1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Big Announcement Coming for 2015 Football Season!!

Be on the look out for a big Packer Forum announcement when the schedule is released. Full details coming soon...

Capers "experimenting" with the defense

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by rodell330, Oct 2, 2012.

1. rodell330

rodell330 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +984
    I read on packersnews.com that alot of the big chunk passing plays we gave up including the 80 yarder was because Capers installed a new package that would flood the field with db' to help slow down Brees. The issue was that Morgan burnett was calling the plays and there was alot of confusion and miscommunication. Well duh!!! smh.

If you are going to try to install a new package then why not test it out first against a team who's qb is not Drew Brees , and why not have Woodson calling out the defense? this almost cost us the game and our secondary looked bad in the process.

2. AmishMafia

AmishMafia Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,759
    Maybe this package is meant to counteract a QB like Brees. So it wouldn't make sense to use in another game.

Personally, whenever I install my package for the first time [Space reserved for sexual innuendo comment for when I'm not on my work computer].

• Like Like x 1
  3. ThxJackVainisi

ThxJackVainisi Lifelong Packers Fanatic

Ratings:
    +2,831
    The linked article says the package (calm down AmishMafia! ;)) was aimed at Darren Sproles because of how elusive he was in last season's opener against LBs. The reason to unveil it vs. the Saints is because Brees is such an experienced QB, putting a D on the field that the Packers haven't used since the New England game in 2010 had a chance to cross him up. For example, they should be able to confuse a rookie QB like Luck by just disguising schemes they've already shown. Obviously it didn't work, but I don't mind Capers trying something different. Why not Woodson calling the D? No idea - that makes more sense to me than having Burnett do it. BTW, it was not the D used on the 80-yarder.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. GreenBlood

GreenBlood Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +652
    I would surmise its because Woodson roams the field a lot.

5. slaughter25

slaughter25 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +211
    The article I read regarding the topic said that after MD Jennings got hurt they didn't use the "dollar" package anymore. and most of their big plays on 3rd down and 13 of their points came after the in the 2nd half.

6. bozz_2006

bozz_2006 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +645
    Experimenting is a gamble. Doesn't always work. I did like the fake punt and fake FG experiments. Win some, lose some. We'd rather our coaches rely on the same old stuff that they were doing in their first, second, third year on the job? Don't think so.

7. MLB

MLB Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +14
    Right, why not try it with a "safer" quarterback? [*cough* Cutler *cough*]

8. Forget Favre

Forget Favre Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,673
    Ya know, it was a HARD time to try and use any PACKAGE. I don't think this was the right time to THRUST FORWARD with that type of defense.
    I mean, they sorta did go soft on us but then they did PERK UP and finish what they started out to do.

(Whew! I'm spent from typing all this. I wonder why?)

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. GeeDogWarrior

GeeDogWarrior 0 - 0

Ratings:
    +139
    Trying to be too fancy.... I'm not against experimenting and developing new things.... but I just hope the coaches make sure to keep it somewhat "blue collar".

10. Powarun

Powarun Big Bay Blues fan

Ratings:
    +416
    You know maybe Capers should listen to McCarthy, get back to the basics. Once you get the basics done then you can complicate things, while yes, having a new package and thing to defend against is a great thing, but the Packers defense is a laughing stock, fix it by getting the little things fixed. Like tackling.

11. PFanCan

PFanCan That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.

Ratings:
    +860
    I was thinking aLONG that same VEIN, FF. But you BEAT me to it.

• Funny Funny x 2
  12. Forget Favre

Forget Favre Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,673
    What's taboo or not to discuss on this board:
    Politics? Nope.
    Religion? Hasn't really come up but probably not. (Unless the Pack is your religion.)
    Drinking and drugs? Depends. A Packers player? Debate ensues. Fan? Well, go for it!
    Sex? Oh hell yes!!!

13. El Guapo

El Guapo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,424
    I have zero problem with Capers experimenting. Trust me, just because he is trying an exotic scheme doesn't mean that they aren't working on the fundamentals...and before we all bash the coaching staff for not teaching the fundamentals, let's all remember that the new CBA really limits the amount of live action that happens in practice. There is only so much you can do. I'm sure that they discuss form and break down into the proper position, but that's a small part of being fundamental at full speed.

Capers is a fine coach. I look at some of his experimenting as getting around some of the fundamentals that they AREN'T able to focus on as much because of the CBA. If anyone remembers Capers first season, the communication was terrible. Everyone was out of place and it was a comedy of errors. By then end of that first season things were buttoning up and then running smooth by Year 2. He'll get these smoothed out again. He's working with a lot of rookies. What more do you expect? Well - I think I know that answer! :D

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. rodell330

rodell330 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +984
    Well there ya go lol

15. DevilDon

DevilDon Inclement Weather Fan

Ratings:
    +445
    Funny, if Capers weren't doing any experimenting how much does anybody want to bet there would be posters complaining that the D suck because Capers never tries anything new to confuse an old vet like Brees?
    I think it was a pretty good idea against them because their run doesn't seem to be much of a threat.
    I believe Woodson wasn't the comms man because his role changes so much between plays that he would not get the looks needed unless if he were back at safety instead of near the line.

16. HyponGrey

HyponGrey Caseus Locutus Est

Ratings:
    +1,030
    Burnett because he's the only Safety that stays a safety and is always on the field.

17. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,127
    I maintain my opinion from the off season...Burnett is miscast as a free safety...strong safety is the better fit for his abilities. Too much "miscommunication", which is too often late communication.