Can he take advantage?

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packersnews.com:

Opportunity knocks for receiver Martin

By Dylan B. Tomlinson
Gannett Wisconsin Newspapers

On Sept. 24, Ruvell Martin's NFL dream was about to come true.

The Michigan native and Green Bay Packers wide receiver was about to play against the Detroit Lions at Ford Field in front of friends and family.

Then, a few hours before gametime, Martin got the news he was dreading.

"I'm going home and they put me on the inactive list. That killed me," Martin said with a wistful laugh and a shake of his head. "I knew it was coming, because they had taken me off special teams earlier in the week, but that didn't make the news any easier to take. I was like, 'C'mon, any game but this one.'"

After being the darling of training camp, Martin has been all but forgotten during the regular season.

Martin, in his third attempt to make an NFL roster, bucked the odds when he beat out former first-round draft choice Rod Gardner and fourth-round pick Cory Rodgers in training camp.

While Martin is grateful to be on the Packers' roster, he hasn't seen much playing time. Through the first five games of the season, he has been inactive twice and has not made his first NFL catch.

"It's been really tough," Martin said. "I'm not totally surprised by it, because I knew as the fourth or fifth receiver, I wasn't going to play much except on special teams. But like any football player, I want to get out there and show everyone what I can do."

Martin may be about to get his chance. With a foot injury keeping Robert Ferguson out for the next month or so and the year-long suspension to Koren Robinson, Martin has been handed the job as the No. 3 receiver.

"He's played at the same level as he did during training camp, but he hasn't had the chance to show that, because he hasn't gotten the playing time," Packers offensive coordinator Jeff Jagodzinski said. "I think he has a chance to participate a little more than he has. He did a good job in training camp, and he became the No. 4, where he doesn't get as many touches and reps, but he knows all the positions and that will help him."

Packers receivers coach Jimmy Robinson said Martin's lack of playing time is no reflection of a lack of confidence in him.

"He's done well, but there are a lot of good players ahead of him," Robinson said. "We don't usually go that deep into our depth chart on game day unless we have to. With the current situation, he's definitely going to get the chance to play a little more."

Martin said that's all he wants.

"I definitely see this as an opportunity," Martin said. "I know the coaches have seen me do well in practice. I haven't done it in a game, because I haven't really gotten the shot."

After the Packers signed Robinson in Week 2, Martin said he couldn't help but wonder if the move was going to cost him his job.

"When you've gotten here the way I have, you wonder about how every move is going to affect you," Martin said. "Nothing around here is guaranteed. They're making decisions about players all the time."

After being inactive for the Lions and Eagles games, Martin said he often showed up at Lambeau Field wondering if that was going to be his last day with the team.

"I kind of did the first couple of weeks," Martin said. "Tuesdays were the worst, because that's the day they would usually make those kind of decisions.

"But, I'm still here. I've kind of adopted the attitude that as long as I show up and work hard every day that I'll be OK."

Martin is quick to admit he needs to take advantage of his current opportunity.

"I know they're looking at me, and this is it for me," Martin said. "This is big. I have to show them that they made the right move keeping me here."

Situations like these are why I love sports. Can the underdog player step up? Or will he fizzle and fade away and never be heard from again? Should be fun to watch as the Packers (Hopefully) beat the Dolphins this Sunday.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ruvell Martin looked great in training camp. He had some good moments in the preseason games, and he was always turning up in the highlight reels from practice. He seemed to have a good ability to get open deep, and he has Javon Walker size, which makes him a big target. I'm surprised that he has thus far made no impact at all in the regular season. I hope he takes advantage of this opportunity.

Popcynical

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
Ruvell Martin looked great in training camp. He had some good moments in the preseason games, and he was always turning up in the highlight reels from practice. He seemed to have a good ability to get open deep, and he has Javon Walker size, which makes him a big target. I'm surprised that he has thus far made no impact at all in the regular season. I hope he takes advantage of this opportunity.

That would probably be because he hasn't been on the active roster for the regular season.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That would probably be because he hasn't been on the active roster for the regular season.

He's been on the active roster three out of five games, but he's just seen special teams duty so far. I thought the coaches might at least try to put him in occasionally and let him run fly patterns, like they used to do with Cory Bradford.

CalifPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:

He's been on the active roster three out of five games, but he's just seen special teams duty so far. I thought the coaches might at least try to put him in occasionally and let him run fly patterns, like they used to do with Cory Bradford.

Yea Greg C,

I would have liked to see him run a few down the field too.

Maybe this week is his week?

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
Popcynical said:

Yea Greg C,

I really hope so. Considering the bad luck we've had with receivers (when it comes to injuries that is) in the past few years, would be nice to have some depth. I'm quite content with Driver and Jennings, so hoping Martin proves himself to keep the #3 spot even when Ferguson returns.

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Look for The Packers to get Martin isolated on a safety or linebacker early in the game, then he needs to show Brett that he is ready to step into the #3 spot.
Just as important as Ruvell getting confidence is Brett having confidence in him.
If he can show Brett he knows where he is supposed to be and will make the catch when thrown too, you know #4 will find him when he is open.

PackFanInSC

Cheesehead
Reaction score
CalifPacker said:
Greg C. said:
Popcynical said:

Yea Greg C,

I really hope so. Considering the bad luck we've had with receivers (when it comes to injuries that is) in the past few years, would be nice to have some depth. I'm quite content with Driver and Jennings, so hoping Martin proves himself to keep the #3 spot even when Ferguson returns.

If he can show something during the games, Robinson's return next year would probably be the end for Ferguson.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's obviously gotten caught in the shuffle but I thought he did well in the pre-season when the fringe players were able to show what they had.

It was interesting to hear the Saints coach describe how their 7th round pick was given the opportunity to get where he has. He had learned from a prior coach to not consider ANYTHING about a player regarding past college performance, numbers, etc.

He was only concerned with what he saw on the field and how the player performed. By evaluating these guys by what he sees on the field and not influenced by their past accomplishments or where their draft position was is what allowed this kid to get his chance in NO.

Cdnfavrefan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
May seem like a long shot but let's all remember Donald was a 7th round pick and it often comes down to how bad does he want it. I do think we'll see a lot of 2 TE sets this week as we have as many TE as we have WR's. Maybe this is why Porky was worried about keeping all those TE's and not enough WR's. BTW has Porky been here lately, or has he also left?

tano1998

Cheesehead
Reaction score
if he can take advantage, it has to be this sunday....the dolphins have the entire secondary out....so let's see...

kmac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Heath Miller can bust an 80 yard TD run on the Phins, so can Ruvell Martin. I really hope that he plays well, both because we need him to and he sounds like he's a great guy.

Members online

Latest posts