Breakout Or Bust Players

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
One mans opinion, I have to agree with the Benson pick... I think they are going to miss Jones more than they think :thumbsup:

http://www.fannation.com/blogs/post/49175

Breakout Or Bust

It's always nerve-racking to write a prediction that can make you look stupid in a few months. But I'll take the heat in November if I'm wrong. Here's my take on five young players who will deliver on their promise and five who will fall short in 2007:

Breakouts

Jay Cutler, QB, Broncos - Everything's laid out perfectly for Cutler. The Broncos have the running game and the defense. Now the strong-armed kid out of Vandy has to avoid the kind of mistakes that result in interceptions for touchdowns.

D'Brickashaw Ferguson, OT, Jets - Look for the Jets to run a lot this season, which will take some pressure off Ferguson, who showed major improvement at the end of last season.

Vernon Davis, TE, 49ers - You have to love his cockiness and speed. And the 49ers' other receivers aren't scaring anyone, so quarterback Alex Smith will look for the second-year TE often.

Kamerion Wimbley, DE, Browns - Wimbley, who had 11 sacks as a rookie, has the moves and speed to be the next pass-rushing star.

Santonio Holmes, WR, Pittsburgh - The Steelers say they're going to open up the offense, and quarterback Ben Roethlisberger has been itching for a legitimate deep threat. Holmes will be that guy.

Busts

Vince Young, QB, Titans - Young's biggest problem is the level of expectation he set with his rookie season. As talented as he is, he's looking at a frustrating season in Tennessee. The Titans won't be able to match last year's eight-win total, and Young's star will fall if he leads a losing team.

Ronnie Brown, RB, Dolphins - Brown seems to take a tad too long to hit the hole. With his size, he should be a better red-zone back.

Marcus Spears, DE, Cowboys - One of the guys who reportedly had enough of Bill Parcells and is supposed to be reborn this year. Not going to happen for the former first-round pick.

Cedric Benson, RB, Bears - Now that the Bears have dealt Thomas Jones, there will be more pressure on Benson, who hasn't shown much in terms of leadership in his short career. He averaged 4.1 yards per carry last season, but I expect that number to dip when he's the primary ballcarrier. Defenses will know he's coming.

Brandon Marshall, WR, Broncos - He's on many people's list of breakout offensive stars for '07. But he's been nicked up in camp and may not solidify that No. 2 receiver spot.

4thand26

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One mans opinion, I have to agree with the Benson pick... I think they are going to miss Jones more than they think :thumbsup:

http://www.fannation.com/blogs/post/49175

Cedric Benson, RB, Bears - Now that the Bears have dealt Thomas Jones, there will be more pressure on Benson, who hasn't shown much in terms of leadership in his short career. He averaged 4.1 yards per carry last season, but I expect that number to dip when he's the primary ballcarrier. Defenses will know he's coming.
[/b]

Defenses will now know he's coming???? So when he was on the field last year, was he hiding before the handoff? Seems like a dumb thing to say.

I do agree that his durability has been a little suspect. I think as a runner he will be as good as Jones, probably better.

LindyInfante

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I saw some of his carries in the Bears preseason game and I must admit that boy is a bruiser, he flattens people(health is an issue though). If I would've had him taking the handoffs from Majkowsi in 1989, we would've won another Lombardi and I would've gotten to keep my job for a longer period of time. Just think the Pack would have 4 Lombardi's and be 1 away from the Cowgirls, 49queers and Squeelers. Oh well, at least we have 12 championships, I just wish I could say I was responsible for one of them. I am also tired of them kicking me out of camp each week. They tell me they don't want me around the team anymore and that hurts my feelings, especially after all I've done for this organization.

trippster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I saw some of his carries in the Bears preseason game and I must admit that boy is a bruiser, he flattens people(health is an issue though). If I would've had him taking the handoffs from Majkowsi in 1989, we would've won another Lombardi and I would've gotten to keep my job for a longer period of time. Just think the Pack would have 4 Lombardi's and be 1 away from the Cowgirls, 49queers and Squeelers. Oh well, at least we have 12 championships, I just wish I could say I was responsible for one of them. I am also tired of them kicking me out of camp each week. They tell me they don't want me around the team anymore and that hurts my feelings, especially after all I've done for this organization.

I thought you died? :rubeyes:

BearDown!

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is worry around here about Benson and how he'll run against defenses. It's mostly on the radios shows, 670 The Score and ESPN 1000. But, I think he's going to be well off. He has the strength to take out defenders and he has a bit of speed. The only problem with Benson is his attitude. I think that'll change as he matures in the league.

Look at the Bears switching in Wolfe/Peterson to add a bit of quickness on 3rd downs. They might do exactly what they did with Jones and Benson last year. Also watch Hester to run some trick plays as either a back or a receiver.

PackerSacker54

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LindyInfante said:

I thought you died? :rubeyes:

Actually the only thing that died was his career in Green Bay( Fu*ken jackals). It's a conspiracy to keep him out of the NFL. I guess they're afraid he would make all of the other head coaches look bad and have to work twice as hard. The NFL isn't really big on upping it's coaching to the far superior level that he is capable of delivering. I can hear the fans now, "Lindy! Lindy! Lindy! ":rotflmao: