Ben McAdoo promoted from tight ends to quarterbacks coach

Travis Duncan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ben McAdoo is now the quarterbacks coach of the Green Bay Packers, a move which should be officially announced soon and is being reported by the NFL Network.

McAdoo served this past season as the tight ends coach and completed his sixth season on the job.

Once offensive coordinator Joe Philbin left to take the head coaching job with the Miami Dolphins, quarterbacks coach Tom Clements was promoted to Packers offensive coordinator and thus we have McAdoo moving into Clements spot. When McAdoo was hired as the tight ends coach in 2005, he replaced Philbin who had been promoted to offensive coordinator at that time.

As ESPN's NFL Nation Blog points out, Aaron Rodgers may have had a different idea in mind for his next position coach.

He said on his weekly radio show:

"I think that's an interesting conversation I hope I'm in the loop for, because going into my eighth season it'll be interesting to see what direction [McCarthy] wants to go in -- if he wants to bring in a former quarterback with experience to kind of help me with my transition into the middle part of my career being more of an established player in the league now. I'm not sure what the dynamic would be with a coach who hasn't coached the position before, but Ben is a very talented coach and if they do make that decision I'm sure he'll make a very smooth transition."

McAdoo has been with Mike McCarthy ever since the head coach was the offensive coordinator in San Francisco and also with him in New Orleans as a quality control coach.

The Packers actually blocked the Tampa Bay Bucs from interviewing McAdoo about its offensive coordinator position, in accordance with NFL tampering rules which allow such a maneuver for assistants under contract who are not interviewing for a head coaching job.

McAdoo's agent, Bob LaMonte, told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel "If you believe in that model, you know that Ben will do a great job..I consider the mold to be Andy Reid and Mike Sherman and Pat Shurmur, guys who were tight ends coaches who moved up. Ben McAdoo is very similar to them."

Rookie tight end D.J. Williams told the Sentinel "He’s extremely intelligent. He does a great job coaching specific players. And when it comes to Xs and Os, he’s know his playbook like the back of his hand."

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts