Busting myth Packers in 2020

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If I were the head coach of the Packers, the guy that I would want backing up my starting QB would be the man with two years of experience and knowledge of the offense. The rookie QB who's mini-camps and pre-season were limited due to Covid, would ride the pine for a year learning the game. We're in no hurry.

Fat Dogs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If I were the head coach of the Packers, the guy that I would want backing up my starting QB would be the man with two years of experience and knowledge of the offense. The rookie QB who's mini-camps and pre-season were limited due to Covid, would ride the pine for a year learning the game. We're in no hurry.

You would start Boyle on experience alone? Even if Love looked the same or better in practice? I would highly doubt that. Burrow, Herbert, Tua, and Hurts had the same shortened off season and they faired just fine. Were they more prepared because they all had accomplished resumes from major college conferences? It’s hard to picture any of these guys getting out played by Boyle enough not to suit up.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Burrow looks the part, Herbert has. I didn't think he'd be good LOL. Tua? Miami has to be having serious discussions if they think they made the right choice or not and Hurts, while it was exciting for Eagles fans, has a long long ways to go before he reaches the "fine" level. He could run that saved him. he has a lot of growth to do in other areas or he'll have nothing but some highlights to go with a bunch of losses if he can't be better with the ball as a passer he isn't going to amount to anything

scotscheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm going to keep *****ing and moaning about the Love pick 8 months later, even though I have no idea what the FO thought process is, and other members hypothesis doesn't match with my thoughts that it is the worst decision in the history of the universe

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

scotscheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Burrow looks the part, Herbert has. I didn't think he'd be good LOL. Tua? Miami has to be having serious discussions if they think they made the right choice or not and Hurts, while it was exciting for Eagles fans, has a long long ways to go before he reaches the "fine" level. He could run that saved him. he has a lot of growth to do in other areas or he'll have nothing but some highlights to go with a bunch of losses if he can't be better with the ball as a passer he isn't going to amount to anything
dammit, why did you have to post this before I got my reply in

Fat Dogs

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Burrow is ridiculous. I thought Herbert would be good but not this early on. Tua is struggling but will be fine after some growing pains and better receivers. You may be right about Hurts. Very exciting but no accuracy.

Fat Dogs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm going to keep *****ing and moaning about the Love pick 8 months later, even though I have no idea what the FO thought process is, and other members hypothesis doesn't match with my thoughts that it is the worst decision in the history of the universe

Grown ups talking here. You should drive to the kindergarten where nobody has opinions. You can suck on your juice box and take naps with the others while the grown ups talk about big people things.

scotscheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
mostly because I'm an *******. Sorry
i think I can let you off

Grown ups talking here. You should drive to the kindergarten where nobody has opinions. You can suck on your juice box and take naps with the others while the grown ups talk about big people things.

grown up? aye, ok then

why do you mention opinions when it's clear you think only yours is relevant?

Fat Dogs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i think I can let you off

grown up? aye, ok then

why do you mention opinions when it's clear you think only yours is relevant?

I was having a conversation. That’s what you do here. We are all capable of taking cheap shots at people but some of us choose not to. Good luck with that.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You would start Boyle on experience alone? Even if Love looked the same or better in practice? I would highly doubt that. Burrow, Herbert, Tua, and Hurts had the same shortened off season and they faired just fine. Were they more prepared because they all had accomplished resumes from major college conferences? It’s hard to picture any of these guys getting out played by Boyle enough not to suit up.

It's hard to find a parallel around the league, but yes, having the Vet as the no. 2 on game day makes a lot of sense.

Backups don't get many reps during the week. Should your starter get injured, your backup needs to come in a play basically cold. And run a game plan that may not be suited to him. A rookie without a training camp is setup to fail. Not that he certainly will, but you're not giving him the best chance. Let the vet come in, survive the game, and get out of there.

Now the next week is where you get look critically. If you think your rookie is good, give him all week and hell, name him the starter. Tailor the game plan to his strengths, run those plays in practice, etc.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Okay Fat Dogs, tell me why YOU would make Love the backup QB. If you tell me purely based on his draft position, that will end the conversation right there. Good teams re-evaluate players constantly. Bad teams slot them in based on draft position and fan desires.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Boyle showed some legit arm talent in his pre-season appearances. I'd be leery of practice only reports at this time and besides these guys played for teams without much to lose. It's different when you are in the playoffs or have super bowl aspirations. Besides Love struggled in his practices and in any event Boyle's command of the offense who likely pay dividends to everyone else on the offense, MLFs system will not work better if he has to dumb things down for a new QB.

Besides Love was taken with the expectation that he would be a multi year project.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll just say simply, that Tonyan is progressing very well for a guy with one game started each of the last two seasons. At 52 receptions that is pretty darn good for a TE. His catch percentage at 88.1% is better than Devante Adam's rate of 77.2%. He is an ascending player with a lot of tread remaining on the tires.

That Tonyan catch percentage screams for more targets. I for one think he should get a minimum of 5 per game.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I still like the Love pick. Favre had arguably his best season in 2009, playing for spite. His career ended in 2010. Rodgers had arguably his best season in 2020 also playing for spite. The Packers were 100% right to get the next QB in the door so that we aren't in the same spot as the 2020 Patriots. It wasn't ****, it didn't help this year, but if Love is what they think he is then it was absolutely the right move.

Rodgers might be just like an old carbureted boat motor about to run out of gas. Less fuel and higher air is creating a lean mixture that is revving higher at the end before flaming out! I hope that is wrong, but Rodgers' age and less-than-stellar past seasons led them to draft Love. As they always say, it's better to shed a player a year early than a year later. People moaned about Jordy, but that was also the right move. GMs need to act without the emotion that the rest of us can't separate from our love of the game.

Favre played in a harsher NFL, where diving into a QBs knees was acceptable and roughing the passer was much looser in its enforcement. Rodgers played much of his career getting love taps in situations which would have seen Favre get blown up. I wager that Brett had significantly more wear and tear on his body at this point of his career.

Based on what I'm seeing Rodgers looks like he could play at a high level for another 5 years. Love was taken with a certain measure of ruthlessness in mind, Rodgers could be lost permanently in any snap and quite frankly Love probably will not succeed. So you grab Rodgers replacement while he still has atleast a couple years in the tank and if said replacement doesnt pan out you can hedge your bets and draft another and another after that.

As for Rodgers performance, he's playing in a much better offense that plays upon misdirection and balance to slow down the pass rush and to prevent defenses from loading up against an offense obsessed with pushing the ball downfield. Now we work the checkdowns when there's room, consistently, and run whenever teams spread their D-lines out against passing sets on early downs. Rodgers has, as a result, taken the fewest number of sacks in his career as a starter. If you take his average over the past 3 years his takedowns have been cut in half. I guarantee that has him playing with more juice. It also bodes well for his performance playing into the future. Rodgers is more patient with the run game than he has been at any point in his career and maybe he's finally accepted that a balanced offense will extend his career.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Based on what I'm seeing Rodgers looks like he could play at a high level for another 5 years.
Rodgers played much of his career getting love taps in situations which would have seen Favre get blown up.
CT: When St. Tom of Brady hangs up his cleats, QBs become fair game again.

:eek:

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's hard to find a parallel around the league, but yes, having the Vet as the no. 2 on game day makes a lot of sense.

Backups don't get many reps during the week. Should your starter get injured, your backup needs to come in a play basically cold. And run a game plan that may not be suited to him. A rookie without a training camp is setup to fail. Not that he certainly will, but you're not giving him the best chance. Let the vet come in, survive the game, and get out of there.

Now the next week is where you get look critically. If you think your rookie is good, give him all week and hell, name him the starter. Tailor the game plan to his strengths, run those plays in practice, etc.

Sure around the league it is but you don't have to look any farther then Rodgers very own rookie year. He was NOT the backup. Craig Nall was.

So its really just a ***** fest that Love didn't get to suit up, hand the ball off and take knees during blowouts

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would have Love as the backup. If we had a backup like Dalton, Flacco, foles, brissett etc. like an actual veteran who’s shown they can win a game in the nfl then sure, they would rightfully be the number 2 for a team like ours, but Tim Boyle? He’s never played an nfl game, not exactly a veteran, I think he’s thrown less than 5 passes in the nfl. Love should be the backup because he’s more talented and just as proven in this league as Boyle. At least it would get Love a few more reps during the week in practice.

Last edited:

Fat Dogs

Cheesehead
Reaction score

What you said at the end does make a lot of sense. Let the more experienced guy back Rodgers up on Sundays and reevaluate the following week if need be.

Fat Dogs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Okay Fat Dogs, tell me why YOU would make Love the backup QB. If you tell me purely based on his draft position, that will end the conversation right there. Good teams re-evaluate players constantly. Bad teams slot them in based on draft position and fan desires.

The Packers think Boyle gives them a best chance to win and that was my point. All teams should dress the better QB. Boyle isn’t a starting QB in the NFL and he probably won’t ever be so I thought it was disheartening for fans that Love wasn’t getting snaps over him. You guy’s defending Love could be right. The FO might have had a plan not to play Love this season no matter what the situation or do what Mradtke66 said. Nobody knows. I just assumed he didn’t look good.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know that’s what we do here... but this seems like an argument about nothing.

Fat Dogs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know that’s what we do here... but this seems like an argument about nothing.

Good thing I didn’t make a thread on it then. Lol I didn’t even bring the subject up but just went with it. Young QB’s usually get reps at the end of games if blowouts occur. We’ve seen this many Sundays throughout the history of football. The Packers didn’t exercise that option and I had my opinions on why. It’s no biggie. I think people get irritated because the subject has been put to exhaustion. I’m going to label it as taboo just like talking about politics and religion.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good thing I didn’t make a thread on it then. Lol I didn’t even bring the subject up but just went with it. Young QB’s usually get reps at the end of games if blowouts occur. We’ve seen this many Sundays throughout the history of football. The Packers didn’t exercise that option and I had my opinions on why. It’s no biggie. I think people get irritated because the subject has been put to exhaustion. I’m going to label it as taboo just like talking about politics and religion.
I don’t think it’s taboo... just really not a big deal.

Members online

Latest posts