CHIEFS RELEASE DE VONNIE HOLLIDAY

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I liked Vonnie when he was here, but he's starting to physically break down now like Joe Johnson. I don't think it pays in my opinion to throw any amount of money on a guy who can't seem to stay on the field anymore. I liked Gilbert too, but at some point you have to move on if they are breaking down physically. It's too bad because I liked Gilbert and Vonnie, but if they can't stay on the field they can't contribute, no matter how cheap we may get them.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
sixone220 said:
arrowgargantuan said:

couldn't have said it better myself :lol:
I suppose.....

Yet... coming back to the Pack "might" be a good thing...
Biggest question would be - "How greedy is his Agent?"
Bringing him back versus KGB would solidify things and they already know how he plays on the line.

We'll see.....

NCPackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd like to see us bring him back and platoon him with Kampman. I don't think any team is going to throw big $'s at him with his injury history and a platoon situation may help him avoid the injury bug that's plagued him his whole career. We don't have the cap space to go after a big name free agent d-lineman and you never know if a draft choice is going to be able to step right in and produce. Holliday would provide a little more bulk at the end position and if I remember correctly, he was a positive locker room presence. He'd be a good pickup at the right price.

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
I think he'd be a good addition for the Packers. The guy liked GB and with KGB on the other side that can only help him. This of course being he comes to GB for a cheap price.

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
vonnie had his best years in green bay, and his time away proved that we let him go at the right time. sorry but this would be a waste of time and money. he's not even average anymore.

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
arrowgargantuan said:
vonnie had his best years in green bay, and his time away proved that we let him go at the right time. sorry but this would be a waste of time and money. he's not even average anymore.

After saying that, without looking it up, name me all the starters on the defense for KC.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we need to back this train up just a bit and get some CLARIFICATION..... (at least for me anyways....)

Vonnie Holliday has played for KC - How many Years? One? Two?
And out of that, he has had last year playing hurt somewhat... correct?
The guy is how old? 29 - 30... maybe? (guessing now, but will look up later)

I think with the right Coaching - and the right allowance for recuperation... then Vonnie would comeback in a BIG way.... I'm not saying that TT will go after this guy - but then again - we're not flies on the wall in his Office, either.... right, guys? Merit things on the fact that he played hurt quite a bit in the last year... in doing so - his dollar value has dipped and he will not COMMAND that higher salary - and could, maybe sign with Green Bay at a lower cost and bring in some hard effort... I remember everyone thinking it was a big mistake to let Vonnie be the one we let go, when we did... I did not hear conversation anywehre (at that time) that said "Whew, glad to see his tired *** gone, man - I'm tellin' ya" - Did we? I know I didn't - We all thought "WHY?" 'course, Mikey's been no Einstein about the Salary Cap and re-negotiating Contracts - we ALL know that..... If he was that type of GURU - we wouldn't be in the position we are right now. Andrew Brandt let him get away with it, too! That's.... the real shame of it.

We won't know anything till the fat lady sings...
Hasselbeck is staying in Seattle - Alexander got the Franchise tag....
Certain other possibles in FA that everyone hear mentioned are all gone, as well.
Things are changing on a daily basis...
More NOTES about Davenport and his ability to be a Starter on just about any other Team are emerging... and possible dollar value for Ahman is also more conversation I'm reading elsewhere... and what type of pick could that get us...

In FA land - we need to know way in advance - what we could afford...
Right now - that ain't even the thought of the hay wagon, let alone the hay!

Will Brett restructure his contract? I'd say that for GB to bring it up is insulting to Brett and the 13 years of dedication he's already given. Will Sharper prove he truly wants to end his career in GB? I highly doubt it - For three years now DS has shown he's about the money...like a Tom Cruise movie! The "transition tag" was given to Bubba - and rightly so... He's a well respected and admired athlete in GB and elsewhere - BUT.. He's also reviewing the market dollar he might get - it's not like he's signed anything to stay at Lambeau - not yet - it's all still up in the air for Franks. If he leaves - I say bring up Sean McHugh and Ben Steele and start workin' em to death as the two new TE's for Favre to throw to...

As for what we do with anyone else - Wahle is history... period - He wants to see what type of dollar value he can bring his family - and I wish him well. Flanagan will still be around and Wells & Reugamer are there... Rivera may 1)sign off & retire(?) - 2) be asked to take a pay cut, - 3)go elsewhere.... Again, we have replacements.. Wells played so good, after that hiking mistake with the Eagles game that Brett stated he forgot who was in Center - that's an amazing compliment from a QB.

NO MATTER WHAT - the Packers MUST work to create a viable Defense - or otherwise no QB worth anything will ever find himself wearing the SuperBowl Ring on any Team, anywhere... Holliday gets an invite back to GB? I'm okay with that... Why? Cause we now have Jim Bates... that's why! He was slated for an Interview with Bill Belicheck and turned it down fellas... turned it down.... to come to Lambeau Field instead. The Pats loss is our gain! It would not surprise me one bit to see Players heading to GB simply because we now have one Jim Bates.

So, let's back up a minute and see what TT has up his sleeve - Remember, they've been hard at it in the FA & Draft Prep Office for over 6 months... going strong... so they are waaay ahead of the curve on this one and probably know exactly what the Packers options are at this point.... We just get to see the pins drop at the bowling lane now! Personally - I hope they don't waste any dollars in FA - Save it all for the Draft. Use some of our higher cost players to get under the Salary Cap and bring in higher draft picks if possible and then run with it....

If Brett can hang around for two years more - we may see that trophy in Lambeau - where it belongs - right about then! This next year? I'm not countin' the chickens until they all hatch on that one... especially not with the current OC we have.... no way! And "that" is probably what Favre is considering right now.....! The next week will tell us much more than we know now....

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
arrowgargantuan said:
SlickVision said:
After saying that, without looking it up, name me all the starters on the defense for KC.

haha..hell no.

lol

The point I'm going for here, I think with someone on the other side he'd be worth a looksie for the right CHEAP price. I'm not saying the main is the cure all to our problems, I jus think he'd help out as long as we have KGB on the other side and that big boy in the middle.

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
SlickVision said:
lol

The point I'm going for here, I think with someone on the other side he'd be worth a looksie for the right CHEAP price. I'm not saying the main is the cure all to our problems, I jus think he'd help out as long as we have KGB on the other side and that big boy in the middle.

yeah i know what you're saying...valid points. most importantly, not long-winded. :wink:

hehehe

mkapp

Cheesehead
Reaction score
SlickVision said:

Oh... um... there is that one guy. He is around 350ish... tall... and black. you know who i am talking about dont you?

slackerbacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Vonnie, has the same injury many football players, Navies this year, have had....a seperated shoulder that will not stay in place. He had to wear a shoulder jacket to help reduce/prevent the injury. This and money were the main reasons GB let him go. Logic would dictate if he had anything left, the Chiefs would have kept him. Their Def is almost as bad as ours; why would they get rid of a productive player under contract? All that being said, I wouldn't be oppossed to GB giving him a physical.

NCPackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Logic would dictate if he had anything left, the Chiefs would have kept him. Their Def is almost as bad as ours; why would they get rid of a productive player under contract?

Well, he hasn't been very productive, but this should answer your question:

Though only 29 years old, the jury is out on whether Holliday's best days as a disruptive pass rusher and a solid run stopper are behind him.

Holliday had three sacks in his debut with the Chiefs in their 2003 season opener. He mustered only 2 1/2 the rest of the season, despite starting every game, and then went all of 2004 without a sack.

In fact, Holliday was nonexistent much of last season. He appeared in just nine games, missing the last five because of groin and abdomen injuries. When he was healthy, Holliday was relegated to backup status in favor of rookie Jared Allen.

Consequently, the Chiefs didn't think twice about cutting Holliday, who was due a roster bonus of $5.125 million.

"Vonnie and his agent knew that in his initial contract with the Chiefs that the large roster bonus coming due this week would probably preclude his continuation with the Kansas City Chiefs," said Chiefs president Carl Peterson

Here's the whole article:

http://www.greenbaynewschron.com/packer ... cle=130190

I still think Holliday can help us in a platoon role and at the right price. We have many needs on defense and only so much cap room to do it with. Sign him at a bargain basement price and platoon him with Kampman. Hope Washington, Jenkins or Lee step it up to solidify the interior line and go after a linebacker and safety in the draft.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Take him of the list, guys.... not gonna happen!

Read up ----

Packers show no interest in Holliday

from the article said:
Indianapolis - Don't look for defensive end Vonnie Holliday to be back in uniform for the Green Bay Packers any time soon.

Four National Football League teams that agent Brian Levy didn't identify have been pursuing Holliday since his release Wednesday by the Kansas City Chiefs but his old team isn't one of them.

According to Levy, that means the Packers aren't interested.

"They would have called already," Levy said. "I've spoken to (vice president) Andrew Brandt on other issues so I'm sure that would have come up at some point. Four teams have called and are very aggressive."

He means four "other" Teams....... (course, you knew that...)

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
The Miami Dolphins signed defensive end Vonnie Holliday to a two-year contract Saturday.

Holliday was released by Kansas City on Feb. 22. The seven-year NFL veteran was with the Chiefs for two seasons.

He started three games last season and had nine tackles. He has played in 91 career games, with 220 tackles. He has also played for Green Bay.

Members online

Latest posts