Best player or Need ?

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If I was making the picks the closer to the beginning or end of the draft, the more closely I'd adhere to the best player available philosophy. So in first and 7th rounds I'd akways take best value because first should be best chance to get an impact player and. o matter what position an impact player pays it's gonna help your team. With one exception if I'm TT and qb is best value I don't take him until Rodgers is 37/38 years old. then in the 7th you are least likely to find,an impact player so take whoever you think is best because he's got best chance of developing into an impact player. I do think all this talk of TT can't take a running back in first or a receiver because of other needs seems short sighted

D

Deleted member 6794

There's hardly a single best player available once the Packers are on the clock but most of the time several prospects remain within the top tier. In those cases it's pretty obvious positions of need factor into a selection.

Thompson selecting Rodgers in the first round of 2005 was a rare exception of a true BPA pick.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
There's hardly a single best player available once the Packers are on the clock but most of the time several prospects remain within the top tier. In those cases it's pretty obvious positions of need factor into a selection.

Thompson selecting Rodgers in the first round of 2005 was a rare exception of a true BPA pick.
Yes, provided you know what his board looks like and aren't going by what the draft gurus say.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is the rare year where Green Bay has enough holes to fill that drafting the best available should be relatively easy.

IMHO, the four biggest areas of need are (in no particular order):

Running back

Guard

Edge rusher

Cornerback

Odds are pretty good that a player that addresses one of those needs and is worthy of the label best Player Available will be still around at #29.

D

Deleted member 6794

This is the rare year where Green Bay has enough holes to fill that drafting the best available should be relatively easy.

IMHO, the four biggest areas of need are (in no particular order):

Running back

Guard

Edge rusher

Cornerback

Odds are pretty good that a player that addresses one of those needs and is worthy of the label best Player Available will be still around at #29.

I don't expect Thompson to draft a running back or guard in the first round though as he rightfully doesn't value those positions enough.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm hoping he trades back to the 30's unless one of his very highly rated players has dropped into his lap.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pass Rusher (Edge or DL)

Cornerback

Offensive Line

Running Back

That's my order of need but not necessarily the order of how things should or will be addressed in the Draft. If Dalvin Cook or Joe Mixon is there and we pass on them I just might put out a hit on TT.

Based on my own analysis, (and I'll reanalyze if someone takes me to task) 10 or less legitimate front 7 guys who are guaranteed 1st Round picks. If we reach for a 2nd Round guy, we give up potential gained talent at another position later.

This is a deep CB class we know, but some of these guys are starting outside CBs and some are starting Nickel CBs. Know the difference. Obviously the longer we wait, there may be some good guys there, but the eventual Pro Bowlers may be gone. TT has to grow a pair and get after who he wants 2nd Round. I feel if CB comes in the 3rd Round it's probably either a reach or a guy who will need 2-3 years to develop.

Offensive Line is a position of concern, but this isn't a deep class, so it's all about value. This pick scares the hell out of me because I honestly believe TT will address this when there are impact defensive players still on the board.

With the exception of Cook/Mixon, I'm more for seeing what Monty can do with a full season. This is another 3rd Day prospect who hopefully can be a guy who lasts for at least 2-3 years before getting cut.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Almost every pick that happens in the draft is a combination of the two.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts