Bigby 1 of 3 people on the PUP list

PackisBack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's on there with Al Harris (which is no surprise) and our 6th round pick James Starks (which troubles me a little, if nothing else that's one less person we have to compete for the return positions).

But Bigby being on there is surprising. This is probably the number 1 worst thing he could have done to hurt his chances of retaining the starting job. Morgan Burnett has been taking all the snaps with the number 1 defense and coaches and players have been saying how much they like them.

My question is: if Bigby is still on the PUP list come the first week of the regular season, does he ever get his job back or do we go with Morgan Burnett all the way? And if we go with Burnett, I'd put my money on the fact that Bigby is still good trade material and that we could get a decent dimeback, punter, or backup OLB or some combination of those for him. Thoughts?

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It certainly explains why Blackmon made the conversion to safety. It just matters now whether Burnett will earn the starting spot or Blackmon starts by default due to him being a veteran.

3irty1

Fear the Dreads!
Reaction score
I say Burnett easily starts over Blackmon. Especially if he's getting reps in practice with the first squad. If he continues to do good in practice, then I'd say start him.

aaronqb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is a bit troubling. It almost seems like Bigby was trying to keep something away from the Packer staff for whatever reason. He hasn't been healthy for over 2 years now and that's not good. I don't think you can bank on anything from him this year. I think you have to move forward with Burnett and hope that Bigby can get healthy sometime during the season.

When healthy, he's a good safety particularly later in the year when the fields are slower and speed isn't at such a premium.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really wouldn't throw Burnett into the fire just yet. Let's try to bring him in slowly like we did with Matthews. It certainly helps the developmental process with rookies. We may have to sacrifice some abysmal playmaking with the secondary (I highly doubt Blackmon makes much of an impact at safety) but it'll all be worth it after a stellar run to the playoffs.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really wouldn't throw Burnett into the fire just yet. Let's try to bring him in slowly like we did with Matthews. It certainly helps the developmental process with rookies. We may have to sacrifice some abysmal playmaking with the secondary (I highly doubt Blackmon makes much of an impact at safety) but it'll all be worth it after a stellar run to the playoffs.
We didn't actually bring Matthews slowly. The coaching staff realized that he was a much better layer than Poppinga, and thus let him play. He was a better player than Poppinga by week 1...

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We didn't actually bring Matthews slowly. The coaching staff realized that he was a much better layer than Poppinga, and thus let him play. He was a better player than Poppinga by week 1...

I meant rotationwise. Poppinga was the starter up til week 4 or 5 when Matthews took over full time. That's how I envision Burnett getying on the field as well.

Schmitty327

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Burnett is going to be starting over Bigby. Maybe not right away but Atari is hurt quite a bit and I think once burnett gets in there he stays in there.

KilrB

Cheesehead
Reaction score
More news...

Greg_A_Bedard:
Packers S Atari Bigby said he injured the ankle in the conditioning drill. It was not a problem during the off-season. He is worried.

Bigby says he injured ankle during test - JSOnline

So, sounds like he's out. Well.. our hopes now lie with a rookie..

Conditioning drill? Jezz is he made of glass?

This seems like an awefully strange way go about getting a long term contract. Almost sounds like he wants to get traded.

dansz15

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Personally, I was hoping Burnett took his job out of camp anyway. I think Burnett is a better Bigby, big hits and good ball skills. Very instinctual if you watch his tape.

YouFrgotPoland

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe some of us, like myself, shouldn't be so quick to jump all over Bigby. Apparently he has been being really helpful to Morgan these first couple days of practice.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe some of us, like myself, shouldn't be so quick to jump all over Bigby. Apparently he has been being really helpful to Morgan these first couple days of practice.

Agreed. In Bigby's latest interview he kind of mentioned that he's willing to lend help to anyone who asks for it. I think he was speaking about whether he would mentor Burnett during practices. All the better if you ask me.

dansz15

Cheesehead
Reaction score
what happened to starks?

My guess is still hurt from his shoulder injury that ended his senior year in Buffalo... It will be interesting to see what happens there and if he can even come back. If he is at 100% and plays like the tape shows he can we got a steal in the 6th. But honestly I think it is a big if.

PackFanNChiTown

Bear Fan's Bane
Reaction score
Let's see:

• Refused to sign tender until he realized new deal wasn't coming
  • Agent is Drew Rosenhaus
  • Signs tender then "coincidentally" suffers an injury on first day
Let's review some of Rosenhaus' other players:

After the 2004 season, Walker, backed by new agent Drew Rosenhaus, stated that he would not play for the Green Bay Packers again and would retire if he was not traded. Walker had been at odds with the organization since management refused to renegotiate his contract that had two years remaining on it after his Pro Bowl season in 2004 , when he caught 89 passes for 1,382 yards and 12 touchdowns.

"I just don't like the way the organization runs itself", Walker told ESPN.com. "They want players to come up there and play hard and work hard, but when it comes time to be compensated, it's like, 'We forgot what you've done.'"

Walker also said quarterback Brett Favre's comments on his plans to hold out for a better contract last year made living in Wisconsin difficult, and he felt it was unfair that the team let Favre interfere with Walker's squabble with management.

"There's an unwritten rule that players stick together," Walker said. Walker said he would not show up for training camp or come back at all for the final season of his contract regardless of whether Favre decided to retire or return.

He said he'll repay the Packers the prorated portion of his signing bonus to leave Green Bay. "Why should I risk another year of getting beat up playing for a team that I don't want to play for? That's stupid", Walker said.

Walker said he'll be ready for the 2006 season wherever he lands. "If I'm going to go out and take hits, it's going to be for a team that I love playing for", Walker said. "I'm not going to grandstand. I just want the Packers to give me peace of mind."

Ted Thompson released the following statement regarding the interview:

"During his time as a Green Bay Packer, Javon Walker has been well thought of by everyone here. I like Javon, certainly as a person and as a player. That said, Javon is under contract, which he signed as a 2002 first-round draft choice. That contract is governed by the Collective Bargaining Agreement, which was negotiated between the National Football League and the National Football League Players’ Association, and we expect him to honor it. There have been several highly publicized cases of player discontent in the National Football League. I don’t anticipate us making any concessions in this matter. We will continue to stay the course, and the Green Bay Packers will have no further comment on this topic."

Walker eventually backed off of his threats to hold out and reported to camp. In the first game of the 2005 season, Walker injured his ACL on a pass from Favre. The Packers placed Walker on injured reserve for the remainder of the season.
And who can forget:

Mike McKenzie got his wish Monday, seven months after asking out of Green Bay. The Packers sent the disruptive cornerback to the New Orleans Saints...

The recalcitrant cornerback sat out the last two games with a mysterious hamstring injury. He was left home when the Packers traveled to Indianapolis two weeks ago and wasn't on the sideline Sunday when the Packers lost to the New York Giants at home.

"Mission accomplished," said McKenzie's agent, Drew Rosenhaus, who had been seeking a deal since mid-May.

The deal is the Packers' first midseason trade in 23 years involving active players from both teams.

McKenzie is earning $2.75 million this year in the middle season of a five-year, $17.1 million deal. He became upset when several lesser cornerbacks surpassed him in compensation this offseason.

McKenzie instructed agent Brian Parker to seek a contract renegotiation in February, converting a $200,000 workout bonus into two $100,000 roster bonuses due in April and June and removing a de-escalator clause from the contract he signed in 2002.

As the Packers worked to comply with the request, McKenzie said he wanted to be traded instead. Green Bay denied his plea on April 6. Parker terminated his working relationship with McKenzie in May and the sixth-year cornerback hired Rosenhaus, his fifth representative in his six-year NFL career.
McKenzie's "hamstring" injury was mysteriously cleared up in time for him to start his first game in N.O...

Anyone else see a similarity?

YouFrgotPoland

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My guess is still hurt from his shoulder injury that ended his senior year in Buffalo... It will be interesting to see what happens there and if he can even come back. If he is at 100% and plays like the tape shows he can we got a steal in the 6th. But honestly I think it is a big if.

I think I remember reading something yesterday that it actually had to do with his hamstring now...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts