1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Bigby 1 of 3 people on the PUP list

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by PackisBack, Jul 31, 2010.

1. PackisBack

PackisBack Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +13
    He's on there with Al Harris (which is no surprise) and our 6th round pick James Starks (which troubles me a little, if nothing else that's one less person we have to compete for the return positions).

But Bigby being on there is surprising. This is probably the number 1 worst thing he could have done to hurt his chances of retaining the starting job. Morgan Burnett has been taking all the snaps with the number 1 defense and coaches and players have been saying how much they like them.

My question is: if Bigby is still on the PUP list come the first week of the regular season, does he ever get his job back or do we go with Morgan Burnett all the way? And if we go with Burnett, I'd put my money on the fact that Bigby is still good trade material and that we could get a decent dimeback, punter, or backup OLB or some combination of those for him. Thoughts?

2. NYPacker

NYPacker Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +38
    It certainly explains why Blackmon made the conversion to safety. It just matters now whether Burnett will earn the starting spot or Blackmon starts by default due to him being a veteran.

3. 3irty1

3irty1 Fear the Dreads!

Ratings:
    +115
    I say Burnett easily starts over Blackmon. Especially if he's getting reps in practice with the first squad. If he continues to do good in practice, then I'd say start him.

4. PackersRS

PackersRS Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +980
    I think if he's in the PUP in week one, he has to stay till week six. Then, obviously, Burnett will take the job.

5. aaronqb

aaronqb Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +73
    This is a bit troubling. It almost seems like Bigby was trying to keep something away from the Packer staff for whatever reason. He hasn't been healthy for over 2 years now and that's not good. I don't think you can bank on anything from him this year. I think you have to move forward with Burnett and hope that Bigby can get healthy sometime during the season.

When healthy, he's a good safety particularly later in the year when the fields are slower and speed isn't at such a premium.

6. NYPacker

NYPacker Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +38
    I really wouldn't throw Burnett into the fire just yet. Let's try to bring him in slowly like we did with Matthews. It certainly helps the developmental process with rookies. We may have to sacrifice some abysmal playmaking with the secondary (I highly doubt Blackmon makes much of an impact at safety) but it'll all be worth it after a stellar run to the playoffs.

7. PackersRS

PackersRS Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +980
    We didn't actually bring Matthews slowly. The coaching staff realized that he was a much better layer than Poppinga, and thus let him play. He was a better player than Poppinga by week 1...

8. NYPacker

NYPacker Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +38
    I meant rotationwise. Poppinga was the starter up til week 4 or 5 when Matthews took over full time. That's how I envision Burnett getying on the field as well.

9. Schmitty327

Schmitty327 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I think Burnett is going to be starting over Bigby. Maybe not right away but Atari is hurt quite a bit and I think once burnett gets in there he stays in there.

10. Green_Bay_Packers

Green_Bay_Packers Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +113
    Dumbass question

What in the hell is a PUP List?

11. KilrB

KilrB Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +99
    Physically Unable to Perform

12. Mr. StyleZ

Mr. StyleZ Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +376
    More news...

Greg_A_Bedard:
    Packers S Atari Bigby said he injured the ankle in the conditioning drill. It was not a problem during the off-season. He is worried.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/99699914.html

So, sounds like he's out. Well.. our hopes now lie with a rookie..

13. Green_Bay_Packers

Green_Bay_Packers Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +113
    oh I get it now lol :D

14. KilrB

KilrB Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +99
    Conditioning drill? Jezz is he made of glass?

This seems like an awefully strange way go about getting a long term contract. Almost sounds like he wants to get traded.

15. dansz15

dansz15 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +35
    Personally, I was hoping Burnett took his job out of camp anyway. I think Burnett is a better Bigby, big hits and good ball skills. Very instinctual if you watch his tape.

16. YouFrgotPoland

YouFrgotPoland Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +66
    Maybe some of us, like myself, shouldn't be so quick to jump all over Bigby. Apparently he has been being really helpful to Morgan these first couple days of practice.

17. NYPacker

NYPacker Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +38
    Agreed. In Bigby's latest interview he kind of mentioned that he's willing to lend help to anyone who asks for it. I think he was speaking about whether he would mentor Burnett during practices. All the better if you ask me.

18. G0PackG0

G0PackG0 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +86
    Bigby has always been just a fill-in in my mind. I would be glad to see him go.

19. DoubleC4

DoubleC4 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +10
    what happened to starks?

20. dansz15

dansz15 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +35
    My guess is still hurt from his shoulder injury that ended his senior year in Buffalo... It will be interesting to see what happens there and if he can even come back. If he is at 100% and plays like the tape shows he can we got a steal in the 6th. But honestly I think it is a big if.

21. PackFanNChiTown

PackFanNChiTown Bear Fan's Bane

Ratings:
    +368
    Let's see:

• Refused to sign tender until he realized new deal wasn't coming
    • Agent is Drew Rosenhaus
    • Signs tender then "coincidentally" suffers an injury on first day
    Let's review some of Rosenhaus' other players:

And who can forget:

McKenzie's "hamstring" injury was mysteriously cleared up in time for him to start his first game in N.O...

Anyone else see a similarity?

22. YouFrgotPoland

YouFrgotPoland Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +66
    I think I remember reading something yesterday that it actually had to do with his hamstring now...