1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Can he take advantage?

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by tromadz, Oct 19, 2006.

1. tromadz

tromadz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Packersnews.com:

Situations like these are why I love sports. Can the underdog player step up? Or will he fizzle and fade away and never be heard from again? Should be fun to watch as the Packers (Hopefully) beat the Dolphins this Sunday.

2. Greg C.

Greg C. Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Ruvell Martin looked great in training camp. He had some good moments in the preseason games, and he was always turning up in the highlight reels from practice. He seemed to have a good ability to get open deep, and he has Javon Walker size, which makes him a big target. I'm surprised that he has thus far made no impact at all in the regular season. I hope he takes advantage of this opportunity.

3. Popcynical

Popcynical Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    That would probably be because he hasn't been on the active roster for the regular season.

4. Greg C.

Greg C. Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    He's been on the active roster three out of five games, but he's just seen special teams duty so far. I thought the coaches might at least try to put him in occasionally and let him run fly patterns, like they used to do with Cory Bradford.

5. CalifPacker

CalifPacker Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    Yea Greg C,

I would have liked to see him run a few down the field too.

Maybe this week is his week?

6. Zombieslayer

Zombieslayer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I really hope so. Considering the bad luck we've had with receivers (when it comes to injuries that is) in the past few years, would be nice to have some depth. I'm quite content with Driver and Jennings, so hoping Martin proves himself to keep the #3 spot even when Ferguson returns.

7. Buckeyepackfan

Buckeyepackfan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Look for The Packers to get Martin isolated on a safety or linebacker early in the game, then he needs to show Brett that he is ready to step into the #3 spot.
    Just as important as Ruvell getting confidence is Brett having confidence in him.
    If he can show Brett he knows where he is supposed to be and will make the catch when thrown too, you know #4 will find him when he is open.

8. PackFanInSC

PackFanInSC Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    If he can show something during the games, Robinson's return next year would probably be the end for Ferguson.

9. warhawk

warhawk Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +38
    He's obviously gotten caught in the shuffle but I thought he did well in the pre-season when the fringe players were able to show what they had.

It was interesting to hear the Saints coach describe how their 7th round pick was given the opportunity to get where he has. He had learned from a prior coach to not consider ANYTHING about a player regarding past college performance, numbers, etc.

He was only concerned with what he saw on the field and how the player performed. By evaluating these guys by what he sees on the field and not influenced by their past accomplishments or where their draft position was is what allowed this kid to get his chance in NO.

10. Cdnfavrefan

Cdnfavrefan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    May seem like a long shot but let's all remember Donald was a 7th round pick and it often comes down to how bad does he want it. I do think we'll see a lot of 2 TE sets this week as we have as many TE as we have WR's. Maybe this is why Porky was worried about keeping all those TE's and not enough WR's. BTW has Porky been here lately, or has he also left?

11. tano1998

tano1998 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    if he can take advantage, it has to be this sunday....the dolphins have the entire secondary out....so let's see...

12. kmac

kmac Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    If Heath Miller can bust an 80 yard TD run on the Phins, so can Ruvell Martin. I really hope that he plays well, both because we need him to and he sounds like he's a great guy.