Blake Martinez

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey. At least you didn’t finish by saying
“But he didn’t he dropped it!” Lol
I’m about ready to start slapping own self. :x3:

PS. Not much irritates me people will tell you I’m the nice guy. I don’t feel like the nice guy when I here it regurgitated. It just gets under my skin. Do you ever have anything that just makes you want to choke someone to the floor?? :eek:

I apologize I had a tough day I’ll be nice again
Buggar Bill feels your pain. Last I heard he was in the highlands of Scotland and quite mad, poor buggar.;)

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey. At least you didn’t finish by saying
“But he didn’t he dropped it!” Lol
I’m about ready to start slapping own self. :x3:

PS. Not much irritates me people will tell you I’m the nice guy. I don’t feel like the nice guy when I here it regurgitated. It just gets under my skin. Do you ever have anything that just makes you want to choke someone to the floor?? :eek:

I apologize I had a tough day I’ll be nice again
Well when it comes to well paid athletes who are paid to perform, they simply have to perform, or move on. It's no different than any other job in that regard. Watson came in with a reputation for drops and I expect he'll fix it. And rookies make mistakes. That's ok as long as they learn from and don't repeat the mistakes. And the higher the draft pick, the less tolerance fans have for non-performance.

Is that a lot of pressure on a young guy? Welcome to the NFL.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He was targeted three more times that same game following that drop. One of those three targets was not complete but wasn't a drop. The fact we (Aaron) went back to him shows faith is there. Rodgers is definitely the type to write a guy off, but not this early and not for a rookie IMO.
if Rodgers were to “write him off” it would be due to a perception that he was working hard enough to learn and improve… it wouldn’t be for an athletic failure.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
if Rodgers were to “write him off” it would be due to a perception that he was working hard enough to learn and improve… it wouldn’t be for an athletic failure.
I think Watson will be fine. The drop was magnified by the circumstances. It didn't help that he has a history of drops. He does have to get better and he needs to make damn near all of the big catches he missed Sunday. He'll get his chances. I'd also like to see him develop a complete route tree rather than just the long pass that depends on his speed. Nothing wrong with that, but he needs to do more.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm actually mildly surprised by that number. I'm usually conservative in my going by eye estimates. I honestly expected that number to hit 70%.

Were the throws actually less than 20 yards? Or the result of the play?

That numbers represents throws that were in the air for less than 20 yards.

Yeah I think in his first year he got that reputation as a strictly deep route guy. But he did add other routes. I don't know if he played out of the slot. Probably not given his height. But he did have a variety of routes he could run. and his catching got better as well. He was pretty dependable.

MVS lined up in the slot of 30% of his offensive snaps in four years with the Packers.

Disagree. That's a long stretch of play with no targets. Hard to believe Rodgers wasn't sending him a message. I don't think that's a good way to send a message, it hurts the team. But it's not beyond Rodgers to do something like that.

Well, we'll have to disagree on it.

It did one thing for me. It showed that his speed more than translated.

I’m not going to continually “hard ding” a player for a missed bomb in his NFL debut. Especially for his very 1st target of his career. Saying it once or twice or maybe even a third time is one thing. Repeatedly and incessantly Harping on a player for a mistake on their first target though? To the point nobody can discuss the player without you interjecting the obvious?
Watson’s dropped pass pales in comparison to how bad that looks. I’d rather relive that drop then have you say it again!
I’m begging you!
Mercy!! :laugh:

I'm not harping on Watson because of his drop. It's a fact that opponents won't respect his speed if he continues to have trouble catching the ball though.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You did it again! You can’t help it I know I know. :confused: :laugh:
I'm not sure I understand your point. All Cap is saying is the obvious. If Watson, or any wide receiver, keeps dropping balls he'll lose the respect of the secondary he plays against. More important, he'll lose the respect of his teammates and coaches and inevitably get benched or cut.

Now it's way too early to make sure statements about Watson. Sunday was one game. But he faces more pressure now to start making the majority of his catches, especially when the ball is dropped right into his hands. That's all there is really.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
28 and should be set for life. Was paid about $30M over his 7 year career.
Wow that's young. Thanks. He'll be set for life if he hired a financial advisor. So many of these guys don't. The $30M gets eaten up by agency fees, injury insurance, taxes, so the number is still big, just not $30m. If he invested on his own, he'll probably be working at Menards stocking shelves in a few years.

Reaction score
Wow that's young. Thanks. He'll be set for life if he hired a financial advisor. So many of these guys don't. The $30M gets eaten up by agency fees, injury insurance, taxes, so the number is still big, just not $30m. If he invested on his own, he'll probably be working at Menards stocking shelves in a few years.
I did that once when I was 18.
I rode my Mountain bike to Menards Cashway in the middle of an Eden Prairie Winter and hustled circled around those chumps in Hardware :tup:
I remember we had this retired guy we nicknamed him “Where”

Because I think he had Alzheimer’s or something and when having to clear a grocery cart of miniature screws etc.. he’d hold up the package and just keep asking everyone.., where?? Where??
WHERE??!
I felt bad for that guy

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
You'd have to be pretty bad with money to squander $30M. I don't feel too bad for the star athletes who somehow do. Go get a job like the rest of us and work it til you are 60+

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You'd have to be pretty bad with money to squander $30M. I don't feel too bad for the star athletes who somehow do. Go get a job like the rest of us and work it til you are 60+
I agree, but you'd be surprised at the number of these guys who **** away their money. TBH, I don't know how I'd handle $10 mil when I was twenty. I would have liked to find out but that ship has sailed. I don't feel bad for them either. And if they do go broke, welcome to our world! Vote for keeping Social Security!

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
He always had the smarts and drive

I’ve heard from people inside that he was studying the playbook at all hours .

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Agreed, but like Heyjoe pointed out, how much of that 30 million does he actually get?

So many have squandered more money than that.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed, but like Heyjoe pointed out, how much of that 30 million does he actually get?

His agent's fee is probably 10%, but I'm guessing. The max federal tax bracket is 37% and it's likely he's paying that on most of his income. So that 47% gone right there. And then there are state taxes depending on the state that can add another 5% in WI. In CA it's 13%. In some states it's zero. He was in NY when he made most of his money and I don't know their state tax. It's probably high.

Even if all of that is right, it still leaves him with $10-15 mil plus or minus. So much depends on how much these guys save versus going nuts and buying multi-million dollar homes. It's always better, even for these guys, to live within their means (plus a little extra - like a reasonably upscale home and a luxury car or truck) and invest wisely. Even $5 mil invested wisely at age 28 for 30 years can turn into a real fortune.

The point is that big money can go away fast. Throw in a divorce without a prenup and that's 50% gone to your ex-spouse, not including any child support. Unchecked spending on luxury goods beside a car. It's just a reality check. $30 mil is not really $30 mil.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

He gets plenty....

Sports agents generally receive between 4 and 15% of the athlete's playing contract. So lets take the high. That is $4.5M to his agent. Now tax it at say 50%. That still leaves him with almost $13M after tax.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
His agent's fee is probably 10%, but I'm guessing. The max federal tax bracket is 37% and it's likely he's paying that on most of his income. So that 47% gone right there. And then there are state taxes depending on the state that can add another 5% in WI. In CA it's 13%. In some states it's zero. He was in NY when he made most of his money and I don't know their state tax. It's probably high.

Even if all of that is right, it still leaves him with $10-15 mil plus or minus. So much depends on how much these guys save versus going nuts and buying multi-million dollar homes. It's always better, even for these guys, to live within their means (plus a little extra - like a reasonably upscale home and a luxury car or truck) and invest wisely. Even $5 mil invested wisely at age 28 for 30 years can turn into a real fortune.

The point is that big money can go away fast. Throw in a divorce without a prenup and that's 50% gone to your ex-spouse, not including any child support. Unchecked spending on luxury goods beside a car. It's just a reality check. $30 mil is not really $30 mil.
Super....now do that on a person making around $50k-80K per year. We should then talk about how their savings can be lost too.

Sorry, but I just find it comical that people wring their hands over an NFL player not being paid enough, because "x and y could happen to him". I don't feel sorry for any person that makes millions in the NFL and then can't retire quite comfortably on it, at the age of fricking 28.

I also don't feel sorry for players who don't make it beyond a tryout contract, an UDFA, a 7th round pick that gets cut, etc. You made a good run at a profession, didn't make it, now go find something to do, that supports you and your family.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Super....now do that on a person making around $50k-80K per year. We should then talk about how their savings can be lost too.

Sorry, but I just find it comical that people wring their hands over an NFL player not being paid enough, because "x and y could happen to him". I don't feel sorry for any person that makes millions in the NFL and then can't retire quite comfortably on it, at the age of fricking 28.

I also don't feel sorry for players who don't make it beyond a tryout contract, an UDFA, a 7th round pick that gets cut, etc. You made a good run at a profession, didn't make it, now go find something to do, that supports you and your family.
You're all over the place.

No one is saying he didn't get paid enough. And this isn't about comparing him to a normal person. It's simply a matter of saying that many pro athletes make comparable money and then end up working normal jobs the rest of their lives because they weren't good with their money.

That's the only point. No one is arguing the 17 different directions you're trying to take this.

SudsMcBucky

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He'll also get his NFL pension for life, too.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
You're all over the place.
How so? A poster says "It's just a reality check. $30 mil is not really $30 mil" and I disagree. It actually IS $30M, whether it is an NFL player earning it, a lottery winner or a farmer that hits oil. Just like $30K is just $30K, whether it is an NFL player earning it, or anyone else.

If you want to put NFL players in their own little glass bubble and not compare them to the other 99.9999% of the population, go at it.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
How so? A poster says "It's just a reality check. $30 mil is not really $30 mil" and I disagree. It actually IS $30M, whether it is an NFL player earning it, a lottery winner or a farmer that hits oil. Just like $30K is just $30K, whether it is an NFL player earning it, or anyone else.

If you want to put NFL players in their own little glass bubble and not compare them to the other 99.9999% of the population, go at it.
I know your Rodgers takes aren't the best right now, but you don't have to deflect by going round and round on this...... :p

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I know your Rodgers takes aren't the best right now, but you don't have to deflect by going round and round on this...... :p
Look at the thread. How does talking about players salary and life after the NFL have anything to do with my "Rodgers takes"? The conversation was about Blake Martinez and evolved into a conversation about life after football for him and others.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts