1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Announcement is LIVE: Read the Forum Post

Casey Hayward Looks like a Gem so far

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by FrankRizzo, Jul 28, 2012.

1. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,679
    Sat, July 28, 9 pm:

I have to be honest: I excepted Davon House to beat him out for the nickel or dime this year... depending on where Woodson was playing, and thinking Shields would improve.
    But Jarrett Bush has currently passed Shields, and everyone is raving about Hayward.‏
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  2. AmishMafia

AmishMafia Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,863
    Cool. Thanks for posting.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Bensalama21

Bensalama21 Ben

Ratings:
    +607
    I really hope Sam Shields can get back on track... He was looking so promising his rookie year. He's that type of player that needs a high boost of confidence to play well. If we can get Shields rolling, we could have 2 great corners for another generation of Packer football.

4. Wood Chipper

Wood Chipper Fantasy Football Guru

Ratings:
    +1,410
    That is great. If we have Tramon, Shields, and Hayward playing well then Woodson can move to safety.

5. GreenBlood

GreenBlood Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +652
    Pretty sure that decision has already been made, at least for now.

6. slaughter25

slaughter25 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +211
    Thinking this could be the last or one of the last years for Woodson its really nice to think that we have young talent in the secondary to move forward with. I think Williams Shields House Hayward is a pretty good group of guys and I wouldn't be apprehensive moving forward with them. Add in a young Morgan Burnett who IMO has been a very welcome addition to this defense and I think the secondary should be on the rise for the next few years.

Matter of fact the entire defense is so infused with young talented guys right now I really think over the next few years really they will be able to dig out of this hole they are in and return to dominant status in this league.

7. ThxJackVainisi

ThxJackVainisi Lifelong Packers Fanatic

Ratings:
    +3,184
    IMO Hayward has been somewhat overlooked by fans until now. Thompson and his staff liked him so much they traded up 28 spots to grab him. IMO he is a classic example of the contrast between “workout warriors”/“combine guys” and football players. This is from McGinn’s article on him:
    h
    ttp://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/packers-hayward-playing-like-a-pro-r369frj-164162436.html

Short arms, “can’t jump”, and small hands but the kid reads routes and knows where to be when the ball is snapped and that’s makes up for a lot of physical limitations. Those limitations are why he was available at the end of the second round. And while there’s no obvious measurement for football instincts knowledgeable fans, like Justice Potter Stewart on an altogether different subject, ‘know ‘em when they see ‘em’ and that’s exactly what I was hoping we’d see once camp began. And it was those instincts that were translated into production in his college career that caused Thompson to pull the trigger on the trade-up to get him.

I am anything but a “draftnic” (not that there’s anything wrong with that), but as I look at the talent available in the draft every year, I favor players who performed in college and those who displayed the instincts for the game Hayward did. No matter how a team evaluates talent, mistakes are going to be made in the draft, but IMO more significant mistakes are made in selecting players who ‘look like Tarzan, play like Jane’ than in selecting players whose upside may be limited but who also displayed a knack for the game. When the two come together along with a desire to be great, players like Aaron Rodgers and Clay Matthews emerge. Casey Hayward doesn’t have to achieve that level to be a great CB and a vital cog in the defense for seasons to come. Here's hoping...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,679
    Very well said JackVan.

Woodson won't be gone that soon, but his best days aren't ahead of him, so some of this talent at CB has to develop and stay healthy for us.

Like someone said earlier, if the pass rush is good, they'll all look good back there.

9. 13 Times Champs

13 Times Champs Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,379
    He makes good posts on a consistent basis. :tup:

10. chuck johnson

chuck johnson Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    As I mentioned when Casey was drafted. He is a quality person. A very good athlete. The Packers just might have a diamond. Pencil Casey in for the next ten yrs

• Like Like x 1
  11. 13 Times Champs

Ratings:
    +1,379
    I wouldn't pencil him in just yet. Time will tell. I tread slowly on early training camp reports.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. CheeseHead87

CheeseHead87 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +28
    Well put. I'm really looking forward to seeing him play in the pre-season games.

13. TeamTundra

TeamTundra Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +106
    Davon House has also shown significant improvement so far in training camp. CB maybe one of our deepest positions after WR.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Headrush

Headrush Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    According to MM as recently as last week, Woodson is only going to man the Safety spot in the BASE 3-4 DEFENSE. MM also clearly stated this wasn't anything really different than he had been doing in the past. Woodson will return to the slot CB position in Nickel where he can be the impact player he's been for years. They love him to be close to the line of scrimmage where he can be a threat to blitz off the edge and help stuff the run

We didnt play much base defense last season, we were in nickel the majority of the time

Its exciting to hear Hayward is turning heads. The coaches raved about him being a very cerebral player a lot like Woodson is

15. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,679
    Well, 4 1/2 months later, it's now come to this for Casey> https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/12/11/race-for-rookie-of-the-year-week-14/

I don't think anyone in the NFL has a better 1-4 set of pretty young still CB's than we do with:

Tramon
    Hayward
    Shields
    House

Woodson doesn't have to play cornerback anymore with those 4 guys..... but they have to keep improving, especially House.
    House & Shields have to try and add some muscle to their frames because they have to tackle.

16. Vltrophy

Vltrophy Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +391
    Should we get the #2 seed it's possible the road to the SB goes through GB after Falcons loose. I could see the NYGs making it that far. Should we have to go to Atl for the NFC Championship we get butt in domes.

17. Oshkoshpackfan

Oshkoshpackfan YUT !!!

Ratings:
    +1,453
    huh? get butt in domes?? lol

Arod has a great dome record, hope you meant "kick butt in domes", look what he and the pack crew did the last time we faced off in the ATL dome??? We made a puddle out of Matty Ice.

18. AmishMafia

AmishMafia Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,863
    Strange way to judge a CB, but I'm curious. Which would your rank as the prettiest?

Did I log into the wrong website? Now we are getting butt in domes?

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,679
    "Fairly" young, really young, pretty young, kind of young.
    Hey, if you think Tramon and Davon with their long dreads are "pretty", that's your thing haha!

20. 13 Times Champs

Ratings:
    +1,379
    I've seen the kid now and he is a keeper. No doubt his future is bright. Anyone who has followed my posts knows how much I like our young secondary.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. bozz_2006

bozz_2006 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +650
    Gotta get dat!

22. Bensalama21

Bensalama21 Ben

Ratings:
    +607
    Really?
    looks like the contrary. ;)

• Funny Funny x 4
  23. 13 Times Champs

Ratings:
    +1,379
    I think you have me mixed up with someone else.

24. Bensalama21

Bensalama21 Ben

Ratings:
    +607
    I'm messing with you :D... I actually have followed your posts and you are probably the one that talks them up the most. I agree with you though about our secondary.

• Like Like x 1
  25. 13 Times Champs

Ratings:
    +1,379
    Next time put a wink at the end of your posts.