Blake Martinez

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It might be smart to wait a bit longer to make an assessment of Walker as an NFL player.
This raises a good question, although I'm not sure how to answer. Which rookies have had an instant impact on their teams? I guess one way to assess is which rookies have made first or second All Pro? The Pro Bowl could also be a. gauge, but not a very good one with all the substitutions and alternates assigned.

Not sure if the database you use could find such players. It would be interesting and I imagine a very short list.

D

Deleted member 6794

This raises a good question, although I'm not sure how to answer. Which rookies have had an instant impact on their teams? I guess one way to assess is which rookies have made first or second All Pro? The Pro Bowl could also be a. gauge, but not a very good one with all the substitutions and alternates assigned.

Not sure if the database you use could find such players. It would be interesting and I imagine a very short list.

There have been a total of 15 rookies who made the first All-Pro team over the past 10 seasons. Micah Parsons was the last to make it last year.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There have been a total of 15 rookies who made the first All-Pro team over the past 10 seasons. Micah Parsons was the last to make it last year.
Somehow, I knew you'd have this info. I didn't know Parsons was a rookie last year. He struck me as a veteran, that's how well he played. Thanks for the info!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

Hmmm, after the injuries to Walker and Barnes vs. the Vikings it might not be a terrible idea to consider bringing Martinez back after all :eek:

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hmmm, after the injuries to Walker and Barnes vs. the Vikings it might not be a terrible idea to consider bringing Martinez back after all :eek:
I believe I mentioned this a few days ago? That if there were any problems, he could at least be someone who could be plugged in, and play?

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Yup few of us mentioned the ONLY time I'm calling Blake is if injuries hit and this SUCKS but depending on what the verdict is it could be case now.

Ty Summers not on an active is also an option to sign back.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I specifically said, I hope we never find ourselves in a position where signing Martinez back was a legitimate option, and here we are. WTF man. I'm going to start saying things opposite or something. Not a great start to the year to say the least.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I specifically said, I hope we never find ourselves in a position where signing Martinez back was a legitimate option, and here we are. WTF man. I'm going to start saying things opposite or something. Not a great start to the year to say the least.

Part of me thinks Summers may get a call before Blake though.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's ironic. Barnes injury looks serious, not sure about Walker. I still don't think Martinez fits. That said, they may find they need a body just to guard against future injuries. They'll sign someone off the waiver wire this week if they don't have an ILB stashed on the PS.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's ironic. Barnes injury looks serious, not sure about Walker. I still don't think Martinez fits. That said, they may find they need a body just to guard against future injuries. They'll sign someone off the waiver wire this week if they don't have an ILB stashed on the PS.
no idea about Walker, shoulders can be tricky, especially with a guy that is going to make his living using his as punishing devices.

I feel pretty confident that Barnes is done for the year.

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
no idea about Walker, shoulders can be tricky, especially with a guy that is going to make his living using his as punishing devices.

Yes regardless of what the injury is they will sit twice as long as they need anyways…

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Before getting hurt, it seemed like Walker was all over the field pursuing. Not sure about his stats but there was no denying his energy. Hopefully he gets back but yeah, shoulders can be a real problem for an ILB.

Barnes might be done for the season. I don't have any more than what I saw on the field, an inflatable cast and a cart. Not good at all.

Reaction score
I don't know Martinez recovery situation, but if he was good to go and was willing to take a prove it deal and he plays anything like he did in 2020 he'd be an absolute steal. He's better than Barnes

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Before getting hurt, it seemed like Walker was all over the field pursuing. Not sure about his stats but there was no denying his energy. Hopefully he gets back but yeah, shoulders can be a real problem for an ILB.

Barnes might be done for the season. I don't have any more than what I saw on the field, an inflatable cast and a cart. Not good at all.

Walker struggled in pass defense mightedly a couple times that cost us, but that is a growing pain all LBs will experience coming into the league. His athleticism will save him at times in that aspect too no doubt.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yup few of us mentioned the ONLY time I'm calling Blake is if injuries hit and this SUCKS but depending on what the verdict is it could be case now.

Ty Summers not on an active is also an option to sign back.
Nooooo, on Summers... please?

Was against Blake Martinez, but ... with #2 & #3 ILB's down for some time I'd entertain this idea. Others to consider: Joe Schobert, Anthony Hitchens, D'onta Hightower, (Don't want Trevathan!!), or Jarrad Davis?

Reaction score
Walker struggled in pass defense mightedly a couple times that cost us, but that is a growing pain all LBs will experience coming into the league. His athleticism will save him at times in that aspect too no doubt.
YEah all the Rookies looked starstruck. I'm really not worried about our Rookies at WR or DT or LB long-term as I think they will eventually be above average or better. However we are a relatively young team and it's not IF but WHEN will they start to click. Christian showed me what I already knew, he's blazing fast and against average speed Secondaries he'll need to be doubled. Keep feeing him the ball and get his confidence going because he is a legitimate deep threat. I'm not going to beat the kid up over his first NFL pass either, really even if he scores there, we still lose this game. The best thing that could have happened is making him aware of how critical those plays are. Nobody will be harder on him than he is on himself and mark my words he'll redeem himself and eventually be better than MVS on a good day

I'm not sold on Hanson at all, he got manhandled by Z and there are going to be more guys coming at him that are that good or better. He needs more strength training

Last edited:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nooooo, on Summers... please?

Was against Blake Martinez, but ... with #2 & #3 ILB's down for some time I'd entertain this idea. Others to consider: Joe Schobert, Anthony Hitchens, D'onta Hightower, (Don't want Trevathan!!), or Jarrad Davis?

I am not saying it is the direction I would go, however also consider for a moment beyond both of our knee jerk reactions that you have your #2 and #3 ILBs possibly down and out. You need someone that is very familiar with the calls and Barry Defense if you have to have someone come in and play snaps...Summers isn't too far removed from starting for us even in GB and would be able to slide in arguably faster than anyone....if I thought we lost Barnes for a long time I'm actually probably adding Summers and also looking at Schobert or Hitchens or Hightower type

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
YEah all the Rookies looked starstruck. I'm really not worried about our Rookies at WR or DT or LB long-term as I think they will eventually be above average or better. However we are a relatively young team and it's not IF but WHEN will they start to click. Christian showed me what I already knew, he's blazing fast and against average speed Secondaries he'll need to be doubled. Keep feeing him the ball and get his confidence going because he is a legitimate deep threat. I'm not going to beat the kid up over his first NFL pass either, really even if he scores there, we still lose this game. The best thing that could have happened is making him aware of how critical those plays are. Nobody will be harder on him than he is on himself and mark my words he'll redeem himself and eventually be better than MVS on a good day

I'm not sold on Hanson at all, he got manhandled by Z and there are going to be more guys coming at him that are that good or better. He needs more strength training

Hanson is a backup zone blocking center at tops for us IMO. He has improved immensely from last year but it is NOT right to start him over Tom

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So, suddenly Blake Martinez looks like a possibility to fill a hole on defense, if we see long term injuries from two of our ILBs?

Whether or not it happens doesn't matter, what does matter is that the idea doesn't look so dumb anymore, does it?

Always keep an open mind on what has to be done when unexpected things happen. Contemplating it in advance is always a wise decision.

Members online

Latest posts