Best WR trio Favre's ever had?

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's a serious question. I think Sterling Sharpe was the best WR Favre ever had to throw to. However, for a WR trio, I think we have the best Favre's ever had.

Driver is an excellent possession receiver. He fights tooth and nail for every YAC as well. Driver, Kampman, and Favre have some of the biggest hearts in the NFL.

I always saw Jennings as the guy who can take a short slant and turn it into a TD. Now, I also see him as our deep threat. One play in overtime. We all know what I'm talking about. Plus, he had the guy BURNED against the Skins the game before that. BURNED! It's a shame Favre missed him both times.

JJ may be the best #3 WR in the NFL. He's good enough to be #2 on the majority of teams. He's an excellent possession receiver who fights for the ball. I like this kid a lot, and he reminds me of a young Sterling Sharpe.

Have we ever had a 1-2-3 WR punch this good? If so, I don't remember.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good timing. I was just about to start my own thread about the receivers, based on stats. One thing that stands out is how even they are in total yardage. Driver has 440, Jones has 400, and Jennings has 369.

Yards per catch is also interesting. Jennings is second in the league with 18.5, just one tenth of a yard behind Andre Davis. James Jones is at 15.4, which is pretty impressive for a guy who is regarded as a "slow" possession receiver. Driver is at 11.3, a bit lower than he ought to be, but he has been double-teamed all year. Things will open up for him if Jennings and Jones keep up the good work.

I'm not sure if this is the best trio Favre has had, but they are definitely the most balanced. Driver-Walker-Ferguson was a good trio, but there was a big dropoff from the starters to Fergie. Brooks and Freeman were a very good starting duo in 1997, but I don't even remember who was #3 that year. I like how our current three are all solid and fairly interchangeable.

brennan1884

Cheesehead
Reaction score
good stuff, plus we got koren coming back.... i know i have been hyping this alot but i think koren could be a big time poss. receiver, i mean this offense is loaded with weapons, lol who would have said that before the season opened.

u gotta love this game

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Freeman, Mayes and Rison.

Had Robert Brooks stayed healthy then that would be even easier to answer.

Add Keith Jackson and Mark Churmarha to that trio and by far that's the best talent Favre has had around him. Though the trio we're watching has a ton of potential. If they can peak, it could be something special.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
my memory is foggy, but I'm fairly sure #1 and #4 were together at the same time...

1) free, rison, brooks
2) fergy, walker, driver (say what you will but ferg was solid that year)
3) 2007 (very close 3rd)
4) free, schroeder, beebe

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
my memory is foggy, but I'm fairly sure #1 and #4 were together at the same time...

1) free, rison, brooks
3) 2007 (very close 3rd)

#1 and #4 never happened. Rison only played at the very end of the '96 season, when Brooks was on IR. Brooks came back the next year, but Rison did not. And Beebe was long gone by the time Schroeder came along.

I agree that your #2 may be better than the current group, though.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
Freeman, Mayes and Rison.

Had Robert Brooks stayed healthy then that would be even easier to answer.

Add Keith Jackson and Mark Churmarha to that trio and by far that's the best talent Favre has had around him. Though the trio we're watching has a ton of potential. If they can peak, it could be something special.

I think this group could prove to be the best, but they're still a long way from those listed above. Jackson, Chumura and Brooks were special. Let's see this guys win a superbowl then we can put them in that upper echelon. The high end for these guys might just be really high though.

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's a difficult question. The best DUO has to be Driver and Walker. Best reciever has to be Sharpe. Best trio I'm gonna go with this year 2007.

Driver is Driver of course. Teams are keying in on him quite a bit which is opening plays for others. The thing is those others as in Jennings and Jones are taking full advantage. Jennings is turning into a big playmaking star. He's got such talent. Jones is not the average rookie, either. He's making big plays and moving the chains. Great hands. I think this is Favre's best trio of WR.

TheKanataThrilla

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This group is really good considering the opposition teams don't have to focus on the TE for many catches over the middle. I think Chmura really helped out some of the 90's Pack WR's as he was such a great outlet for Brett and the opponent's defence really had to give him respect.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:

1) free, rison, brooks
3) 2007 (very close 3rd)

#1 and #4 never happened. Rison only played at the very end of the '96 season, when Brooks was on IR. Brooks came back the next year, but Rison did not. And Beebe was long gone by the time Schroeder came along.

I agree that your #2 may be better than the current group, though.

Thanks for the clarification. As I mentioned, some of those years blend together.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
digsthepack said:
That championship had very little to do with Derrick Mayes.

oh cmon his like 4 catches that year were TREMENDOUS!! lol

edit, lol he had SIX catches and TWO TD's!! w00t
(And a long of 12 yards!!!)LOLOL!!! :lol:
I think this trio may turn out to be the best for Favre. But it's too early to say for certain. If they all can remain HEALTHY and on the field, they may break alot of records. And now throw Koren Robinson into the mix.....it's gotta make Brett DROOL! (I know it does to me!)

LambeauEast

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've said it before and I'm saying it again. Although people don't give Ru-Mart (sorry, just seems the thing to do, shortening names like that) all that much credit, when his number has been called, he has answered said call.

Throw in K-Rob (there I go again), and IMHO, Driver, Jennings, Jones, Robinson and Martin is the best 1-5, pound for pound in the league!

Back to the topic subject though, 2007...DD, GJ and JJ. IMHO, of course.

BryanAschenbrenner

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with you Lambeau about ruvell, I've really liked him since he started with us last year. Plus he looks like Kobe Bryant, who's cash on everything, minus the ****** dispute and whiner issues.

billv

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How about Freeman, Beebe and Brooks?

But I think this year's group has the potential to be even better.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've said it before and I'm saying it again. Although people don't give Ru-Mart (sorry, just seems the thing to do, shortening names like that) all that much credit, when his number has been called, he has answered said call.

Throw in K-Rob (there I go again), and IMHO, Driver, Jennings, Jones, Robinson and Martin is the best 1-5, pound for pound in the league!

Back to the topic subject though, 2007...DD, GJ and JJ. IMHO, of course.

They call him the Rooster, and yes, he's done a nice job for us. Not many catches, but most of them have been big plays, and I think all of them have been for first downs.

I think Freeman, Brooks, and Beebe were only together for a few games, before Brooks got injured around week six of the 1996 season. Beebe did return in 1997, but he only had two catches.

billv

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In the Super Bowl year, Beebe did do some nice things for us especially in that Monday Night game.

So it could be Freeman, Beebe and Brooks/Rison.

Staff online

Latest posts