1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Big Announcement Coming for 2015 Football Season!!

Be on the look out for a big Packer Forum announcement when the schedule is released. Full details coming soon...

Brett fans have moved on?

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by longtimefan, Feb 4, 2012.

1. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,966
    Seen this and just shook my head..Was surfing and found this on a site...I just couldnt believe my eyes and how brain washed they are..Wish I could reply to them, but I can't, they wont give me approval to post..

People claim Packer fans cant let it go, but to this day people STILL are brain washed by things that are based ONLY on rumors...

Everything this poster says can be disputed and proved wrong by Andrew Brandt, Al Jones and Brett himself, and the Jets...

So which is it? They harassed him, or they didnt talk to him at all??

Andrew Brantd has put this to bed a few times..This was offered to Brett in Jan of 08 before the Giants game..

So your impression is 100% wrong...In fact Brett went on RECORD with reporter Al Jones and says that is isnt a bribe and was wrongly portrayed in the media as a bribe...

Brett RETIRED...The truth escapes people that only want to believe what they want..

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3898942

But so what released, retired what ever... he told people this was the real deal and it was time to leave..

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3900850

This poster is basing their opinion on Ted and Mike from things that just are not true...

It is a shame that people cant research on their own...If they would, maybe they would see their opinion is based on wrong information

2. Forget Favre

Forget Favre Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,673
    I'm under the impression that either the majority or even all of the Brett Favre fans were bandwagon.
    How else can you explain how they can love one guy so much that when he leaves the team no matter what circumstances (As long as they are legal.) they follow him to.
    They act like what the Packers allegedly did to Favre was the crime of the last 500 years.
    I wasn't there so I don't really know what all went down and I don't care.
    I'm just glad the Packers let him go and didn't give him back his starting job.
    It was time to move on and to bring in the next generation of greatness.

3. SpartaChris

SpartaChris Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +965
    Umm, who cares? That was 4 years ago. Time to let it go.

• Like Like x 5
  4. fettpett

fettpett Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +217
    on top of what both SpartaChris and Forget Farve said, the Packers went to him 3 times, 3 times they were set to announce he was coming back for one more season. All THREE times he pulled out at the last second. It wasn't until after the draft and Favre's conversation with Peter King (I believe) that all of a sudden he has a bug up his *** to return to Green Bay and either start or force a trade to the Vikings or Tampa.

5. GreenBayGal

GreenBayGal Cheese Goddess

Ratings:
    +1,123
    It's great that he still has adoring fans, woo hoo. But I don't understand why his groupies continue to put the Packers organization under the magnifying glass because of one player. It's not like BF is the first player ever to leave the Packers and he probably won't be the last. It's over and done. Go dissect and scrutinize some other team for their decisions. As I see it, regardless of how it went down, the outcome was positive. Afterall, who are we, The Green Bay Packers or The Brett Favre Packers?

• Like Like x 4
  6. Jariah

Jariah Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +19
    I think most people above hit all the right notes so there is not much else I can say, Favre was a Great QB and all but come on, the Packers are not about one player.

7. gbpowner

gbpowner Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +98
    How about scrutinizing the Colts and their current handling of the Manning situation? :) So far I haven't heard any Colts/Manning vs Packers/Favre comparisons! Yippee!! Could it be that the Packers "done" Favre wrong is old news? Time to move on to the newest controversy in the NFL.

• Like Like x 2
  8. packerfan4ever

packerfan4ever Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +53
    Liked Brett but like they say it is a business it's over and Brett fans should get over it I'm sure Brett isn't fretting.

9. Southpaw

Southpaw Endorphin Junkie

Ratings:
    +422
    That's exactly what it is. There are a lot of Packer fans who are/were only Packer fans because of Favre. Understandable he was a miracle man at the QB position and did some inspiring things. I could see how that could draw people in....but everyone has their expiration date and organizations should not have to be held hostage to a selfish player because he still wants to play.

Favre did some great things for us and some really cringeworthy disappointing things.

I'm glad we've moved on. I'm not on the verge of heart attacks when Rodgers is under center for us. With Brett, it came to point where you're expecting him to make a terrible throw that could cost us a huge game or our entire season.

The key to success in the league as it's been proven is youth. Staying young. No organization wants or needs a 45 year old geriatric playing QB. Especially one as turnover prone as Favre.

I don't know the ins and outs of all the crap relating to Favre being let go by the Packers or the allegations of bribes and harassment. And frankly I don't care to.

Last I checked we've been successful with Rodgers and as a fan of a team, that's all I can ask for.

• Like Like x 1
  10. LombardiChick

LombardiChick Win or lose, I love this team.

Ratings:
    +678
    Live by the Favre, die by the Favre. It was like he had two speeds: exhilarating or punch-a-hole-in-something frustrating.

I loved him as a Packer and wanted him to stay at the time, but it didn't take long once he was gone to realize the organization made the right decision. I didn't get truly angry with him though, until he signed with the Vikings. You might say that was the moment a lot of us "moved on".

• Like Like x 5
  11. PackFanNChiTown

PackFanNChiTown Bear Fan's Bane

Ratings:
    +357
    I agree, however one minor, yet important point is the team did not "let him go," he quit of his own volition.

Andrew Brandt's articles on the subject are great:

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/The-difficult-parting-of-Favre-and-the-Packers.html

This is, in a nutshell, the story of Favre's departure from the Packers:

Translation: Favre was furious that TT wouldn't kiss his royal buttocks.

So the Messiah quit in frustration when TT wouldn't bow down to him, and yet it was the team's fault when they wouldn't bring him back...

12. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,042
    Brett Favres Packers legacy died (in my eyes) when he called the Lions to tell them everything he knew about the Packers offense.

When Big Irv died no one was able to control his ego anymore. No one could tell him he was a diva. His wife was just as bad as he was. Feel bad for the girls though, they went through hell.

13. ThxJackVainisi

ThxJackVainisi Lifelong Packers Fanatic

Ratings:
    +2,907
    A point that often gets overlooked is Favre started his selfish ‘I may retire, beg me to come back’ dance before Thompson arrived as GM. Once Thompson became GM, by Favre’s own words to Greta he was immediately telling Thompson, “his boss’s boss” how to do his job. And not only that, but at the time Favre was telling Thompson how to do his job, Favre himself hadn’t committed to playing the 2005 season. Imagine that from Thompson’s point of view.

I disagree with ivo610 about Big Irv – he was on the radio after games and I frequently heard him make excuses for Favre’s reckless play. The man who controlled Favre IMO was Holmgren and once he left no one stood up to Favre until Thompson and more important for on the field discipline, McCarthy’s arrival. In 2008 I was surprised more Favre fans didn’t direct their hatred toward McCarthy. It is my impression that he was more emphatic about Favre not returning after his second “retirement” in the spring of 2008. After all, he was the one that had the marathon session with Favre: It took him more than 3 hours to tell him, ‘no, we really don’t want you back’. Favre, who had obviously bought into the myth his fans still believe and who had previously asked, ‘what are they going to do, cut me?’ was no doubt truly surprised.

The irrefutable truth that seems to drive Favre fans nuts is what happened in 2008 was entirely within their hero’s control. He voluntarily retired. After letting the Packers know he wanted to return, he was the one who again changed his mind. (BTW, even Favre doesn’t dispute that second point.) At either point he could have returned but he chose not to.

Since the title of this thread is moving on I think it’s worth noting the recent arrival of a poster who almost immediately posted Rodgers is not a leader and suggested he be traded. Going forward I think we’ll see this kind of reaction from Favre fans, after any season the Packers don’t win a title. Many of them continue to hate Ted Thompson and resent McCarthy. They also misdirect their anger toward an innocent “victim” in the Favre-created mess: In 2008 so called “Packers fans” yelled obscenities at Rodgers, whose only “fault” was becoming what the Packers drafted him to be; an excellent starting NFL QB.

Consider the plight of these so called Packers fans. They must secretly hope the team they pretend to follow doesn’t win another title. At best they must have been conflicted during the last Super Bowl: “Their team” won but Thompson was vindicated, as was McCarthy and Favre’s replacement was already tied with their hero with a Super Bowl win. Even “worse” not only did Rodgers win the Super Bowl MVP, but it looks like the Rodgers-led team could vie for a title for the foreseeable future. No wonder they yearn for his trade. At that point why not just follow another team player?

The lesson for Packers fans is obvious. No man is bigger than the franchise. Not Lambeau. Not George Calhoun, the co-founder of the franchise. Not even the greatest coach in the history of the NFL whose name appears on the Super Bowl trophy and whose fame transcends sports. And certainly not any player.

• Like Like x 5
  14. LombardiChick

LombardiChick Win or lose, I love this team.

Ratings:
    +678

Yeah, that would have been great, Brett. Force the Packers to adopt some guy nobody can get along with for any length of time. Good idea.

15. Bogart

Bogart Duke Mantee

Ratings:
    +871
    Brett Favre will be retired for 5-10 years, and when he's going into the HoF, people will still be bringing **** up to find a reason to talk about him. Gotta stop beating the horse pal, it's dead...

• Like Like x 1
  16. Croak

Croak Terminally twisted.

Ratings:
    +1,167
    I think we should all be mad as h-e-double toothpicks that Lombardi let Jim Taylor go. Lombardi was manager and coach, I can have no respect for him.....

17. AmishMafia

AmishMafia Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,777
    Honestly, I find it a very interesting matter - the devoution people will commit to an idea. Even in the face of over whelming evidence to the contrary, they have decided to believe something. It is from the angle of human nature that causes me to be fascinated with the Favre saga.

As an experiment - and practice in 'online debate' I joined a bigfoot site a few years ago. I started out as a 'believer' in my posts. But as time went on, I started to become more and more critical of all the evidence presented. As I pointed out the ease with which there 'evidence' could be faked, the more boisterous posters became in defense of it. When I began pointing out the obvious lack of evidence you would expect, I became mostly ignored. I recall a quote by PT Barnum 'People are easily fooled when they really want to believe something' or something like that.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Chillarfan54

Chillarfan54 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +38
    Really? another Favre thread. I am a Favre fan and i don't care what people say. But i am sick and tired of coming on here and seeing more threads on him, when he hasn't said or done anything in the media lately. Unless he says or does anything about the Packers. Lets stop posting about him. That way people will stop getting so annoyed with hearing his name.

plus we have won a Super Bowl, NFC champs, MVP, and many more things since he has left. So i don't why we have to continuely have more threads bashing or discussing him.

19. Croak

Croak Terminally twisted.

Ratings:
    +1,167
    I think it's a reaction to the "favrenatic" that came on here bashing Rodgers and the team.

20. Chillarfan54

Chillarfan54 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +38
    ^^^ Oh ok. I didn't know that. Didn't mean to get so heated on the situation.

21. longtimefan

Ratings:
    +2,966
    Yuppers...

22. longtimefan

Ratings:
    +2,966
    You are aware your sig is all Brett? So every time you post, his name is mentioned..

LOL

• Like Like x 4
  23. PFanCan

PFanCan That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.

Ratings:
    +868
    LT, don't you complain about folks opening more "Defensive Issues" threads? Why-o-why would you open another Favre thread when there are many threads from years ago buried and inactive (as they should be)?

In the future, please put "Warning: ANOTHER Favre thread for those of us who cannot let it go" in the title so I don't bother opening it.

Also, this thread should be moved to the Atrium or somewhere else? It should not be in the Packers Forum. Or is Brett back on the Packer roster or staff or have anything to do with the Packers these days?

24. longtimefan

Ratings:
    +2,966
    Its offseason, need something to pass the time..And nothing like a good Brett debate to pass the time lol

It is about a poster who talked about lies from the time Brett was a Packer,Packer forum..

25. PFanCan

PFanCan That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.

Ratings:
    +868
    Understood. But, imo, not a relevant topic to the GB Packers organization any more. Even in the off season.

• Like Like x 1