Bucky Brooks Mock Draft

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You gotta love the enthusiam brooks brings for the packers in his first mock draft of the year. However i don't agree with at least half the picks he is making. Joe haden and eric berry go to the same team? That's like having a mini ed reed mini asante samual in your backfield, there is no way any nfl GM would allow that to happen. And going back to the packers pick, a lot of nfl scouts don't have jahvid best as a first round pick. He's a high risk high reward player who comes from an offense that you don't see in the nfl. And most importantly ted would have to pay him 1st round money in the ball park of 3-4 mill per yr. I doubt he would want provide grant with distractions about salary if a rookie starts making as much as he does.

ThinkICare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seems like if C.J. Spiller would fall to us, we would draft him. Bucky has him falling pretty far. C.J. Spiller is much more valuable and faster.

OP
OP
Mr. StyleZ

Mr. StyleZ

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Seems like if C.J. Spiller would fall to us, we would draft him. Bucky has him falling pretty far. C.J. Spiller is much more valuable and faster.

Yea, but I can't see Spiller falling to #23. Anyways it depends... C.J. seems a tad faster and stronger, but Best has far superior footwork, IMO.. I guess it depends, if we don't do much about our O-Line, it will be harder on a smaller guy like Best. If the options at O-Line (FA/Trade wise) are slim, and Spiller is available, that may be the better choice, yes. I don't think you can go wrong either way. Best has more talent in my opinion, but Spiller seems more NFL ready, but the Pack isn't in dire need for a RB so this plays in effect..

ThinkICare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, I was just saying if you had to decide between the 2, I'd take Spiller. Lot of mocks talk about him being a great receiver which would add another weapon for Rodgers. His return skills are amazing too from what I saw on Youtube. We definitely need a change-of-pace sort of back, but not as much as we need an OT or CB.

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mock draft 1.0: Where's Tim Tebow? Not in this first round

Now this is interesting...

And honestly I can see this happening.. and I wouldn't be upset at all. I agree if Jahvid Best falls to us, we should take him in a heartbeat. And guess what?! He's from CAL too!

Using another high round selection on a position that depends on the O-line for most of its success would be another reason the Packers don't advance in the playoffs.

All this value-based-drafting crap sounds really neat and cozy, but at some point, a team has to address its weaknesses "somehow". If not via free agency or the draft, do we all expect the holes to get plugged with faith???

Every year we all buy into this collegiate hype and every year 75% of the hyped players disappoint. I think its high time we establish a new mindset and devise a scheme (if only amongst ourselves) to make the Packers a more dominant squad.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Using another high round selection on a position that depends on the O-line for most of its success would be another reason the Packers don't advance in the playoffs.

All this value-based-drafting crap sounds really neat and cozy, but at some point, a team has to address its weaknesses "somehow". If not via free agency or the draft, do we all expect the holes to get plugged with faith???

Every year we all buy into this collegiate hype and every year 75% of the hyped players disappoint. I think its high time we establish a new mindset and devise a scheme (if only amongst ourselves) to make the Packers a more dominant squad.

you are a Vik fan so you should be happy if the Packers arent addressing they glaring needs:viksux:

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For me it is too early to do this, but it is fun to debate.

I think TT will be focusing on the O-line this off season. If he can't get a quality left tackle in a trade/free agency then I can see him going after another RB to compliment Ryan Grant. Two free agents that come to mind are Chester Taylor of the vikings and Willis McGahee of the Ravens. Both are starting caliber RBs who have already accepted reduced roles on their teams. At this point I think Grant could be the number two guy to either one of these guys or vice versa.

Taylor is a true great running back playing behind AP. Like I said if TT can not find some O-line help the next best thing is to get another weapon on offense that can catch the ball out of the back field and bring that screen pass back to Green Bay, while our O-line goes through a reconstruction phase. Taylor would be perfect fit in this role and be a good insurance policy on Grant.

McGahee is a 28 year old 232 pound running back that has proven over the years as a hard nose type runner that I think would fit our run blocking scheme well.

If we could get either one of those guys, then I can see the Pack picking Bryan Bulaga, left tackle, before Dallas gets his hand on him.

I would really like to see TT go after Taylor, even if it cost a pretty penny, his pass catching skills are first rate and would really help an offensive line with a rookie(Bulaga) at left tackle,Spitz at LG,Wells at C,Sitton at RG,and Lang at right Tackle.

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I think TT will be focusing on the O-line this off season. If he can't get a quality left tackle in a trade/free agency then I can see him going after another RB to compliment Ryan Grant. Two free agents that come to mind are Chester Taylor of the vikings and Willis McGahee of the Ravens. Both are starting caliber RBs who have already accepted reduced roles on their teams. At this point I think Grant could be the number two guy to either one of these guys or vice versa.

Taylor is a true great running back playing behind AP. Like I said if TT can not find some O-line help the next best thing is to get another weapon on offense that can catch the ball out of the back field and bring that screen pass back to Green Bay, while our O-line goes through a reconstruction phase. Taylor would be perfect fit in this role and be a good insurance policy on Grant.

McGahee is a 28 year old 232 pound running back that has proven over the years as a hard nose type runner that I think would fit our run blocking scheme well.

If we could get either one of those guys, then I can see the Pack picking Bryan Bulaga, left tackle, before Dallas gets his hand on him.

I would really like to see TT go after Taylor, even if it cost a pretty penny, his pass catching skills are first rate and would really help an offensive line with a rookie(Bulaga) at left tackle,Spitz at LG,Wells at C,Sitton at RG,and Lang at right Tackle.

I like the Chester Taylor option because I like the way he runs. He is patient and waits for holes to develop, unlike his over-hyped counterpart. Taylor is also reliable catching passes. As far as Willis, I'm not a big fan because of his injury history and attitude and also the fact that Baltimore has stud bulls on the O-line opening holes - we do not.

As far as drafting a tackle, I'll take anything I can get. However, are we all absolutely, positively certain that our guard(s) and center(s) are of the caliber we need to become a somewhat dominant rushing attack and pass protecting unit? I am not, so I'll need somebody to break that down for me.

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like the Chester Taylor option because I like the way he runs. He is patient and waits for holes to develop, unlike his over-hyped counterpart. Taylor is also reliable catching passes. As far as Willis, I'm not a big fan because of his injury history and attitude and also the fact that Baltimore has stud bulls on the O-line opening holes - we do not.

As far as drafting a tackle, I'll take anything I can get. However, are we all absolutely, positively certain that our guard(s) and center(s) are of the caliber we need to become a somewhat dominant rushing attack and pass protecting unit? I am not, so I'll need somebody to break that down for me.

I agree with you questioning the interior of the O-line as well. I think Sitton is a quality guy who has yet hit his potential. Colledge IMO has not lived up to his potential, for as many years he has in the league, he was a night and day player this past year. I think the jury is still out on Spitz, but at this time I think he is as good as Colledge with more of an upside.

I know when people hear the name Barbre they freak, but I think he has a big frame and athletic ability that fits better at one of the guard positions . Even at right tackle this year he was a very good run blocker, which is why he won the starting position in the first place. His pass blocking on the speedy DE in the league is where his problems are. I would not be surprised if he did compete for that left guard position, thus moving Spitz over to center replacing Wells.

This year we have to many needs on the O-line, both tackle positions are up in the air. I think it is important to note that even though Tauscher played well, he only started and finished 6 or 7 games this year. Can he take the punishment of a preseason and a full 16 games/playoffs. We know Clifton had his problems all during the year and finished hurt, would not have been able to play the next playoff game.

IMO if Clifton does not get good money/starting position he retires. Tauscher is a gamble, but for the right price would be worth it as long as his replacement is on the team ready.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At this point finding a left tackle via free agency seems damn near impossoble since most of them are slated to b RFA's. And will ppl stop bringing up the idea of getting joe thomas, think about how many other teams are interested in getting him. Like some experts are predicting, it only takes one gm to start an all out bidding war due to the limited number of free agents this season. If we instigate a trade option for him think about how many other teams would want in on the offers.

monkeyracer43

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Taylor would fit the Packers system better than McGahee because of his veraltility, but I wouldn't complain if we got either one. Bulaga would be a great pick, but I worry he won't make it to #23. A lot of teams seem to be looking for upgrades in o-line talent, and I think the top prospects will be gone by they time the Packers's pick rolls around. But we'll have a better idea of where guys will go after the combines.

ThinkICare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sitton is a keeper and I don't know about Colledge. I have a feeling he'll be let go and we might draft a guard.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As far as OL, we have, IMHO:

1) Sitton, a very good starter for years to come.

2) Wells, who has proven this year, playing the likes of Shaun Rodgers, Casey Hampton and Pat Williams, a good starting center, who knows protections and is a crafty veteran.

3) Mark Tauscher, who can probably still go one or two years, and played at a starter's level this, and the last year, and is healthy.

4) T.J. Lang, who showed, IMHO, that he's ready to start. He's not very well suited for the Left Tackle position, but he played well.

That's it. IMHO we have a competent LT, a serviceable at best LG (needs to be adressed), a competent C, a very good young LG, and a very good old RT.

So, the way I see it, if we can get Russell Okung, Antonhy Davis or even Bruce Campbell (as a project), we should get an OL in the first round.

Charles Brown, Bryan Bulaga, Trent Williams and Selvish Capers IMHO would NOT be an upgrade over what we have right now. Not to mention the possibility of getting them in the 2nd round, as well as Iupati, which IMHO is a better guard than those are tackles, and would be an upgrade over what we have, though guards are not as highly regardeds as LTs are.

So, the way I see it, if we're presented to pick between Bryan Bulaga and C.J. Spiller, I would take Spiller. I don't know about Best, though. I don't see him as dynamic as Spiller. I don't even know if he would be an upgrade over Grant, as Spiller could be the perfect complement to Grant, or vice-versa.

Let it be known that I would be far from disappointed if we took any of the OL mentioned here. I just think Spiller would be a better option.

My dream, though, is that either Joe Haden or Eric Berry hurt their feet, perform terribly at the combine, and fall to us. A man can dream... Imagine, Charles Woodson, Al Harris, Nick Collins and Eric Berry? Can you fathom Woodson covering one side, Harris the other, and having Haden and Williams to play as nickel and dime, and being able to eventually develop into probowl CBs? NO MORE JARRETT BUSH! That would be a dream...

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
NO MORE JARRETT BUSH! That would be a dream...
:happy0005: :happy0005: :happy0005: :happy0005: :happy0005: :happy0005: :happy0005: :happy0005: :happy0005: :happy0005: :happy0005: :happy0005: :happy0005: :happy0005: :happy0005: :happy0005: :happy0005: :happy0005: :happy0005: :happy0005: :happy0005: :happy0005: :happy0005: :happy0005: :happy0005: :happy0005: :happy0005: :happy0005: :happy0005: :happy0005: :happy0005: :happy0005: :happy0005: :happy0005: :happy0005: :happy0005: :happy0005: :happy0005: :happy0005: :happy0005: :happy0005: :happy0005: :happy0005: :happy0005: :happy0005: :happy0005: :happy0005: :happy0005: :happy0005: :happy0005: :happy0005: :happy0005: :happy0005: :happy0005: :happy0005: :happy0005: :happy0005: :happy0005: :happy0005: :happy0005: :happy0005: :happy0005: :happy0005: :happy0005: :happy0005: :happy0005: :happy0005: :happy0005: :happy0005: :happy0005: :happy0005: :happy0005: :happy0005: :happy0005: :happy0005: :happy0005: :happy0005: :happy0005: :happy0005: :happy0005: :happy0005: :happy0005: :happy0005: :happy0005: :happy0005: :happy0005: :happy0005: :happy0005: :happy0005: :happy0005: :happy0005: :happy0005: :happy0005: :happy0005: :happy0005: :happy0005: :happy0005: :happy0005::happy0005: :happy0005: :happy0005: :happy0005: :happy0005: :happy0005: :happy0005: :happy0005: :happy0005: :happy0005: :happy0005: :happy0005: :happy0005: :happy0005::happy0005: :happy0005: :happy0005: :happy0005: :happy0005: :happy0005: :happy0005: :happy0005: :happy0005: :happy0005: :happy0005: :happy0005: :happy0005: :happy0005: :happy0005: :happy0005: :happy0005: :happy0005: :happy0005: :happy0005:

ThinkICare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why aren't you a fan of Bulaga RS? From what I've heard he's an NFL ready Tackle. A better all-around prospect then that of Campbell, Davis, and Brown. The reason Campbell and Davis will probably be drafted before him is because of their huge upside I keep hearing about.

Members online

Latest posts