Better team, bears or lions?

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the margin between the lions and bears is very close, so which one do you think is better and will take 2nd in the division?

peteralan71

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the Lions will be better this year, but the Bears will play us better. They are better suited against us and always seem to have ARods number. The Lions are flashy but I just feel that they won't be as tough for us this year as they were last year because we will see them coming a little more. Last year they were still developing into a good team and I don't think they were taken as seriously as they deserved to be.

Reaction score
The bears will be better this year. They probably would of taken second last year if it wasn't for cutler and forte getting hurt. Plus I see the lions take a slight step backwards.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lions. Bears made some offensive upgrades, the biggest of which is getting rid of Martz. But I expect their defense to take another step back. They are getting old at some key spots and I just don't think they have drafted enough talent recently. Signing FAs, like they do, is a desperate move that more often decreases your team effectiveness. Peppers phoned it in towards the end of last season. Although he plays great at times, his lack of leadership at key times will be a detriment to the team.

Lions are still missing some parts on defense and offense, but they appear poised to take the next step up in competitiveness.

I'm guessing:

Packers 13-3
Lions 10-6
Bears 8-8
Vikings 4-12

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the bears are poised to be a serious threat this year, they are getting older on defense no one can argue that. But, they made the value deal of the off season IMO with Brandon Marshall. He is the big tall jump ball guy they have been so desperately looking for and we all know Jay cutler has a big arm and can just whip it up there and pray. I think their offense is going to be very high powered and having a happy Forte is a very big deal for them as well.
As far as the D goes, as long as they have Brian Urlacher in the middle of that D I will be weary of playing them. How many times has he picked off a pass being sneaky in the red zone. Its a game changer and its what I will always remember from him. Not to mention their D line should be able to do some damage when peppers shows up.

All in all still not better than the pack. DA BEARS STILL SUCK

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the Bears messed up not addressing the Oline more than they have. They need help there and with teams like the Packers bolstering the front 7 and a nasty Lions D line I have to rate them above the Bears. Cutler isn't exactly a miracle worker back there when he see's pressure. You would think the Bears would address this knowing Cutler is pretty darn good when he has a little time and pretty damn bad when he doesn't. He has a good shot of going down again. At least they planned for that pretty well.
If your not going to put a good Oline out there having a good backup QB is pretty smart....in a Bears mind...I guess.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
I was wafflin' on this one but you make a good point warhawk.
They also face a pretty good rusher in Jared Allen in Littlesoda.

CheeseHead87

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Great topic. But I don't think that it is really that close. I think the Bears are much better. The Bears have much more experience, MUCH more composure, a more (probably most in the NFC North) balanced offense, and have proven that they are capable of something.

Everything broke right for the Lions last year. Record setting passing attack, no injuries to formerly injury-prone key players, relatively little off the field hassle....and they got killed in the first round of the playoffs. I say the Lions miss the playoffs this year. They need a new coach, and a new culture.

The Bears scare me. They are a real threat to steal the division title, IF Marshall can stay out of trouble and be productive.

CheeseHead87

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's just it. Stafford and Megatron on O. Who else? Weak O-Line, weak run game , and their other receivers are either injury-prone or they like to sucker-punch the Free Safety.

On D: Suh (when not suspended), Avril (if he doesn't hold out), Fairley (when he's not smoking pot or injured), and Delmas (a solid player).

IMO they are pretty thin.

Vltrophy

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lions. Bears made some offensive upgrades, the biggest of which is getting rid of Martz. But I expect their defense to take another step back. They are getting old at some key spots and I just don't think they have drafted enough talent recently. Signing FAs, like they do, is a desperate move that more often decreases your team effectiveness. Peppers phoned it in towards the end of last season. Although he plays great at times, his lack of leadership at key times will be a detriment to the team.

Lions are still missing some parts on defense and offense, but they appear poised to take the next step up in competitiveness.

I'm guessing:

Packers 13-3
Bears. 10-6
Lions. 9-7
Vikings 4-12
Those are pretty good guesses. Definitely looking forward to the Lion vs 49er rematch this yr. possibly a better handshake (lol).
Packers 14-2
Lions 10-6
Bears. 9-7
Vikings. 4-12

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
What it comes down to for me is CB. Both have soft spots on the OL, both have a good QB, one star WR, (if the Lions can stay healthy) both have good run, both good on the line, but the Bears have the better CB's (not by much)

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
Lions are going to start rough and end rough but have a great middle.

Bears are going to going to get the ball rolling and constantly getting stopped and about midseason I think'll they'll be like Favre with the Vikings in his last year, steady declining to decay. I really think the Bears are either lucky or are paper champs. I don't see Lovie motivating the team the whole year for some reason.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
New GM and same coach never last. GMs like to bring in their own guys. Lovie won't make it 2 years.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the margin between the lions and bears is very close, so which one do you think is better and will take 2nd in the division?
Dead even.
Will depend on health of key players IMO.
Both teams are capable of going 12-4, or 6-10 if their QB goes down.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
+s]Both the Bears and Lions have had the sword of Damocles come down on them when their starting QB gets punched out for the year. They have each tasted this over the last 4 seasons. Which team can keep their QB standing this year will have a lot to do with how they finish.
The Bears have had the better D over the years but they are not so young any more. Lions need Best to give them some balance and the Bears have some help to back up Forte. Look for Mike Tice to shift the offense to be more like the Vikings during the Culpepper years. The Lions have to cut down on the silly penalties. The Bears still have the better special teams. They could just finish with the same record and be 1-1 head to head.
After we play teams like the 9ers, Giants, and Saints we cannot let down when we play these divisional foes.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly, I fear the Lions more than the Bears. The Lions have the better offense, hands down. On paper, the Bears have the better defense AND they match up well against the Packers, but they are getting old.

It strikes me as very likely that at least one of Urlacher, Briggs, or Peppers will get injured or hit the wall. Peppers would be the least likely to implode, just because of how athletic he is. However, Peppers is the most likely to give up if things get too tough or get too far behind in the standings.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
I'm not sure. But, I do feel this offseason the Bears are incredibly hyped up. Many I know are calling them a SB contender and going nuts over their offseason moves.

And yeah, Lovie Smith will always be overrated to me.

JTheGreat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the bears will shock the nfc this year... Lions are a great team, but too young with too many mental mistakes, both teams could make playoffs though.

Vltrophy

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bears have made some good moves but their WR core isn't that great. Knox will probably be on the pup list. Marshall & Cutler couldn't get along in Denver. Had the Lions not had these off season troubles I'd say Lions but I'll say da cubs I mean Da Bears but only by 1 game.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
The Bears are a more mature team but they have questions on their OL. Yes, getting rid of Martz will help - they won't relentlessly expose Cutler to 7-step drops but they need more talent on their OL. The following players on defense are over 30 years old: Urlacher, Briggs, Peppers, Tillman, and Idonije (although he will probably be surpassed by Shea McClellin). Their secondary also needs help IMO. The Lions should be on the upswing talent-wise but teams need more than talent to win consistently. If the Bears stay healthy I think they finish just ahead of the Lions.

TeamTundra

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO both teams failed to address their primary weakness - the Bears' offensive line and the
Lions' CBs. The Lions just cut Aaron Berry whom was slated to start for them at CB. They
also didn't resign Eric Wright, he left for Tampa Bay, and he was probably their best corner
last year. If we use 3 and 4 WR sets against them, they may have two or three rookie or
inexperienced CBs on the field. Just look at the last two games of their season last year.
Matt Flynn and Drew Brees torched them.

I also think the Bears made a big mistake by not signing or trading for veteran offensive
linemen. I don't care how many new WRs are brought in, Cutler definitely gets rattled
when he is hit and the Packers, Vikings and Lions all have decent pass rushers.

With that said I see both teams at around 9-7 and fighting for a wild card spot.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO both teams failed to address their primary weakness - the Bears' offensive line and the
Lions' CBs. The Lions just cut Aaron Berry whom was slated to start for them at CB. They
also didn't resign Eric Wright, he left for Tampa Bay, and he was probably their best corner
last year. If we use 3 and 4 WR sets against them, they may have two or three rookie or
inexperienced CBs on the field. Just look at the last two games of their season last year.
Matt Flynn and Drew Brees torched them.

I also think the Bears made a big mistake by not signing or trading for veteran offensive
linemen. I don't care how many new WRs are brought in, Cutler definitely gets rattled
when he is hit and the Packers, Vikings and Lions all have decent pass rushers.

With that said I see both teams at around 9-7 and fighting for a wild card spot.

Great points!

Members online

Latest posts