Brett fans have moved on?

D

Dan115

When the time comes that first his number is retired, then he is inducted into the Packers HOF (Neither of which they should do but the Packers is a class organization and feels that they must follow the tradition of acknowledging past great players.) and then the NFL HOF, well, this forum could go quite a bit nuts. It may explode. Literally.
When Aaron Rodgers wins another SB title then that may help take away any lingering bad feelings any of us has towards BrINT.

He will go into the NFL HOF before his number is retired or Packer HOF. He will be the first player to be in the NFL HOF and NOT in the Packer HOF. After TED is long gone Favre will reunite with the Packers. This is by Favre's doing NOT THE Packers.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He will go into the NFL HOF before his number is retired or Packer HOF. He will be the first player to be in the NFL HOF and NOT in the Packer HOF. After TED is long gone Favre will reunite with the Packers. This is by Favre's doing NOT THE Packers.
See? He hasn't been inducted or number retired yet and already buttons are pushed.

It's out of my hands for any input into either HOF or numbers being retired.
So whatever they do with BrINT, I'll just have to find a way to accept it or just simply not care.
I'm OK with the Packers recognizing him when he was a Packer. He was good. He brought back the glory days after years of not having them.
But now he's done and gone and that is good enough for me.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Come and listen to a story about a man named Brett
A poor country boy, always gave his Daddy fits,
Then one day he was shootin off at Ted,
And just as the tears flowed, his career was dead.

Dead that is, long walk, short pier.

Well the first thing you know ol Brett's a pink slip heir,
Kinfolk said "Brett move away from there"
Said "Minnesoty is the place you ought to be"
So they loaded up the truck and moved to New Jersey.

Jenn, that is. Sterger text, pants on ground.

Well now its time to say good by to Brett and all his kin.
And Minnesoty thanked his butt fer kindly droppin in.
He's not invited back a gain to that locality
They had a heapin helpin of his "int" ability.

Lawnmower that is. Set a spell, Take your shoes off.

And don't come back now, y'hear?.

(With apologies to the good folks who wrote the Beverly Hillbillies theme song.) It's the off season and I'm really bored. Can you tell?

GreenBayGal

Cheese Goddess
Reaction score

(With apologies to the good folks who wrote the Beverly Hillbillies theme song.) It's the off season and I'm really bored. Can you tell?
:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:......etc

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score

This. Is. Comedy. Gold.

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
When did he change his mind? When he was with the Packers and he wanted to 'unretire' the 5th and final time, and MM would not take him back, he told TT and MM to cut him so he could play for the Vikings and stick it to them.

He got traded to the Jets with a poison pill so that he couldn't go to the Vikings and stick it to the Packers as he told them he wanted to do.

So he gets cut from the Jets and ends up with the Vikings as he told TT he wanted to do so he could stick it to the Packers.

Now, at what point did he change his mind?

Other than the 6 'i want to retire' things?

And if you think thats not the reaction of a vengeful 5 year old, I don't know what is. Toss in calling the Lions and 1 other team - that we know of - and trying to help them beat the Packers and you can see where Brett's heart was at. What really churns my butter is that he states 'Real Packer fans will understand why I am going to play for the Vikings.' In that statement he defined his super ego - thinking he was greater than the Packers. I think he actually thought that Lambeau would be empty because fans would be at home watching the Vikings play.

I hope he is never in the Packer HOF - let alone having his number retired. Let the Vikings do that, they can have him and his legacy.

Hey i never used the he changed his mind..that came from the Brett fans

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I think the reason he retired from the Jets was because he got the crap beat out of him. I am 56 and when I get hurt now it hurts worse and the healing is slower. If it's not slower it sure seems like it. The Vikings were losers before Brett. If he wanted to stick it to the Packers he probably could have went to the Bears if he pushed it.
Perhaps you missed it. Peter King wrote this in February of 2009, after Favre had “retired” from the Jets: “The reality, Favre knows now, is he not only wanted to play again, but he wanted to show Green Bay -- particularly general manager Ted Thompson -- that it was making a big mistake in going forward without him. "Part of me coming back last year, I have to admit now, was sticking it to Ted,'' he said in a rather startling admission.” Favre’s own words. And even Favre had to understand that by “sticking it to Ted” he was also sticking it to many Packers fans too. LINK to King’s MMQB.

In this same MMQB piece King wrote, “Let's go back to my visit to Favre's Mississippi house late last July, when it was apparent he wanted to play for one team and one team only -- Minnesota -- after he became convinced the Packers wouldn't give him his job back, but would give him permission to talk to teams of their choice in hopes he could be convinced to go somewhere else.”

When King writes about “late last July” he is of course referring to July of 2008. Not coincidently that’s the same month the Packers filed tampering charges against the Vikings. The Packers alleged there was a lot of phone contacts between Darrell Bevell (remember him?) and Favre.

The Vikings were bad in 2008 but they had Adrian Peterson, a decent OL and they had traded for Jared Allen before the 2008 season and their D was 13th in scoring in 2008. By far their biggest problem was a huge gaping hole at QB. OTOH, the Bears had traded for Jay Cutler in April of 2008. They didn’t need a QB.

If Favre “retired” from the Jets because he got the crap beat out of him, why did he return to the NFL? All NFL starting QBs get the crap beat out of them. No, I think the evidence is clearly against what you posted. Favre wanted to go to the Vikings before the 2008 season. He pretended to retire from the Jets because he still wanted to join the Vikings after the 2008 season and that was the only way he could get there. And he wanted to do so to “stick it to” Ted Thompson and the Packers.

Rocky11

Superbowl bound Pack
Reaction score
Good point ThxJackVainsi. There is a lot to this discussion. Personally I am glad it's over. This is kind of like playing fantasy football. I had four fantasy teams this year. (best finish 3rd place) Instead of focusing on the game I was watching I was constantly distracted by the ticker on the bottom to see how my players were doing. The same thing with Brett. I was always a Packer fan as well as a Brett Favre fan. This year it was nice because I was only distracted by fantasy football not wondering how Brett was doing. I wish nothing but the best for him but I am glad it is over.

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
The truth is, anything can be disputed. But the claims made by the poster about Brett being forced to retire at Ted's whim can be proven by merely watching the footage shown by the NBC affiliate in Milwaukee, and I'm willing to bet by ESPN's Rachel Nichols who was there, and probably interviewed Favre off the record sometime around this time. I'm wondering also if this interview with 'Al Jones' might've been Brett taking the high road. I have to say there are sides of this I don't think we'll ever truly know, but I find several facets of the press conference very interesting.

2ns time, what footage from Milwaukee channel 4?

IamAthimble

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I love Rodgers and the team we have now, delivering us a Super Bowl, a 15-1 season, and all this success, but I don't understand all the Favre hate. The guy is still one of my favorite players of all time. I know how he handled things at the end was bad, but I still rooted for him, especially with the Vikings. It was exciting to watch a 40 year old QB have an MVP type season. He was one of the most fun players to watch in the history of the game. Yes he threw a lot of ints, and I'm not excusing his late game picks that probably cost him another one or two Superbowl appearances and maybe even rings. But that was the consequence of his playing style. A tough, cannon armed gunslinger who would throw it all over the field. It was great, and even though I think we should have gone to the big game in '07, I'm grateful he was a Packer. Rodgers has unseated him as my favorite player of all time, but Im still fond of the memories he has with the team.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
@Longtimefan-

I respect the hell out of you, but I'm feeling like maybe it's you who can't seem to let it go? Seems like you care entirely too much what Favre fans think..

IluvGB

I <3 Packers!!!!
Reaction score
I tried to avoid this thread like the plague.... and all things BF

but Croak!!! THAT WAS Awesome!!!!

the very best part...
:roflmao:

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
@Longtimefan-

I respect the hell out of you, but I'm feeling like maybe it's you who can't seem to let it go? Seems like you care entirely too much what Favre fans think..

We have a guy stating that there is footage from nbc that could change our minds..I asked to see it once, no reply..Now I am asking again

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
… but I don't understand all the Favre hate.
First, I don't hate Favre. He's not important enough to direct that kind of emotion toward. But if you really don't understand the very negative opinions of Favre, I frankly wonder how much thought you've given to it. If you are truly interested in understanding, here's a post of mine from May of last year which explains my feelings toward Favre:
http://www.packerforum.com/threads/retiring-favres-4.22286/page-3#post-301963 I'm certainly not saying this post represents other Packers fans who have no respect for Favre, but if you have questions about it since I wrote it, I can answer them.
I know how he handled things at the end was bad, but I still rooted for him, especially with the Vikings. It was exciting to watch a 40 year old QB have an MVP type season.
Here's something you can help me understand. First, I assume you are a Packers fan, you are certainly posting as if you are one. If not, never mind this entire post. If you are how can a Packers fan root for one of the team's chief rivals under any circumstance? What you have posted here leads me to believe you were a Favre fan more than a Packers fan. You understand Favre's stated motivation for going to the Vikings was to stick it to Ted Thompson, right? You also understand Favre called the Lions in an attempt to help them beat "your" team, right?
Yes he threw a lot of ints, and I'm not excusing his late game picks that probably cost him another one or two Superbowl appearances and maybe even rings. But that was the consequence of his playing style. A tough, cannon armed gunslinger who would throw it all over the field.
This is another occasion in which you look more like a Favre fan. Favre's foolish late game INTs didn't cost "him" another title or two, they cost THE PACKERS another title or two.

Finally for anyone reading this post as I said in the post I linked, if you are tired of the Favre discussion, I understand. But if you are, why even open this thread?

IamAthimble

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm a fan of the Packers first and foremost, and I did root for Favre, but only when it was clear the Packers were going no further in the playoffs. I never rooted for him or the team he played for to beat us. I'm one of the biggest Packer fans out there, I guess I just don't have the same animosity toward Favre that a lot of Green Bay fans do. I thought the constant retiring/unretiring thing was stupid, but I still always liked watching him play.

Don't get me wrong, Rodgers is my favorite quarterback now, and I believe he is better than Favre. He has Favres arm strength and toughness, but he's way more accurate and doesn't throw all the picks. He's definitely an upgrade.

Edit: I read your linked post, and I somewhat agree...I didn't know about the Lions thing, and despite enjoying watching him play, his constant late big game meltdowns started getting to me. I don't know, I have mixed feelings about the guy. He was great for most of his career, but in the last three or four years it's like he had a total mental breakdown.

Rocky11

Superbowl bound Pack
Reaction score
I think way too much is being made of this. Favre did this, Favre did that. He felt screwed by TT. Right or wrong. That was how he felt. TT felt screwed by Farve. Did anyone ever have a bad break up with their boyfriend/girlfriend? Most people say and do things out of their hurt that they wouldn't normally do. Farve wanted to stick it to TT and ultimately Green Bay. Now that it is all over and he is retired, I doubt that he feels the same way. It could still be a touchy subject but he has said some nice things about us in recent interviews. Some Favre haters didn't believe it but I think he was sincere. I for one was mad at both sides when it happened. I thought they both did some wrong. It affected me for a little while because I am a life long Packer fan and I did like Favre. Guess what? I'm over it and do not hold any animosity to either side. I think AamAthimble is right. Let's remember the great play he did and let the rest go. ThxJackVainisci is also right except for one thing. The emotion spent on Favre is not worth it. I think the emotion spent on the entire topic is not worth it.

IamAthimble

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I completely agree with ya. Favre will always be one of my favorite players, I'm willing to put to rest everything that happened. We're lucky enough to have had a quarterback replace a hall of famer, then go on to win us a Super Bowl within three years of starting, lead us to 19 straight wins, get a NFL MVP and a 15-1 record. I think we have a lot to be grateful for, enough to forget about everything that happened before.

Rocky11

Superbowl bound Pack
Reaction score
Yes, we are very lucky fans. I remember the years of drought. I loved Favre but I'm glad we have Rodgers. I would rather spend my emotions on winning or losing than what happend 4 years ago. In a win you are happy the rest of the day and when you lose you are sad only for a short time. The next game and the next season are not very far away.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I don’t think it’s a coincidence that Favre fans aren’t aware of all that went on or that they advocate “forgetting”. That’s fine for them except IMO when they post they don’t understand the negative feelings many of us have toward Favre. There’s nothing wrong with not following each and every detail of Favre vs. the Packers from 2008 on, but if you didn’t there shouldn’t be any mystery about not understanding the opinions of those of us who did. And I have admired many people in my life but once I became an adult I’ve never felt the need to ignore the negative aspects of their life.

Rocky11

Superbowl bound Pack
Reaction score
I do understand. I felt the same way. My Dad raised me to be a loyal person. I was mad as **** when Favre left because I thought that Green Bay was not being loyal to him. On the other hand I thought that he did not handle the whole situation correctly. He was told to let them know before the upcoming draft to make up his mind and didn't. That next year was messed up for me because truthfully I had a hard time rooting for any of them. I thought that both of them (Farve and TT) ruined my football. I was pretty mad. I even started rooting for the Cowboys (forgive me) but I have loved the NFL for a long time. I thought that by ******** each other they both screwed me. I got over it because I realized that I was way over the top being so upset by people whom I will never meet in my life. How dumb could I be for letting strangers upset me so much. Reality check - I have a family who loves me. Who is Brett Farve or Ted Thompson? Nobody to me. I discovered that my love for football had to go beyond my hero's. In reality it is only a game and football players are really only there to entertain me, not govern my life or even feelings. I get fired up as much as anyone else watching a game but when I shut off the TV they all disappear. Thank God!!!! I have enough to worry about. Thank football for the entertainment and temporary emotional charge.

Vltrophy

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brett Favre WAS a good QB until his last year. I didn't root for him as viking but for all those who are still hung on him please do me a favor a watch our current QB. You'll have your memories of Favre but Rodgers is a better overall QB. He throws less INT's & has the chance to bring us a couple more SB titles if TT does what he needs to do. At least look at the FAs to see what we can get.

Members online

Latest posts