

arrowgargantuan said:
Vikeman said:
lol point proven again

seriously? did i not make the intent of that misspelling obvious enough for you?

go sit in the corner with gopackgo!

i don't think you misspelled it on purpose. i just think that's the recourse you're taking to cover your idiotic post. go take a walk somewhere. i simply refuse to get in a battle of wits with the unarmed.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
vikeman no matter what you want to say or believe. the entire league knows the vikings as a bunch of convicts and underachieving loser. its not just packer fans.... if you ask ANY random person on the street who has the more law abiding respected team... 10 out of 10 would say the packers. your the inferior franchise.... and you better get used to it sometime. cause it isnt gonna change

V

Vikeman

Packnic said:
vikeman no matter what you want to say or believe. the entire league knows the vikings as a bunch of convicts and underachieving loser. its not just packer fans.... if you ask ANY random person on the street who has the more law abiding respected team... 10 out of 10 would say the packers. your the inferior franchise.... and you better get used to it sometime. cause it isnt gonna change

Yes the entire league knows. Please prove this to me. Of course you would think that...you are a packer fan. Your comments have little merit and are only bias thoughts of a rival fanbase who hates the Vikings...plain and simple. But hey...i'll try your route. If you approached random people on the street and asked them who has better school systems, a cleaner state, less cannablistic serial killers, less ****** tight ends, running backs who poop in closets, drug addicted quarterbacks, less players who get arrested for domestic violoence, white trash, trailer parks, alcoholics, and abortions that lived...they would say Minnesota. Now I sound like you. Are Ryan Longwell and Darren sharper inferior now too? Coming from a fan of a team who's got a 4-12 record, was dominated in the only Packer Viking playoff game ever at home, doesn't exactly have a dominating overall record against the Vikes...I would say the word "inferior" doesn't apply. Do yourself a favor and do not interupt when the grownups are talking, and stop building your self-esteem around a football team. Go away.

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Vikeman said:
arrowgargantuan said:
Vikeman said:
lol point proven again

seriously? did i not make the intent of that misspelling obvious enough for you?

go sit in the corner with gopackgo!

i don't think you misspelled it on purpose. i just think that's the recourse you're taking to cover your idiotic post. go take a walk somewhere. i simply refuse to get in a battle of wits with the unarmed.

thats sad. bye.

gopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
VIkeman heres a few examples of what your team has done the last few years. DUI, Sexboat scandal, Scalping Scandal, The orginal whizzanator.

Members online

Latest posts