BOB SANDERS FIRED!!

Diltzy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's about time, but this is just rumors so far. Packers.com still has nothing on it. So lets not get too excited until I see it in writing.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Diltzy said:
It's about time, but this is just rumors so far. Packers.com still has nothing on it. So lets not get too excited until I see it in writing.

your aware that NFP is ran by former GB cap guru Andrew Brandt and Al Harris agent?

NFP is NOT anything like pr football talk, or "JOE" from packerchatters..

I am pretty sure they are not going to post something such as that with their reputation on the line..

Diltzy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
longtimefan said:
Diltzy said:

your aware that NFP is ran by former GB cap guru Andrew Brandt and Al Harris agent?

NFP is NOT anything like pr football talk, or "JOE" from packerchatters..

I am pretty sure they are not going to post something such as that with their reputation on the line..

I'm not saying it's false at all, I just would rather see it right from the Packers' own website that's all. I'd imagine it will be on there bright an early tomorrow morning though.

doughsellz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
wischeez said:
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/2009/01/breaking-news-packers-fire-sanders/

Green Bay Press Gazette has offered a slant on what direction MM needs to go now that Bob Sanders has been fired. No story directly addressing the firing with statements from the people involved, just where do we go from here. Kinda strange.

Sanders fired as defensive coordinator, but who's next?
By Pete Dougherty • [email protected] • January 4, 2009

Having fired defensive coordinator Bob Sanders, Green Bay Packers coach Mike McCarthy faces a major decision on the direction his team's defense will take over the next few years.

NationalFootballPost.com reported the move on Sunday evening.

McCarthy now begins the search for a replacement for Sanders, who was the Packers' defensive coordinator for the past three seasons.

McCarthy took a full week after the Packers’ 2008 season ended to make the move, which many inside and outside the organization expected after key defensive letdowns contributed significantly to the team’s 6-10 record. McCarthy hired Sanders as defensive coordinator after being named head coach in 2006.

Sanders, 55, had been defensive line coach on former coach Mike Sherman’s staff, and McCarthy opted to promote him to defensive coordinator after Jim Bates turned down the job. McCarthy liked the continuity Sanders offered in retaining the defensive scheme the Packers used in 2005 as well as the aggressive man-to-man pass coverage the system deploys.

However, after finishing No. 12 in the 32-team NFL in yards allowed and tying for No. 6 in points allowed in 2007 and helping the Packers advance to the NFC championship game, Sanders’ defense dipped to Nos. 20 and 22, respectively, this season.

Most importantly, the defense was unable to get key stops late in several close games the Packers lost. It allowed more fourth-quarter points than all but one team in the league.

McCarthy’s background is as a quarterbacks coach and offensive coordinator, so his defensive coordinator has near autonomy over that side of the ball. Among the factors McCarthy must consider is whether he wants to leep a 4-3 defense or switch to a 3-4, which would require major changes in the types of defensive linemen and linebackers the team uses.

The one potential in-house candidate to replace Sanders is Winston Moss, is the Packers’ linebackers coach and assistant head coach. Though Moss has worked in Sanders’ defensive scheme the past three years, he spent his formative coaching seasons working for Jim Haslett with the New Orleans Saints from 2000 to 2005. Haslett, who finished this season as interim coach of the St. Louis Rams, runs a blitz-oriented 4-3 system that’s different than the Bates-Sanders system.

Moss also is a candidate for the Rams’ head coaching vacancy and interviewed for that position Saturday. He also reportedly will be interviewed a second time by the Rams.

Haslett, who remains in the running for the Rams’ head coaching opening, also is a potential candidate for McCarthy. McCarthy was Haslett’s offensive coordinator with the Saints from 2000 to 2004.

Several former head coaches who were fired this year or are position coaches also could be candidates: Mike Nolan, who was fired as San Francisco’s head coach at midseason; Gregg Williams, who was let go as Jacksonville’s defensive coordinator after the regular season; Romeo Crennel, who was fired last week as Cleveland’s head coach; Rod Marinelli, who was fired as Detroit’s head coach last week; Jerry Gray, the former Buffalo Bills defensive coordinator and current secondary coach for the Washington Redskins; and Dave McGinnis, the former Arizona Cardinals head coach who is the Tennessee Titans' linebackers coach. However, McGinnis' additional title of assistant head coach allows the Titans to block a move to defensive coordinator if they choose.

Eric Mangini, who was fired as the New York Jets’ head coach after the season, is another possible replacement but appears to be a front-runner for Cleveland’s vacant head-coaching position.

Potential candidates who haven’t been defensive coordinators in the NFL include:

-- Todd Bowles, a former Packers scout who worked for Bill Parcells in Dallas and is Miami’s defensive backs coach. He also carries the title of assistant head coach, which allows the Dolphins to block a move to any coaching position but head coach.

-- Pepper Johnson, New England’s linebackers coach. He’s worked nine seasons in the creative and versatile system coach Bill Belichick runs with the Patriots.

-- Bill Sheridan, the New York Giants’ linebackers coach. He’s worked the past two years in the defensive system run by Giants, the pressure-oriented system taught by Philadelphia Eagles defensive coordinator Jim Johnson.

-- Sean McDermott, Philadelphia’s defensive backs coach. The 34-year-old McDermott has coached defensive backs and linebackers under Johnson in that same pressure-oriented scheme since 2001.

Hiring Nolan, Crennel, Pepper Johnson or Bowles would require a big roster change because all have backgrounds steeped in the 3-4 defensive scheme.

The Packers’ roster is built for a 4-3 defense, so switching to the 3-4 would require adding a pure nose tackle and finding several hybrid linebackers who can both rush the passer and cover the flats in pass coverage.

My vote is for Sean McDermott.

CM_Awesome

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Great call! If Sanders didn't get the boot, I would have been pessimistic about 2009. My guess is Moss becomes the DC unless he gets the Rams coaching job.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Finally a step in the right direction!! Too bad McCarthy didn't follow him out.

I only hope they replace the defensive coaches with quality guys.

Members online

Latest posts