First Round Bust?!

Todd Princl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who would your guess be on a first round player that has the potential to be a bust. I am going to go with CJ Stroud. One, because of the history of Ohio Star quarterbacks ( it is what it is). And two, because of this:
CJ Stroud reportedly scored an “18%” on the S2 cognition test, a cognitive test that focuses on processing and decision-making.

Stroud’s score was the lowest of all reported scores from this year’s QB draft class.

Every other QB’s score was at least 28% higher than Stroud’s

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Quarterback’s aside, I would guess:

Michael Mayer
Jordan Addison
Quentin Johnston
Calijah Kancey
B.J. Ojulari
Devon Witherspoon

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here’s my questions on Stroud:

Why is all this oppo research coming out right now?

Who is leaking it and how does it benefit them?

A team that wants to drive down his stock. I think it came out that the company that administered the s2 test said a lot of the leaked scores coming out are not true.

OP
OP
Todd Princl

Todd Princl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Quarterback’s aside, I would guess:

Michael Mayer
Jordan Addison
Quentin Johnston
Calijah Kancey
B.J. Ojulari
Devon Witherspoon
I actually feel the same about these players you listed. Quentin Johnston was my draft crush early on but really seems to be slipping. His route running tree resembles Christian Watson in some respect. Sometimes these players come across as fools gold. He did have a monster bowl game but it didn’t seem like enough to move the needle. He could be this years Treylon Burks who I feel was underutilized by the Titans. Johnston could follow that same path.

OP
OP
Todd Princl

Todd Princl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here’s my questions on Stroud:

Why is all this oppo research coming out right now?

Who is leaking it and how does it benefit them?
Doesn’t it always seem like the last week or so all the dirty laundry comes out on players. This test is pretty much public knowledge. Stroud had a stacked offensive line and a plethora of wealth at receiver. That read and react score ain’t gonna fly in the NFL. It is one of the reasons why Fields hasn’t progressed. At this point I am betting that Love has a better season than Fields. And that is after the Bears going nuts in free agency.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
QBs aside I very quickly had three names come to mind without even thinking:

Kancey
Johnston
The Tackle Prospect Skoronski

Kancey and Skoronski are just pure outliers of all outliers when it comes to every indication from the NFL past and present. Don't get me wrong I think BOTH have their roles, but I'm not fan of guards in the first personally nor am I a fan of undersized interior D-lineman that their role is using their agility and speed to rush from inside in the NFL in the first round.

Johnston to me is the White kid type prospect the Bears drafted I fell in love with....I don't see the route running of a first rounder...I don't see the elite speed if the route running is not there for a first rounder....and I don't see the concentration through a catch personally.

Johnston and Kancey I would have to struggle to look past in the first....and if I'm a guard hungry team I will admit Skoronski excites me at guard as much as AVT did in his draft.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm going with Jalen Carter. Added significant weight from combine to pro day. Must have gorged himself and/or stopped working out.

There were already questionable character issues.

I would ignore one of those if not for the other.

Now after some team hands him millions of $$$$, what is he going to do? I know what I would have done when I was his age - and it ain't good. At least not in the sense of being a positive decision for an athlete.

I hope he goes somewhere where there is a great veteran leadership that he looks up to. In which case he will be fine and be a fantastic player.

It's tough to predict this because so kuch depends on where the player goes.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm going with Jalen Carter. Added significant weight from combine to pro day. Must have gorged himself and/or stopped working out.

There were already questionable character issues.

I would ignore one of those if not for the other.

Now after some team hands him millions of $$$$, what is he going to do? I know what I would have done when I was his age - and it ain't good. At least not in the sense of being a positive decision for an athlete.

I hope he goes somewhere where there is a great veteran leadership that he looks up to. In which case he will be fine and be a fantastic player.

It's tough to predict this because so kuch depends on where the player goes.
If Carter was there at 13; I'd take him in a heartbeat. But he won't be there. And I'm kind of hoping for a trade down. Not a trade up. With a trade down, we can get 4 really good players if Gute picks good. One most assuredly will be a TE. I'm hoping for Kincaid but... OL, DL, W/O and a TE. Not necessarily in that order.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But I'm not gonna cry if we keep the 1st and get a very good player. But then we should definitely keep both 2nds. imho

Reaction score
If Carter was there at 13; I'd take him in a heartbeat. But he won't be there. And I'm kind of hoping for a trade down. Not a trade up. With a trade down, we can get 4 really good players if Gute picks good. One most assuredly will be a TE. I'm hoping for Kincaid but... OL, DL, W/O and a TE. Not necessarily in that order.
One of my primary assertions is trading down (or down and up) but trying to land in that Chargers #21 overall area. There’s about 5 teams with primary or secondary need at TE in the mid 20’s. I suspect we could have at least 1 of Mayer or Kincaid there. Also the Chargers have pick #54 and we could get them #13 for #21+#54 + Day3 etc. or possibly straight up. There could be a candidate looking at Bijan etc.

My gut tells me both TE’s are gone in the later 20’’s. I like Washington but for me more in that later 30’s early 40’s area. Backup plan is I get aggressive for a TE in Day 2 (if I miss on those 3). There’s like 5 pretty good ones in Day 2 and I’d key on Tucker Kraft.

Last edited:

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think this was draft bust in the entire draft - not just potential Packers.

But I agree. If he is there at 13, we should take him even with the higher bust potential. Because he could be a dominating force.
Risk/reward balance. And with Kenny Clark providing some veteran leadership, he would have a better chance to suceed.

Members online

Latest posts