Best NFL Touchdown Rituals/Celebrations

jnells

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I found a fun/interesting article on ESPN that counted down the Top Ten TD Celebrations by team.

The Vikings beat us with their fog horn thing at #5 (at least that's the only thing they'll be beating us at in the near future :D)

7. The Lambeau Leap
Lambeau Field
Green Bay Packers

This well-known tradition is symbolic of the close relationship that exists between Packers players and the men and women who not only fill the Lambeau stands, but own the team. It is a fan and player tradition in one.

For Green Bay players, the practice of vaulting into the crowd after scoring plays began on a sub-zero degree day (would you expect anything less?) in December 1993, when team icon Reggie White scooped up a Los Angeles Raiders fumble and lateraled to LeRoy Butler, who scampered into the end zone … and out of the end zone … then hurled himself into the stands.

Who could blame Butler for being excited? The touchdown helped clinch the Packers' first playoff berth since 1982.

On the eve of his induction into the Packers Hall of Fame this past July, Butler recalled in a hometown newspaper interview what was going through his mind when he took that very first leap of faith

"It was totally spontaneous. I'd just scored a touchdown … and just did it," Butler told the Florida Times Union. "People didn't know how to react.

"It was just a way to thank the fans that were stuck in the cheap seats. I wasn't trying to show anybody up. I just wanted to show my appreciation to fans sitting in that cold weather. It grew from there."

Indeed it did. And the cheeseheads in Green Bay are certainly grateful for it.

http://sports.espn.go.com/travel/news/story?id=3139628

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Best celebration was the one I saw by Barry Sanders EVERYTIME he scored.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Green_Bay_Packers said:
What is the Viking Foghorn?

Every time they get a first down or big play, the horn goes off. If you notice it(which you didnt luckily), it will drive you absolutely insane.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Green_Bay_Packers said:

Every time they get a first down or big play, the horn goes off. If you notice it(which you didnt luckily), it will drive you absolutely insane.

Or sometimes, during extra boring games (aka every Vikes game) they'll sound that stupid BURR-DURRR for the grossly overpaid offensive line managing to prevent a sack on a passing down.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pack_in_black said:
Green_Bay_Packers said:

Or sometimes, during extra boring games (aka every Vikes game) they'll sound that stupid BURR-DURRR for the grossly overpaid offensive line managing to prevent a sack on a passing down.

You got to cut the Vikes some slack. All that history, no titles. Let them celebrate something.

MassPackersFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ugh that horn... combined with Culpepper it was horrible. Dante scrambles 5 yards for a first down, gets up and signals false start. Someone farts into a mic in the endzone. Vikings football at its best, that was.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
i'm just upset that the stupid foghorn got rated better than the leap..

Read the article before the so called "rankings"

HE SAYS

IN NO PATICULAR ORDER

Timmons

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ugh that horn... combined with Culpepper it was horrible. Dante scrambles 5 yards for a first down, gets up and signals false start. Someone farts into a mic in the endzone. Vikings football at its best, that was.

THis is the greatest post ever! Thank you.. I'm in tears from laughing.

I hate that freakin' horn.

showgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The foghorn doesn't even belong on the list. It has nothing to do with the players. It lacks creativity. It's just a lame gag from a low-rent organization.

wpr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was watching the game yesterday and several times CBS broke away from the game to show the scoring highlites for other games around the NFL.
I think there were 3 times that players on other teams tried to do their version of a "Lambeau Leap" in their park. One of the guys had to be drug up the stadium wall by the fans because the wall was about 10 feet high.
Imitation is the highest form of flattery.
It just proves that The Leap is one of the greatest TD celebrations around.

Members online

Latest posts