Best NFL game?

CarolinaPackerFan

Packers fan in Panthers country
Reaction score
After watching game 6 of the World Series last night, I started wondering if it was the greatest sports game I had ever witnessed. I automatically started thinking about the Packers Super Bowls or other Super Bowls and the only game I could think of that had the same feel of greatness was Giants-Pats in Super Bowl XLII. Granted, I am only 20 years old so I wasn't alive to see some of the older games, but I wondering what other games you guys have witnessed and what you believe to be the greatest NFL game you have ever watched?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
96 SB..I wasnt alive for the 1st two "Super Bowls" so for that was awesome...

The Bills vs the Oilers in the playoffs..Bills came back and won after being down by 32 points

cheesehurdler

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Ice Bowl. I didn't "watch" it, but I watched documentaries on it.

Two teams going back and forth, momentum of teams changed on a dime, it was for the whole shebang (Packers' threepeat depended on this game), it was atmospheric, cold as hell, had two of the best coaches in the NFL going against each other (Vince Lombardi on GB's side and Tom Landry on DAL's side), and it came down to the very last play. I've yet to see a game that was as amazing to watch as that game. The "Comeback" game between the Bills and the Oilers and "The Greatest Game Ever Played" are also favorites of mine.

For games I actually watched, I think Super Bowl XLII was the best NFL game I ever watched, mostly because of the context of it (an undefeated team going against a wild card team who nobody expected to make it to the SB). Super Bowl XLIII is a close second.

greenandgold

I'm Dirty Hairy Callahan
Reaction score
Well for Superbowls it's hard to beat last year's. Nothing like the win being in doubt with only seconds left. The only other one I remember as good was possibly the Giants/Patriots Superbowl.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
Best Super Bowl I ever seen had to be the Bills and Giants in 1990. Buffalo should have won, but man it was very very close, back and forth the entire time. Nobody guessed the Giants would still be playing strong without Phil Simms starting, but Buffalo should have won this game. The 49ers lost Montana playing those guys in the NFC Championship and they only lost on a fumble in the last seconds that resulted in a field goal. Buffalo lost by a missed fieldgoal.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Ice Bowl. I didn't "watch" it, but I watched documentaries on it.

Thats because John Facenda could make anything sound thrilling. I could listen to him talk about the proper way to cut a thanksgiving turkey and think it was the most thrilling thing ever. Not to say the game wasnt amazing, but Sabol and Facenda should get alot of credit for those films

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
best college game was usc vs texas imo.

I was at the Pats Giants game and to be honest it was a pretty boring game. I actually thought their week 17 game was more exciting.

I'll take the 82 game at candlestick. The catch. legendary. Ghost to the post game was pretty amazing too. That rams titans SB left me on the edge of my seat.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
I know they say that the 1958 Championship game was the greatest ever, but I didn't see that one so it really wouldn't count. I would say Joe Namath's prediction game was pretty awesome and the 1982 "catch" championship. Between the two I'd take the Niners/Cowboys game over the Jets one. But if you knew how dominant and awe inspiring the Colts were at one time, you'd understand why Namath and his Jets whooping them was incredible.

greenandgold

I'm Dirty Hairy Callahan
Reaction score
Thats because John Facenda could make anything sound thrilling. I could listen to him talk about the proper way to cut a thanksgiving turkey and think it was the most thrilling thing ever. Not to say the game wasnt amazing, but Sabol and Facenda should get alot of credit for those films

I was just a wee little greenandgold whwn I watched it but was Facenda announcing the game or something?

D

Dan115

I taped the Ice Bowl on my reel to reel recorder off the radio broadcast. I had no idea it would be such a great game.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The greatest game I've ever seen was a soccer game that my team played. Grêmio x Nautico.

The competition wasn't big, it was the finals of the Serie B of the national championship (division 2). It had a lot at stake though, lose and the team doesn't go back to the serie A, and with tons of debt, the team was in jeopardy of ceasing to exist.

It was an away game, in a very loud crowd, with a very dirty organization. They had just painted the lockerroom (!) before the game and sealed all ventilations, so the paint smell would stay. There was no hot water and no bathtubs, all broken.

The game went with parity in the first half, 0-0 till the referee marked a non-hesistant penalty. Fortunately, the Nautico player missed the shot (penalty in soccer is regarded as a can't miss, something like a 30 yard field goal).

They returned to the second half playing a very close game, with no big opportunities to score, and the draw would promote Grêmio. However, at the 71', a Grêmio player was ejected, and the game got even thougher.

It was closing to a draw till the 82' minute, when the ref once again marked a non-hesistant penatly favoring the home team. The Grêmio players went nuts, and started charging towards the ref. The coach got on the field, it was a mess, and after 25 minutes of paralization, 3 Grêmio players were ejected. It was 11 players against 7, at the 103' minute (the game usually ends at 90, and this game would end at 115'), and the opposing team had yet another penalty to kick.

What happened was that Grêmio's goalkeeper saved the penalty. Nautico had missed his second penalty of the game.

There were still roughly 15 minutes to play, and they had a 4 man advantage.

After a lot of missed goal opportunities, Grêmio started a counterattack, that was paralized with a faul, and the Nautico player was ejected. It was 10x4 now.

But the Grêmio players were able to take Nautico by surprised. The faul was quickly taken, and Grêmio's last remaining offensive player was able to enter the adversary's area and score at the 108' minute.

The most improbable game of all time would end at 115'. The miracle had happened. Grêmio would emerge victorious and come back to Serie A, in a game that, for 30 minutes, they played with -1, and for 15 mintes, played with -4. A game where the opposing team had 2 opportunities to convert a penalty kick, yet failed.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

After all that, I re-read the thread and it says best NFL game... Well, I'd have to go with the Music City Miracle. Craziest, most exciting game I've ever seen.

neilfii

Hall of Fame Fan
Reaction score
The greatest game I have ever watched, hands-down, bar-none, was the 1980 "Miracle on Ice" when we beat Soviet Russia; and this is from a die-hard Packer fan.

gwh11

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd vote for the 1981 AFC Divisional between the Chargers and Dolphins. Unbelievable, super-hard fought back & forth game. And it features one of the gutsiest, greatest individual performances you'll ever see on an NFL field, courtesy of Kellen Winslow.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
Lots of great games. Yes that World Series game last night was epic.

For me on a personal note it's the Colts over Pats in the 2006 AFC title game. Down 21-3 we looked like we were done for. I never expected a comeback like that even though before that season started I picked it to be our year finally. My heart almost jumped out of my chest at times in the 4th quarter. From what I heard from Colts fans there grown men were crying when the game was over and a few Pats fans there were making hotel reservations in Miami for the SB af halftime.

Giants/Pats SB was pretty amazing. When Eli got the ball back after the Pats took the lead I said to my father, "They left too much time for the Giants."

Have to admit, the Cards/Steelers SB was pretty great too. I really thought the Cards were going to pull it out there for a while. Big Ben did have a helluva drive there in the end.

And a shout out to the 1995 Colts postseason. Jim Harbaugh nearly led the Colts to a SB with a scrappy team who had nothing but guts and some luck on the side. So close. So close......

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The greatest game I have ever watched, hands-down, bar-none, was the 1980 "Miracle on Ice" when we beat Soviet Russia; and this is from a die-hard Packer fan.
Wait.
Die hard Packer fans usually pull for the Russians?

Well, I usually root on Luxembourg but more recently it's for the Jamaican bobsled team.

thepackers1fan4

Pack attack 4 ever!
Reaction score
After watching game 6 of the World Series last night, I started wondering if it was the greatest sports game I had ever witnessed. I automatically started thinking about the Packers Super Bowls or other Super Bowls and the only game I could think of that had the same feel of greatness was Giants-Pats in Super Bowl XLII. Granted, I am only 20 years old so I wasn't alive to see some of the older games, but I wondering what other games you guys have witnessed and what you believe to be the greatest NFL game you have ever watched?

The best/exciting game I have ever seen would have to be the 2007 Packers vs Broncos game when it went into overtime 13-13 and Brett Favre came out and threw one pass to Greg Jennings and won the game.

Reaction score
Does anyone remember the Cardinals/Packers game in '09? That was the most thrilling NFL game. Maybe not for us Packers fans, but thrilling nonetheless.

VersusTheMoose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The greatest single game I have ever watched was USC vs Texas in the title game in '05. The next best would either be the Pats/Giants SB or the Colts/Pats playoff game where Manning finally got over the hump and lead a comeback in the 2nd half.

Reaction score
Good games I can remember seeing:
Packers vs Broncos SB 32
Packers vs 49ers (The catch 2)
Packers vs Steelers from 09
Packers vs Saints from '11
Packers vs Seahawks 03 playoffs
Packers vs Cardinals from 09
Panthers vs Patriots superbowl was a good one
Steelers vs Cardinals was pretty good
Colts vs Patriots (when peyton made that huge comeback)
Rams vs Titans
idk, I'm probably forgettin' some, but those were some pretty good games (entertainment wise/ I hate losing)

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score

And it wasn't even for the Gold medal! It was to play the gold medal game. Many youngsters don't understand he significance of that game. But if you were around then it was bigger than the Super Bowl. It brought every American to the TV, and it wasn't even shown live. It was a tape delay.

Best NFL game Rams - Titans Super Bowl. Just hard to leave to pee.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts