Breaking Down the NFC North, 2024

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’m not gonna lie 2010 hurt like hell, losing a NFCCG at home.
I mean to come so close and then a sprained MCL cost the game…..at home.
I mean hosting an NFCCG is a special thing…and a huge advantage for the home QB bc they win 2 outta 3 tries statistically………at home.
The 2 wins in 10 years sucks but it is what it is. A new day dawns and watching Rodgers blow 4 or 5 shots at the Superbowl at home was the real cherry on top of every really bad season.
Didn't the Tressman finale in 2013 hurt more? Rodgers broke his collar bone at the hands of the Bears and somehow is able to play season finale. He goes and escapes to throw that bomb to Cobb to win the division.

Calebs Revenge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Listen. There are 10 teams that allowed more TD’s than the 2023 Bears
Only 2 of those 10 cracked the Top 10 Defense in yardage (not good odds)
Panthers (#4) Dolphins (#10)

The Bears have a great Run Defense. However, in this league you MUST be able to stop the Pass and Slow teams in scoring position. The Bears ranked #31 in Redzone scoring D at 68.9%. Only Cleveland was worse.

5th Round Austin Booker isn’t going to propel Chicago into greatness. That was your top Defensive draft pick btw. In this HEAVY draft at WR. you guys would’ve been wise to trade back with #9 into that top 23/25 area. Adding Brian Thomas or Xavier Worthy with Keenan. (trade with Jags) and still grabbed a second weapon at WR who slid some like Devontez Walker who should’ve never seen Rd4 (you could’ve flipped your 5th for a Jags earlier 4th and asked for a Day 3 bonus in 2025) getting Walker as a 2nd WR option to stock some weapons.

You’d still have your QB1, swing tackle in RD3, but now go ahead and pick TWO players at #48/#96. Could’ve added Pass Rush Extraordinaire, Marshawn Kneeland to pair with Sweat.

Furthered that by protecting your #1 overall investment with insurance at RG (2nd Team All SEC, Layden Robinson) to compete with Nate Davis to see who’s backup material.
That would’ve been one way to go but I still think getting Rome at 9 will be looked back at in 5 or 6 years as the steal of the first round. He is an absolute beast.

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah and when the draft history is giving up a fortune to move up and take Trubisky when Mahomes is there, when your QB (Jay Cutler) is your rival's (Packers) MVP, well it's a history full of disaster.

But even a blind squirrel finds a nut now and then. So when it comes to the Bears, who knows? What's undeniable is that they have a roster full of impact players. If they **** that up, it's on them.
Yeah, there's no doubt the Bears are set up better to make a move than they have been in decades, and if I were a Chicago fan, I'm sure I'd be excited as hell right now too. But I'd be a lot more cautious with the bold predictions, because the best predictor of future outcome is past performance. And the Bears have been a very poor team for most of the last 30+ years.

They've had some good rosters, some good (or at least decent) W-L records, but they can't build anything. In 30 years, they've only had back-to-back winning seasons once, and only 8 winning seasons total. 8 out of 30. They've proven to be completely incapable of drafting and developing talent - on the field, on they sideline, and in the front office.

Now some of the Bears fans are insisting that this time, it's different. And they may be right, but I don't see any reason at all to expect it. They have a talented roster now, that's true, but they've been there many times since the mid-90s, and they've never been able to keep it together long enough to build on it.

Caleb tells us that they finally have a top-notch front office, with a great GM, but if that's true I sure don't know where they're hiding these people. Because the guys I see running the team right now look like clowns to me. He insists that this front office has been "patiently, methodically building a roster with premium picks", but when you are in desperate need of talent and you only have 4 draft picks to work with, you don't **** one away on a punter, for god's sake. There's nothing "methodical" about that; that's just crazy. They climbed to wild-card status 4 seasons ago, and in the 3 years since then, that team's been wiped out instead of added to, and they've had a combined record of .471. And they waste a 4th round pick on a punter.

They also appear to have seriously mismanaged the one asset that could have given them a major boost in their... well... whatever the hell it is they're trying to do - Justin Fields. At a time when they badly needed both depth and Day Two draft picks, they let Fields get away for a 6th-round pick next year (which will probably end up being a 4th). Going into the combine, Poles had a terrific bargaining chip in Fields, and the way to leverage that was to at the very least stay coy about what his plans were for Fields while taking the temperature of the other teams' interest in him. By confirming he was going to trade him, he removed the uncertainty, and this reduced any sense of urgency on the parts of the other GMs.

And then when he did finally deal him - after waiting too long, and turning down offers from apparently at least 2 teams - he admittedly traded Fields to Pittsburgh as a favor to the man, instead of getting more draft capital from a different team (probably Eagles, from what most people say).

That's just bad asset management, by a team that can not afford to manage its assets poorly. A Day 3 pick, a full year later, for a starting quarterback? They'd actually have been much better off trading him for a punter and using that draft pick this year for a linebacker or DL.

And can you imagine the heat Poles is going to feel in 24 if Fields actually wins the starting job in Pittsburgh and plays well? Especially if Williams struggles?

Some might say that Chicago is in a very good position right now, but many others might say just the opposite. They desperately need Williams to work out Year One. Eberflaus is a mediocre coach with no apparent flair for offensive creativity, who kept his job this year largely because the locker room appears to believe in him and support him. But if he is not able to turn the team around in his third year, the Bears will probably have to fire him, and it's the same song the Bears have been singing for years - draft a premium QB early, he gets off to poor start, team falls short of expectations.

Head coach fired, young quarterback struggles to adjust to whole new coach and whole new system in Year 2.

The young quarterback that was supposed to be the GM's crowning achievement is still unproven after 2 full years in the league, GM is fired.

New GM may give 2nd year coach and 3rd year QB another year, maybe not both.

Within 3-4 years, new coach is fired, new quarterback is drafted, lather, rinse and repeat.

Last edited:

Calebs Revenge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Didn't the Tressman finale in 2013 hurt more? Rodgers broke his collar bone at the hands of the Bears and somehow is able to play season finale. He goes and escapes to throw that bomb to Cobb to win the division.
Yup. I talked about that earlier. Peppers was inches from getting ahold of Rodgers jersey(while being held). Sucked.

Reaction score
JUST IN CASE BEARS FANS HAVE FORGOTTEN WHERE THE PACKERS ARE PICKING BACK UP FROM. CALEB NEED ONLY MAKE THE NFC CHAMPIONSHIP AND SCORE 35 POINTS/POSTSEASON CONTEST IN HIS FIRST STARTING SEASON TO EDGE JORDAN LOVE

GOOD LUCK WITH THAT!
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Last edited:

Calebs Revenge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, there's no doubt the Bears are set up better to make a move than they have been in decades, and if I were a Chicago fan, I'm sure I'd be excited as hell right now too. But I'd be a lot more cautious with the bold predictions, because the best predictor of future outcome is past performance. And the Bears have been a very poor team for most of the last 30+ years.

They've had some good rosters, some good (or at least decent) W-L records, but they can't build anything. In 30 years, they've only had back-to-back winning seasons once, and only 8 winning seasons total. 8 out of 30. They've proven to be completely incapable of drafting and developing talent - on the field, on they sideline, and in the front office.

Now some of the Bears fans are insisting that this time, it's different. And they may be right, but I don't see any reason at all to expect it. They have a talented roster now, that's true, but they've been there many times since the mid-90s, and they've never been able to keep it together long enough to build on it.

Caleb tells us that they finally have a top-notch front office, with a great GM, but if that's true I sure don't know where they're hiding these people. Because the guys I see running the team right now look like clowns to me. He insists that this front office has been "patiently, methodically building a roster with premium picks", but when you are in desperate need of talent and you only have 4 draft picks to work with, you don't **** one away on a punter, for god's sake. There's nothing "methodical" about that; that's just crazy. They climbed to wild-card status 4 seasons ago, and in the 3 years since then, that team's been wiped out instead of added to, and they've had a combined record of .471. And they waste a 4th round pick on a punter.

They also appear to have seriously mismanaged the one asset that could have given them a major boost in their... well... whatever the hell it is they're trying to do - Justin Fields. At a time when they badly needed both depth and Day Two draft picks, they let Fields get away for a 6th-round pick next year (which will probably end up being a 4th). Going into the combine, Poles had a terrific bargaining chip in Fields, and the way to leverage that was to at the very least stay coy about what his plans were for Fields while taking the temperature of the other teams' interest in him. By confirming he was going to trade him, he removed the uncertainty, and this reduced any sense of urgency on the parts of the other GMs.

And then when he did finally deal him - after waiting too long, and turning down offers from apparently at least 2 teams - he admittedly traded Fields to Pittsburgh as a favor to the man, instead of getting more draft capital from a different team (probably Eagles, from what most people say).

That's just bad asset management, by a team that can not afford to manage its assets poorly. A Day 3 pick, a full year later, for a starting quarterback?

Some might say that Chicago is in a very good position right now, but many others might say just the opposite. They desperately need Williams to work out Year One. Eberflaus is a mediocre coach with no apparent flair for offensive creativity, who kept his job this year largely because the locker room appears to believe in him and support him. But if he is not able to turn the team around in his third year, the Bears will probably have to fire him, and it's the same song the Bears have been singing for years - draft a premium QB early, he gets off to poor start, team falls short of expectations.

Head coach fired, young quarterback struggles to adjust to whole new coach and whole new system in Year 2.

The young quarterback that was supposed to be the GM's crowning achievement is still unproven after 2 full years in the league, GM is fired.

Within 3-4 years, new coach is fired, new quarterback is drafted, lather, rinse and repeat.
I’ll respond as I read.
The GM was in KC for the last 12 plus years (not 100) before Bears but I do know he continued to advance and get more involved in player evaluation thru 3 diff. GM’s in K.C.
Anyone who has worked in corporate world, when new boss shows up they bring their own people. Shows he was good at his job in Championship level club. Those are facts. BUT

The biggest is sweaty Teddy Phillips retired 2 years ago. He was the old CEO and might as well have been born a Halas/mcCaskey bc Virginia gave him final say over the GM. We were gonna trade for LT (San Diego’s ) but he was too cheap to meet a $250,000 price for something. Pennies when talking about 15 years of a HoF player. That guy isn’t in charge anymore. That’s why things are different.

Calebs Revenge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I also told y’all. Watch Tory’s highlight video. He’s gonna be worth every bit of that 4th rnd pick. It’s on wax that several teams were looking at him in the late 4th or early 5th.

Calebs Revenge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No leverage on JF1.
The whole league knows we’re taking Caleb. We have to deal him. Look I don’t get G Minshew or Sam Darnold over JF but they know he’s gone so why offer a pick for what might hit the waiver wire. Takes two to tango.

Reaction score
I also told y’all. Watch Tory’s highlight video. He’s gonna be worth every bit of that 4th rnd pick. It’s on wax that several teams were looking at him in the late 4th or early 5th.
This Draft will be Graded on Caleb Williams. Anytime you get a #1 Stab at QB the next Decade is defined by that expenditure. There are absolutely, positively no excuses for failure. Thats the best Draft equity the Bears will see for possibly the next 25+ years.

No Pressure Here at all!

Calebs Revenge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As for this year…we gots lots of very good very fast players and our new OC made Geno Smith look good so it’s gonna be a fun season. Whew…… think I covered everything.

Calebs Revenge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This Draft will be Graded on Caleb Williams. Anytime you get a #1 Stab at QB the next Decade is defined by that expenditure. There are absolutely, positively no excuses for failure.
Absolutely correct. The outlook is good. We have this roster with 10 or 11 picks next year and after paying rookies we still have about 10-12 mill under cap so not only are we loading our roster with quality young players and the cap is in great shape with 5 yrs of rookie QB money.

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As for this year…we gots lots of very good very fast players and our new OC made Geno Smith look good so it’s gonna be a fun season. Whew…… think I covered everything.
Lol! I think we all have! :roflmao:

We've probably all beat this horse's corpse beyond recognition at this point. We know all the reasons you think the Bears are on the brink of a huge breakthrough, and I think you've heard all the reasons we're.... not so sure.

We'll all be right about some of them, wrong about some of the others, and 8 months from now we'll all know which was which. Personally, I hope for your sake that you mostly get your wish. I'm happier when the team just behind us in the standings every year is Chicago; I hate the Vikings, and while I have nothing against Detroit, it just feels more historically "right" when our main rivalry is George Halas' old club. I never felt any animosity toward the Bears; just a respectful competitiveness.

The team at the top rises higher when it's pushed up hard from just below them; the Bears' proper place is to be that team. When I raced bicycles, my most exciting races were the ones that I had someone right on my rear wheel for the last half mile; a "stoker". I'm happy to have the Bears "stoking" us.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Didn't think anyone here felt the same way I do about the Bears. I'd put the Bears in the top half of teams I would root for.
I find it easy to hate the Queens, and I must admit I take pleasure in their record of ineptitude. The Lions? Meh. But the Bears.... Kind of like the Cubs before they won the Series, just impossible to hate them. And I have personal connections to the city and a lot of friends across the border.

Don't get me wrong, it's Packers first, last, and always. But in those years when that's not in the cards, I'm ok cheering for Da Bearz. Unfortunately, as their long-suffering fans know, there hasn't been much to cheer for. And I don't think that changes until they have a true franchise QB, something they haven't had in as long as I've been following the NFL. Even the 85 team won due to its defensive dominance. And the 2007 team couldn't get past P. Manning.

Maybe Williams will change the calculus. The track record of QBs who have been picked first overall is not stellar however.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Absolutely correct. The outlook is good. We have this roster with 10 or 11 picks next year and after paying rookies we still have about 10-12 mill under cap so not only are we loading our roster with quality young players and the cap is in great shape with 5 yrs of rookie QB money.
It's the best situation the Bearz have been in for a long, long time. For better or worse, it will all revolve around Williams. The 85 team won with defense and the 2007 team couldn't get past Manning. Chicago is overdue for a franchise QB. We'll see. First picks have generally not fared well, but even that is just the past. There's no reason to think Williams isn't the guy, or won't become one.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lol! I think we all have! :roflmao:

We've probably all beat this horse's corpse beyond recognition at this point. We know all the reasons you think the Bears are on the brink of a huge breakthrough, and I think you've heard all the reasons we're.... not so sure.

We'll all be right about some of them, wrong about some of the others, and 8 months from now we'll all know which was which. Personally, I hope for your sake that you mostly get your wish. I'm happier when the team just behind us in the standings every year is Chicago; I hate the Vikings, and while I have nothing against Detroit, it just feels more historically "right" when our main rivalry is George Halas' old club. I never felt any animosity toward the Bears; just a respectful competitiveness.

The team at the top rises higher when it's pushed up hard from just below them; the Bears' proper place is to be that team. When I raced bicycles, my most exciting races were the ones that I had someone right on my rear wheel for the last half mile; a "stoker". I'm happy to have the Bears "stoking" us.
One thing we can all agree on is that the Queens are just vile. From their obnoxious fans to their years of SB ineptitude, what's not to disdain?

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Bears are one of my least hated teams, unless the Packers are playing them! I laugh at their years of futility and incompetence, but, I could never cheer for them in the Superbowl!
The purples however can go suck a big fat ****!! God, I hate that team, their fans, that stupid horn,and, their goofy ********* looking owner!
Yeah disdain for the Queens is pretty much universal here in Cheesehead land.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

That's just bad asset management, by a team that can not afford to manage its assets poorly. A Day 3 pick, a full year later, for a starting quarterback? They'd actually have been much better off trading him for a punter and using that draft pick this year for a linebacker or DL.

And can you imagine the heat Poles is going to feel in 24 if Fields actually wins the starting job in Pittsburgh and plays well? Especially if Williams struggles?

I don't buy the part about the hest predictor of future outcome is past performance. The Packers of the 70s and 80s ring a bell? They sucked as well and got pretty good.

Last edited:

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I find it easy to hate the Queens, and I must admit I take pleasure in their record of ineptitude. The Lions? Meh. But the Bears.... Kind of like the Cubs before they won the Series, just impossible to hate them. And I have personal connections to the city and a lot of friends across the border.

Don't get me wrong, it's Packers first, last, and always. But in those years when that's not in the cards, I'm ok cheering for Da Bearz. Unfortunately, as their long-suffering fans know, there hasn't been much to cheer for. And I don't think that changes until they have a true franchise QB, something they haven't had in as long as I've been following the NFL. Even the 85 team won due to its defensive dominance. And the 2007 team couldn't get past P. Manning.

Maybe Williams will change the calculus. The track record of QBs who have been picked first overall is not stellar however.
The best part of it for me is my Bears fans friends hate the fact that I don't hate the Bears. They all hate the Packers with a passion and when I am happy for the Bears winning it drives them crazy.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't buy the part about the hest predictor of future outcome is past performance. The Packers of the 70s and 80s ring a bell? They sucked as well and got pretty good.
Well, he did say that it was the best predictor. We all know that it's not a great one but there really are none. So unless you know of a better one....

In high school, a teacher was introducing us to economics and the Federal Reserve. He likened their job as driving a car while only being able to look in the rear view mirror and guessing about what lies in the road ahead. Of course, he went on to say that we should never buy stocks purely based on past performance, but it could certainly be a part of the equation.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The best part of it for me is my Bears fans friends hate the fact that I don't hate the Bears. They all hate the Packers with a passion and when I am happy for the Bears winning it drives them crazy.
Having grown up in Milwaukee, I certainly would have been a Bears fan had the Packers not been around. It would have been a torturous existence, but they have a lot of great history to be proud of.

Reaction score
Yeah. Well it wont be 5 strict seasons on Rookie $$. It’s often at best 4 and most often either your QB gets a legit contract before that or flails and is gone. But 4 years is a more reasonable, yes. I see your point. It’s wonderful if you can get a + Starter at QB under 5% of Cap.

You obviously want to get that early return. However as seen with Trevor it doesn’t always work out that way. Either it takes a minute to get momentum as far as production OR if they overcome that obstacle your QB wants to be paid before that 5th year option (and if successful for a couple seasons they should)

Last edited:

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Halas owned and coached the Bears for the better part of the 20th century. He saw a lot of up and down years even before free agency. There were times when he must of thought about selling the franchise. But the team is still owned by the family. They love their team and they love football. What is important is that teams continue to compete and try to get better.

Packer Fan in SD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No disrespect meant to Caleb's Regurgitation, I love the rivalry, and hope you have a season you are pleased with.

FTR the Vikes are the only team in the division to never have won an NFL championship. True fact.

Diplomacy out of the phreaking way. Fav moment in recent Packer history for me was to see us win the Halas trophy, in Chicago, then win the Lombardi.

Caleb, I think you will be a good addition here, kind of like the Seahawks guy a few years back. Good luck, but, yeah, it is the Packer time again for now.