Brady is Giving Back

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Are you literally sitting here comparing these two QBs in this regard? I'm certain being married to a model wife who makes more than you, definitely helps. Plus if I'm not mistaken once Brady retires he's gonna get a massive payday.

Now we're just trying to be cheap. Come on now.

Last edited:

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm certain being married to a model wife who makes more than you, definitely helps.
I'm sure it does, but I'm tired of hearing about Brady's wife being an excuse. What, he couldn't live on what he's making anyway? I have a feeling his wife doesn't enter into his considerations when thinking about salary. He's interested in football, and winning. And probably doesn't have the nerve to ask Belichick for more lol.

Anyway, Rodgers has his contract, it's all settled for now.

PackinMSP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ya'll realize that you don't "take home" all of that salary right? Due to taxes....

But that also depends on what State you're in.

All said, I still feel that NFL players are WAYYY overpaid for something that doesn't necessarily add "value" to society besides entertainment.

But trust, I know how taxes feel on million dollar contracts as I run my own multimillion $ consulting firm here in the MSP area.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm sure it does, but I'm tired of hearing about Brady's wife being an excuse. What, he couldn't live on what he's making anyway? I have a feeling his wife doesn't enter into his considerations when thinking about salary. He's interested in football, and winning. And probably doesn't have the nerve to ask Belichick for more lol.

Anyway, Rodgers has his contract, it's all settled for now.
It's not an excuse though. It's a fact. You can be tired of it all you want, but the fact is being married to someone that makes more than you and by in large doesn't affect your lifestyle all too much. I guarantee if Brady wasn't married he'd be less obliged to take a paycut. That is a perk.

PackinMSP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's not an excuse though. It's a fact. You can be tired of it all you want, but the fact is being married to someone that makes more than you and by in large doesn't affect your lifestyle all too much. I guarantee if Brady wasn't married he'd be less obliged to take a paycut. That is a perk.

Most likely true.

Mass is an expensive state to live in

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guarantee if Brady wasn't married he'd be less obliged to take a paycut.
You can say that, but it's only conjecture. I don't think Brady's contracts would look any different if he was married to someone else. And I really don't think he'd be short of cash either way.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You can say that, but it's only conjecture. I don't think Brady's contracts would look any different if he was married to someone else. And I really don't think he'd be short of cash either way.
No more "conjecture" than your beliefs of Brady taking a paycut if he was married to someone else.

ARPackFan

Knock it off with them negative waves
Reaction score
A 41 year old QB that will turn 42 prior to the 2019 season willing to give a "hometown" discount for his next contract that will start when he is 43. What other team besides the Patriots would be willing to sign him to anything but a 1 year incentive laden contract?

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wrote here a couple times why Rodgers postpone/give back some of his millions
to get better/talented players in Green Bay.

Seems like Tom Brady found a way...…..

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nf...t-on-contract-extension/ar-BBTEQ79?li=BBnb7Kz

Did I miss where Aaron Rodgers married a super model worth more money than any ten players put together? Or the part where Rodgers was now rich enough to buy an actual NFL team and could therefore he considered "rich" by true NFL standards?

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think you are projecting “normal” salaries into an area where it makes no difference. Taxes notwithstanding.... these guys are making so much money that the amount of expendable income far exceeds anything they need or actually spend. I am only talking about the top players ie Top QBs. I highly doubt that Brady’s wife’s salary is even a concern to him.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

I wrote here a couple times why Rodgers postpone/give back some of his millions
to get better/talented players in Green Bay.

Seems like Tom Brady found a way...…..

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nf...t-on-contract-extension/ar-BBTEQ79?li=BBnb7Kz

Geez, some of you will never learn. It's a myth that Brady is talking significantly less money to help the Patriots stay competitive.

For the umpteenth time, the Packers have spent an average of only $1.2 million of cap hit per season more on Rodgers over the past eight seasons. Taking into consideration that Rodgers is six years younger and has been the most efficient quarterback for most of that time I guess that's appropriate.

Last edited by a moderator:

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Geez, some of you will never learn. It's a myth that Brady is talking significantly less money to help the Patriots stay competitive.

For the umpteenth time, the Packers have spent an average of only $1.2 million of cap hit per season more on Rodgers over the past eight seasons. Taking into consideration that Rodgers is six years younger and has been the most efficient quarterback for most of that time I guess that's appropriate.

Brady's salary is often very low because of all the money he gets in bonuses. His extension will follow that same pattern. His salary in 2019 is 14 million. 3 year extension. Convert 13 million of that to a signing bonus lowering his cap hit from 27 million to maybe 18-19 million (he already has a pro rated signing bonus hit from the last time he gave money back of 12 million which can't be changed and a roster bonus of 1 million) Add about 20 million in new money for 2020, 2021 and 2022 and and another 10 in the form of various guaranteed bonus and Brady walks away with a check for 15 million the day he signs and and leaves the Patriots with an average cap hit after this season of around 15 million. That is an incredibly low figure for a franchise QB and it does help the Patriots immensely. It also gives Tom Brady a shitload of guaranteed money that he gets up front but all people will look at is his salary and say gee what a team player he is giving back so the Patriots can field a winning team. No doubt Brady has worked to give the Patriots team friendly deals over the years but make no mistake about it they have paid handsomely for his services.

All this activity up to now has served to put Brady's cap hit for last year and the coming season at 22 and 27 million dollars respectively. Everyone complaining that Rodgers is greedy needs to remember two things. First of all Rodgers cap hits for those same years were/is 21 and 26.5 million. Those numbers are both less than Brady's. Second, QB contracts have gone up considerably between the time Brady signed his last deal and the time Rodgers signed his most recent one. I would be willing to bet anything that if Brady was 35 instead of 41 his next contract would surpass Rodgers in every way.

My numbers may be a bit off by a million or 2 or even 3 in the above example but I think you can see what I am talking about. Assuming both players play out their current contracts and any future ones they may sign Brady will not have made nearly as much money as Rodgers over his career but that is because salaries were not nearly as exorbitant in his early years. Given what he has done compared to other QBs over their careers and their salaries I have no problem saying that Tom Brady has been an incredible bargain for the Patriots. I also have no problem saying that he has been compensated very well for his services.

Oh, and I don't think it has anything to do with who he is married to.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brady's salary is often very low because of all the money he gets in bonuses. His extension will follow that same pattern. His salary in 2019 is 14 million. 3 year extension. Convert 13 million of that to a signing bonus lowering his cap hit from 27 million to maybe 18-19 million (he already has a pro rated signing bonus hit from the last time he gave money back of 12 million which can't be changed and a roster bonus of 1 million) Add about 20 million in new money for 2020, 2021 and 2022 and and another 10 in the form of various guaranteed bonus and Brady walks away with a check for 15 million the day he signs and and leaves the Patriots with an average cap hit after this season of around 15 million. That is an incredibly low figure for a franchise QB and it does help the Patriots immensely. It also gives Tom Brady a shitload of guaranteed money that he gets up front but all people will look at is his salary and say gee what a team player he is giving back so the Patriots can field a winning team. No doubt Brady has worked to give the Patriots team friendly deals over the years but make no mistake about it they have paid handsomely for his services.

All this activity up to now has served to put Brady's cap hit for last year and the coming season at 22 and 27 million dollars respectively. Everyone complaining that Rodgers is greedy needs to remember two things. First of all Rodgers cap hits for those same years were/is 21 and 26.5 million. Those numbers are both less than Brady's. Second, QB contracts have gone up considerably between the time Brady signed his last deal and the time Rodgers signed his most recent one. I would be willing to bet anything that if Brady was 35 instead of 41 his next contract would surpass Rodgers in every way.

My numbers may be a bit off by a million or 2 or even 3 in the above example but I think you can see what I am talking about. Assuming both players play out their current contracts and any future ones they may sign Brady will not have made nearly as much money as Rodgers over his career but that is because salaries were not nearly as exorbitant in his early years. Given what he has done compared to other QBs over their careers and their salaries I have no problem saying that Tom Brady has been an incredible bargain for the Patriots. I also have no problem saying that he has been compensated very well for his services.

Oh, and I don't think it has anything to do with who he is married to.
It’s too bad that you need to spell that out in detail for it to make sense to some.

D

Deleted member 6794

All this activity up to now has served to put Brady's cap hit for last year and the coming season at 22 and 27 million dollars respectively. Everyone complaining that Rodgers is greedy needs to remember two things.

Packers fans should actually complain that the team hasn't been able to structure Rodgers deals in a similar way to the ones the Patriots have been able with Brady.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can almost accept being outcoached by Belichick, since he's well known as being one of the best ever. But to have him outperform our GM is another thing. Our GM has one job, Belichick's pulling double duty.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can almost accept being outcoached by Belichick, since he's well known as being one of the best ever. But to have him outperform our GM is another thing. Our GM has one job, Belichick's pulling double duty.
This is me personally but it's a series of circumstances that NE benefits from in my opinion. Plus they are extremely well disciplined. NE hardly does anything questionable or stupid, and typically knows that chances are other opposing franchises will end up making that mistake. So all they have to do is wait. Plus again they are well disciplined.

Quientus

Oenophile
Reaction score
This is me personally but it's a series of circumstances that NE benefits from in my opinion. Plus they are extremely well disciplined. NE hardly does anything questionable or stupid, and typically knows that chances are other opposing franchises will end up making that mistake. So all they have to do is wait. Plus again they are well disciplined.

The circumstances you are referring to are because of:

1) Its a Well run and lead organisation (Belichick the GM)

2) Its a Well run and lead organisation (Belichick the Coach)

3) They have an Owner who Lets those have employed to take charge, be in charge and who doesnt “meddle” (interfere) too much

4) Players are (more often than not) willing to go further to play for Belichick ...

What they do in Boston isn’t “Luck” ... its a philisophy and one many other teams should try to do more to emulate ...
- And they never “wait” for others ... more often, NE are frontrunners and “trend-setters” than they do the “waiting game” ... if ever ...

I’m glad some one took the time to explain the cap situation about Brady, because I was ridiculed in another thread when pointing that out (without the explanation - as I wrongfully thought most Yanks would know more about that than me a European ... Lol)

Members online

Latest posts