Beau Allen- Coulda Shoulda

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I note that quite a few us thought TT should pick up Beau Allen in the mid to late rounds. Unfortunately it just wasn't to be and Philly picked him up in round 7. Now Mr. Allen has been tearing it up in camp and in the preseason, here are some takeways from various press reports:

“I thought Beau Allen was a disruptive force out there,” he said.(Coach Kelly)

The seventh-round pick out of Wisconsin has been drawing praise during training camp and made his presence felt in the second quarter. Lined up at nose tackle, he used his strength to shove the center back into the quarterback’s face. Combined with an outside rush from Vinny Curry, the Eagles’ defense nearly forced a fumble, but the official ruled that Jordan Palmer’s arm was moving forward.

7. Let’s talk Allen. This kid shouldn’t just make the team, he should play. He’s a beast. He’s strong, tough, quick, physical. Every time I watch him, he’s blowing somebody up. Davis has to find a role for him. -Rueben Frank

* Beau Allen rotated in at nose tackle with the first team. Good effort getting to the ball on a 3-yard Blount run in the first. It appeared that Allen didn't control the gap to his left on a 7-yard run. Bennie Logan started. He was not credited with any tackles, hurries or sacks.

That last blurb wasn't too impressive but it sounds like he was least solid with the exception of one bad play. Hindsight may be 20/20 but I do wish we had Allen.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Many of us really wanted Allen late in the draft, and had he been there at 236 maybe TT would've taken him instead of Janis. I don't think TT has ever drafted a kid from Wisconsin and he broke that streak by taking Abby with pick #176, so the chances of him taking 2 would've been astronomical.

TT had already drafted a DL in Khyri Thornton at #85, so another DL would've been a little overkill. Also, Demetri Goodson (CB) is said to have had similar combine #'s to Hayward, so was a decent gamble taking Goodson with #197 instead of another DL. Allen would've been nice to have, now, but 20/20 hindsight... :(

I

I_am_smoked_cheddar

TT does not pick the players to be drafted. Coach McCarthy and his staff do. They do fairly well , but it must be a stone cold b!)(& to get TT to hire a free agent. It must have been quite a scene to get him to chizzle open his wallet for J.Peppers.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT does not pick the players to be drafted. Coach McCarthy and his staff do.

You're going to have to cite a source on that one, because as far as I know, that is the exact opposite of how we working Green Bay. Going so far to say that TT was brought in specifically to do "GM stuff" and take those responsibilities OFF of Sherman's plate.

My understanding on the roster is that while TT won't force a player on MM that MM hates, TT is in charge of the roster. Certain coaches consult and help grade position groups (MM would be involved with quarterbacks, for example), but it is and has always been TT's final call.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Thompson obviously is in charge of all football operations. He hired and can fire McCarthy. His background is in scouting and he continues to scout as much or more than most other GMs. He obviously controls the draft. Any Packers fan who claims otherwise is either completely blinded by an anti-Thompson agenda or ignorant of the team for which he purports to root.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anyone know how Louis Nix is doing? Just curious. Was a little irked when he was still available in the 3rd and we didn't make a move. Don't trust him to stay healthy, but too big a steal in the 3rd to ignore.

I

I_am_smoked_cheddar

Beau Allen is listed as 3rd NT on the Eagles depth chart. They have 4 NT's listed . He may still be available with the final cuts . :tup:
If however they can't wake TT from his ***** , then the question is moot . :coffee:

Luca

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anyone know how Louis Nix is doing? Just curious. Was a little irked when he was still available in the 3rd and we didn't make a move. Don't trust him to stay healthy, but too big a steal in the 3rd to ignore.

He started on PUP. Therefore he has only played one game and 12 snaps.

PFF grades him pretty good on this snaps, especially versus the run (+1,5, for what it is worth, since the sample size is too small to say something meaningfull).

OP
OP
E

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Beau Allen is listed as 3rd NT on the Eagles depth chart. They have 4 NT's listed . He may still be available with the final cuts . :tup:
If however they can't wake TT from his ***** , then the question is moot . :coffee:

If he's getting snaps against opposing starters odds are he's already moved up that depth chart.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would be shocked to hear that any team has ever traded for a low round pick his rookie season. What's done is done. It's on the coaches now to make the best out of what they have, good or bad.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Louis Nix III fell because of injuries. I liked his talent, but I didn't mind not taking him. I wanted to prioritize health this year, which TT did to a large extent. I think that is going to be something TT does in the future.

I didn't want Beau Allen early, but when he fall all the way to the end of the 3rd day I was pretty surprised we didn't take him. It doesn't really matter that we already took a DL when you're talking the 6th and 7th round. It was pretty clear Allen took a huge step when Wisconsin switched over to the 3-4. If he gets cut we have to grab him. Heck, maybe we should try to trade for him.
How do you even know he was on Thompson's draft board? Maybe he thought Pennel was a better prospect than Allen.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT does not pick the players to be drafted. Coach McCarthy and his staff do. They do fairly well , but it must be a stone cold b!)(& to get TT to hire a free agent. It must have been quite a scene to get him to chizzle open his wallet for J.Peppers.
Coaches don't pick the players. All draft choices are made by the custodial staff.

(The first liar never has a chance)

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm confused. When did I say Louis Nix III was on TT's draft board?
I was referring to Beau Allen. Why would Thompson feel he has to get him if they thought Pennel was a better NT prospect than Allen?

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Come on man!
You said if Allen gets cut, we have to grab him or maybe should trade for him.
It's all about the "spin"... talk in circles long enough and nobody can tell what is being said, anymore. 330 lb. NT's don't grow on trees and would have been nice to grab "local boy (actually from MN, though)" UW NT Allen... but it didn't happen, and he won't be cut.

Since this is a coulda, shoulda thread which OTHER NT's are on the bubble and would you like to see in G&G? This is an opinion question, there is no right or wrong answer.

I already threw out the name: Cincinnati Bengal 3rd/4th on depth chart NT Christo Bilukidi... 6'5", 325 lb'er from Georgia State.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
As I'm sure many of us suspected, Thompson stated in his Wednesday presser that his scouts are busy looking over the cuts from the other 31 teams. Also mentioned that they were looking at how they had them rated prior to draft. So, we'll see if they find any needles in that big haystack. I assume the other 31 teams are doing the exact same thing.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As I'm sure many of us suspected, Thompson stated in his Wednesday presser that his scouts are busy looking over the cuts from the other 31 teams. Also mentioned that they were looking at how they had them rated prior to draft. So, we'll see if they find any needles in that big haystack. I assume the other 31 teams are doing the exact same thing.
Who cares what TT or his scouts think? They have no say in who is drafted or signed.

That being said, the lead custodian may be impressed with the talent already in-house.

I think what really hurts is we were angling to feature Raji at NT and getting away from those awful 2 man fronts. I hope Jolly is still on the team radar. Not just for his play, but his first attitude was also a big plus. Not sure what his neck status is.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Who cares what TT or his scouts think? They have no say in who is drafted or signed.

That being said, the lead custodian may be impressed with the talent already in-house.

I think what really hurts is we were angling to feature Raji at NT and getting away from those awful 2 man fronts. I hope Jolly is still on the team radar. Not just for his play, but his first attitude was also a big plus. Not sure what his neck status is.
Jolly's neck must still be a problem or I would think some team would have brought him in for a look.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
So what this means is that I think we have to grab him. It has nothing to do with what Thompson thinks.
Oh...... You must be in GM fantasyland. Sorry, didn't mean to intrude on your hallucinogenic journey.

Members online

Latest posts