Breno?

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he makes the team, who goes?

-from Pro Football Weekly:

ProFootballWeekly.com - Shiancoe, Vikings talking contract extension

We hear nobody on the Packers has shown more improvement than third-year OT Breno Giacomini, who was given more of an opportunity to join in the mix at right tackle with the team deciding to relegate Allen Barbre to the left side and T.J. Lang being sidelined during OTAs due to offseason wrist surgery. Giacomini's size (6-7, 311) and competitiveness were never an issue, but word is his quickness, knee bend and improved foot speed were pleasant surprises, to say the least.

aaronqb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he makes the team, who goes?

-from Pro Football Weekly:

ProFootballWeekly.com - Shiancoe, Vikings talking contract extension

We hear nobody on the Packers has shown more improvement than third-year OT Breno Giacomini, who was given more of an opportunity to join in the mix at right tackle with the team deciding to relegate Allen Barbre to the left side and T.J. Lang being sidelined during OTAs due to offseason wrist surgery. Giacomini's size (6-7, 311) and competitiveness were never an issue, but word is his quickness, knee bend and improved foot speed were pleasant surprises, to say the least.

I think the OL will be the most difficult position to sort out in training camp. There are 13 guys with a legitimate chance to make the team and they probably keep only 9 or 10. I hope they are able to make a last minute trade like with Balt last year (Moll for Martin) to get either a punter or a backup OLB.

Here are the guys I see in the mix this year:

Clifton
Colledge
Wells
Sitton
Tauscher
Bulaga
Spitz
Evan Dietrich-Smith
Marshall Newhouse
TJ Lang
Nick McDonald
Breno Giacomini
Allen Barbre

I think Barbre gets cut. Either Spitz or Colledge gets traded (whoever loses the battle to start at LG). And one of these three get cut or put on the practice squad - McDonald, Newhouse, Giacomini.

If Tauscher gets beat out as the starting RT, then he probably gets cut. I don't think there is room on the roster for a veteran who cannot start since there are so many young players (1st - 3rd year) who are in development.

Managing both Clifton and Tauscher out of the starting lineup (and the team) will be a challenge for the Packers for the next two years. They need to retain their good young talent while keeping some of the older veterans while they can still start.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope we can trade Spitz for something useful: punter, or kick returner, or any special teammer to get bush shipped out.

OldSchoolFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope we can trade Spitz for something useful: punter, or kick returner, or any special teammer to get bush shipped out.

Rumor has it that Miami is interested in trading their guy who peels gum off the bottom of the stadium seats for Bush...I say we hold out for that guy and a bag of pretzels and take the deal...

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Breno had ankle surgery just before training camp last year, so maybe he actually will be improved this year. This is only his 3rd year, but time for him to become a player. Hopefully the coaches are able to do that.

Members online