Bo Melton Added in 2022...

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Simmer down...I'm only making this thread to track IF Bo becomes something it has a placeholder for discussions. Many of us liked him in his draft class, albeit as a late round flyer. He ended up going in the 7th round to SEA.

We signed him off the SEA practice squad right at the end of December.

I've had a few discussions with my contacts closer and while it is very hard to get any actual insight to the storylines we all care most about (Rodgers/Lazard/Amos/Bakh and such) I was reminded in one about the "Rutgets kid I was a big fan of" as the one guy put it.

He reminded me of the addition and said the staff and Christian Watson are pumped to have him in house and looking forward to 2023. Many may not realize it but Bo and Christian were very close the entire prep period up to the combine, worked out at the same facilities and competed each other in good nature sense for fastest times, highest verts, shuttles and such. Remember Bo is an OOBER athletic, but smaller framed guy....Bo recently said despite him beating Watson in the combine numbers Watson did run in the 4.2s at times while they trained.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Also don't forget per Pro Football Focus that draft class Christian was one of only 9 other WRs with better YAC production than Melton.

The failed experiment of Amari Rodgers no doubt has left a poor taste in everyone's mouths on smaller framed WRs...but Bo is much lighter and far more built like Cobb (5'10' 192) and many see Bo fighting hard for that Cobb type role in house next season with him possibly not back. Sounds like Christian and Bo are back to working out together and it seems this might include Love in the offseason too some.

Bo led the Seahawks in the preseason in receiving but was put on the PS. Seattle for all their struggles has a fairly decent WR room with Metcalf, Lockett, Goodwin and than factor in solid trio of TEs in the passing game of Fant, Dissly and Parkinson there simply wasn't a ton of room and Dee Eskridge, Laquon Treadwell and Cade Johnson got nods over him for bottom roster spots.

Packers in 2023 even IF we add a veteran presence has a wide open WR room...arguably the only locks for gameday actives are Watson and Doubs....after that you have only Toure arguably ahead of Melton as Jeff Cotton has to be the bottom of the five presently.

Not predicting anything crazy out of Bo personally but don't be shocked if with his insanely high physical gifts, familiarity with Watson clicks perhaps here more than he ever did at Seattle and be that 350-450 yard type slot WR that Cobb has been depending how the roster washes out and he eventually progresses - it might be 2024 before he truly gets the snaps, but outside chance is there for sure now with our WR room even with additions.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Melton gonna be good...with Watson, Doubs, Toure, Melton, a nice veteran and a nice draft pick, thats a strong diverse 6

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh man dont do that to him haha...hes much faster than Amari. Looks to me to have a better feel for football and as far as i know doesn't have a fumbling problem

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh man font do that to him haha...hes much faster than Amari. Looks to me to have a better feel for football and as far as i know doesn't have a fumbling problem

Yeah, as I mentioned in the OP entirely different build and actually a WR type, not a RB type playing WR.

D

Deleted member 6794

The failed experiment of Amari Rodgers no doubt has left a poor taste in everyone's mouths on smaller framed WRs...but Bo is much lighter and far more built like Cobb (5'10' 192) and many see Bo fighting hard for that Cobb type role in house next season with him possibly not back.

It's interesting to note that Melton lined up in the slot on only 23.4% of his snaps at Rutgers and was used primarily as a wideout (70.4%) during the preseason with the Seahawks last year as well.

Melton gonna be good...with Watson, Doubs, Toure, Melton, a nice veteran and a nice draft pick, thats a strong diverse 6

I don't believe a lot of teams would consider that a strong receiving corps entering next season.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't believe a lot of teams would consider that a strong receiving corps entering next season.

Those teams would be limited by an inability to project talent. Watson gonna be a star. Doubs a solid number 3/4. Toure and Melton are talented as your 5 and 6

You end up with say Quentin Johnston at 15 or Jalin Hyatt at 45 and a nice veteran maybe even Allen Lazard or DJ Chark or Juju Smith Shuster. Or I suppose even deandre hopkins could be an option

Id say most teams would consider that a strong group. You got Watson/Johnston as you 1/2 and then Doubs/Chark as your 3/4 and Toure/Melton as your 5/6. With Aaron Rodgers at qb thats a group you can definitely win with

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Those teams would be limited by an inability to project talent. Watson gonna be a star. Doubs a solid number 3/4. Toure and Melton are talented as your 5 and 6

You end up with say Quentin Johnston at 15 or Jalin Hyatt at 45 and a nice veteran maybe even Allen Lazard or DJ Chark or Juju Smith Shuster. Or I suppose even deandre hopkins could be an option

Id say most teams would consider that a strong group. You got Watson/Johnston as you 1/2 and then Doubs/Chark as your 3/4 and Toure/Melton as your 5/6. With Aaron Rodgers at qb thats a group you can definitely win with

Insert Captains dismissive comment something to the effect of "I don't believe even with a veteran signing or a high level rookie, that is a WR room that can contend for a super bowl." :D (Love ya Capt!)

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With Love no chance...with Rodgers theres a chance but yeah even tho I dont like it really if you switch chark for hopkins then you have something teams would be scared of. I guess theyd play cover 2 exclusively and Jones & Dillon would get the benefit

D

Deleted member 6794

While I agree the Packers might be able to win with that group as long as Rodgers is around it would still be a below average one compared to other teams in the league in my opinion.

Members online

Latest posts