Ben Tate (NOT Golden tate)

TheGiftedApe

TheGiftedApe
Reaction score
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfBkonPBFGY"]YouTube - Ben Tate Highlights - Auburn Football[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPUd0fHbTIw&feature=related"]YouTube - Ben Tate highlights Auburn vs LSU[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tK-ttHGJRU&feature=related"]YouTube - Ben Tate hits Eric Berry[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CbWMzJQSks&feature=related"]YouTube - Ben Tate[/ame]

"Tate is a hard-nosed runner that does not spend much time dancing around in the backfield. He likes to stick his foot in the ground and hit the hole at the first sign of a running lane opening up. He is a downhill runner that will veer off course as he gets through the hole but is not going to make a lot of people miss once he gets through the hole unless he can just outrun them. He had been considered a bit of an underachiever in the past but came through with a big senior season to raise his status going into this draft."

"Tate possesses a nice combination of size and speed at the running back position. Is a competitive back who will deliver blows to defenders. Shows good burst through the hole and usually doesn’t waste time in the backfield. He has some impressive initial quickness. Is a downhill runner."

I like this guy a lot, I think he's a good combination of Power and Agility, with some good top end speed. I would like to give him a shot. he's falling to the 3rd sometimes 4-5th rounds so He's not somebody we would have to reach for. he put up 1,362 yard and 10 td's in a 2back system in the SEC.

NOTE: I'm also saying we need to get rid of ryan grant, trade him for a draft pick etc.. While ben tate might not be the elusive RB(very raw in the pass game, but shows decent hands) that we need, he is a more interesting prospect than ryan grant or brandon jackson. I wouldnt be opposed to drafting Tate in the third and trading grant for a 2nd or 3rd rounder and picking up a more elusive back to pair with tate.

ran a 4.43 at the combine
26 bench reps(tied for 1st)
40.5 Vertical (2nd)
10'4 broad (1st)
top 5 in cone drill and shuttle as well.
combine freak, who showed some immaturity before his senior year, but I think much of this was due to the overall ineptitude of the auburn offense, and him not getting too many touches. Other than CJ Spiller, this would be the guy I would draft at RB, 5'11, 220, scouts saying he can go up to 225, 230.

Ghost of Billy Mays

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Looks good to me, but I'm no scout. Some of those runs reminds me of a former heisman RB from Auburn. My question would be how is he in blitz pick-up? How are his hands out of the back field? Combine numbers are meaningless IMO, but he looks like he can ball. I would be happy grabbing him in the 3rd or 4th, assuming he's still around.

OP
OP
TheGiftedApe

TheGiftedApe

TheGiftedApe
Reaction score
From what I've seen(dont watch a lot of auburn football) He's a good blocker, and they rna a lot of screen too him a couple of dump offs, never saw him drop the ball. one scout call him a "willing and able blocker"

profile_removed

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As an Auburn Tigers fan I've watched Ben Tate a LOT over the last couple years. He's a cocky kid, but he can mostly back it up. He was the guy who went out and said that he was the best running back in Alabama (Heisman went to Bama's Mark Ingram 6 weeks later). I don't know that he's raw in the passing game...to me that's a physical flaw. The flaw was in the Auburn offensive not giving him a chance to catch it out of the backfield. They were always throwing to McCaleb or Fannin.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think getting read of Grant is a smart move, though.

But I see Hardesty, Tate and Matthews very close to one another. The same type of back as Ryan Grant.

I think we need an elusive back, or a monster like that white RB.

But no a one-cut back...

OP
OP
TheGiftedApe

TheGiftedApe

TheGiftedApe
Reaction score
Yeah it's just my opinions, Ryan grant is a north south, hardnosed runner, except he doesnt run hard, and he can't catch the ball out of the backfield. While I agree we need a change of pace back, we dont have a Regular pace back yet in my opinion.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah it's just my opinions, Ryan grant is a north south, hardnosed runner, except he doesnt run hard, and he can't catch the ball out of the backfield. While I agree we need a change of pace back, we dont have a Regular pace back yet in my opinion.

Brandon Jackson to me is a regular chase back. Either way Green Bay is in need for a change-of-pace back too and there are two really good ones in this draft.

Members online

Latest posts