BOTH D-Ends

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anyone else have the feeling that the defense will have two new starting D-Ends on it next season? I do. In fact if I had my choice Kenny Clark would actually play DE in this scheme and I’d find a guy who was 340-350 to plug in that DT spot. Outside of Martinez not being able to get off blocks, I think the Packers are very light on the D line. If think any good 34 defense should have each guy 330 or bigger at NT and both DE spots.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Dean Lowry has played very well, especially in the 2nd half, in his role doing the dirty work. He just signed an extension. He isn't going anywhere, nor should he.

A 330 pound plugger would play less than 30% of the snaps for the Packers.

They do need to find a better option at 3T, as Adams hasn't materialized and Keke isn't ready (and may not ever be for that matter). It does help that Za'Darius can rush inside so well.

The OP seems to be assuming that the Packers play a lot of 3-4 base defense with a true NT and two 3-4 DE's. That's not our defense.

The Packers defense played about 1040 snaps in 2019. Our defensive linemen, in total (Clark, Lowry, Lancaster, Adams, Keke, Brown) accounted for 2185 snaps. We are basically a two iDL defense, like basically every other NFL team.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anyone else have the feeling that the defense will have two new starting D-Ends on it next season? I do. In fact if I had my choice Kenny Clark would actually play DE in this scheme and I’d find a guy who was 340-350 to plug in that DT spot. Outside of Martinez not being able to get off blocks, I think the Packers are very light on the D line. If think any good 34 defense should have each guy 330 or bigger at NT and both DE spots.

How many 3-4 defenses in the league have a DL that averages 330?

How many NT's that weight 350 are actually playing >50% of snaps?

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dean Lowry has played very well, especially in the 2nd half, in his role doing the dirty work. He just signed an extension. He isn't going anywhere, nor should he.

A 330 pound plugger would play less than 30% of the snaps for the Packers.

They do need to find a better option at 3T, as Adams hasn't materialized and Keke isn't ready (and may not ever be for that matter). It does help that Za'Darius can rush inside so well.

The OP seems to be assuming that the Packers play a lot of 3-4 base defense with a true NT and two 3-4 DE's. That's not our defense.

The Packers defense played about 1040 snaps in 2019. Our defensive linemen, in total (Clark, Lowry, Lancaster, Adams, Keke, Brown) accounted for 2185 snaps. We are basically a two iDL defense, like basically every other NFL team.
Does Keke actually play? Has he ever made a tackle? Who is Brown? He probably has as many tackles as Keke.

D

Deleted member 6794

The Niners defense doesn't have a single player over 300 pounds receiving any snaps. The need for massive defensive linemen is vastly overblown by several posters in here.

Does Keke actually play? Has he ever made a tackle? Who is Brown? He probably has as many tackles as Keke.

Keke has played a total of 94 snaps on defense this season.

Dantés was talking about Fadol Brown who played 18 snaps on defense during the first four weeks of the season but was released in October.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Clark had 2nd highest interior pressure number, only behind Aaron Donald who i also believe under 300 pounds.

Might > Weight (or something like that :D)

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

Kenny Clark: 869 snaps (84%)
Dean Lowry: 637 (61%)
Tyler Lancaster: 381 (37%)
Montravius Adams: 187 (18%)
Kingsley Keke: 94 (9%)
Fadol Brown: 17 (2%)

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I too have wondered why Keke hasn't replaced Adams. I've seen Lancaster out there occasionally which really concerned me because he's just an effort player. This DE class is SHALLOW. I don't know how Gute is going to do it, but he needs to find a way. If I got starts falling, I expect him to jump up and get him.

Two darkhorse solutions, Solomon Thomas or Arik Armstead. The 49ers have a dire cap situation this offseason and they won't be able to keep everybody. It's Super Bowl or bust. Thomas could be an inexpensive stopgap or maybe he becomes what everyone thought he would be as a former Top 5 pick. Armstead would absolutely set the field on fire, we'd lead the league in sacks.

I've been trying to scout deep into the 2020 class to find another Dean Lowry or better in the 4th-5th Round but it's not looking good.

Members online

Latest posts