Bates Bringing His Boys In

sixone220

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sanders, Nunn Named As Defensive Assistant Coaches

The Green Bay Packers Tuesday named Bob Sanders and Robert Nunn as defensive assistant coaches. Mike Sherman, Executive Vice President and Head Coach, in announcing the move said that positional assignments for the two new coaches would be determined once the entire defensive staff has been hired.

Both Sanders and Nunn have prior experience under new Packers defensive coordinator Jim Bates, including last season with the Miami Dolphins.

Sanders, who tutored both Jevon Kearse and Kevin Carter in college at Florida, enters his 28th season in the coaching profession, his fifth in the NFL. The Dolphins' linebackers coach under Bates, Sanders helped the club rank fifth in the NFL against the run in both 2002 and '03.

While coaching Miami's linebackers the last four seasons, Sanders was well respected by his players. He assisted Zach Thomas to three Pro Bowl selections (2001-03), helped develop third-round draft choice Morlon Greenwood into a pillar on the Miami defense, and guided the unit through the void created by Junior Seau's season-ending injury in 2004. Thomas played five years before Sanders became his coach in 2001, then posted four of his top five single-season tackle totals.

Sanders also has 15 years experience coaching defensive linemen in some capacity. Seven of those seasons were at the University of Florida, where three of his pupils, Kearse, Carter and Huey Richardson, became first-round selections in the NFL Draft. Florida with Sanders led the Southeastern Conference in sacks four straight seasons (1996-99).

With the Gators for 11 years (1990-2000), he coached multiple defensive positions, helping the club to five SEC championships and one national title. He coached the team's ends (1990, 1994-97), 'Banditbacks' and 'Gatorbacks' (1991-93), ends and strong-side linebackers (1998-99) and linebackers (2000). In addition, he served as assistant defensive coordinator (1994-98, 2000), assistant co-defensive coordinator (1991-93) and assistant head coach (1999).

Before his time at Florida, Sanders coached at Duke (ends/outside linebackers 1985-88, co-defensive coordinator/outside linebackers 1989), Richmond (linebackers 1983-84), East Carolina (line/linebackers 1980-82) and Georgia Tech (assistant line coach 1978). He was a high school head coach in 1979.

A former player at Davidson College (1973-75), Sanders owns a bachelor's degree in political science from the school. He and his wife, Kathie, have two daughters, Lindsay and Sarah, and a son, Robby.

Nunn, who coached Bruce Smith in 2003 as a member of the Redskins' staff when Smith broke Reggie White's all-time sacks record, held down a spot on Bates' defensive staff in Miami from 2000-02 as well as in 2004. Nunn has 17 years coaching experience, five in the NFL.

Between stints with the Dolphins, Nunn served as defensive line coach for the Washington Redskins in 2003, coaching a future Hall of Famer in Smith, as well as veteran standouts Renaldo Wynn and Regan Upshaw.

The Dolphins hired him as defensive assistant in 2000, and one year later promoted him to assistant defensive line/quality control coach (where he worked with Pro Bowler Jason Taylor), a position he held until leaving for Washington. Upon returning to Miami in 2004, Nunn assisted the coaching staff in several areas.

Nunn came to the NFL after nine years (1991-99) at Georgia Military College in Milledgeville, Ga. After one season as defensive coordinator, the school promoted him to head coach and athletic director in 1992. In his eight seasons holding that position, Nunn was 66-19 (.776).

Bates first worked with Nunn 16 years ago at the University of Tennessee, where Bates coached linebackers (1989) and Nunn coached defensive ends (1989-90). Nunn launched his coaching career one year earlier as the defensive line coach at Northeastern Oklahoma.

A four-year letterman (1983-84, 1986-87), Nunn played linebacker at Oklahoma State.

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Are they still considering promoting Washington for the DB coaches spot? I haven't heard anything about the DB coaching spot since Slowik left and Kurt got fired.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ArizonaPackerFan said:
Are they still considering promoting Washington for the DB coaches spot? I haven't heard anything about the DB coaching spot since Slowik left and Kurt got fired.
I'd agree with this selection - Lionel has certainly earned a place on the Staff. And, isn't Washington the issue (bone) that McKenzie was throwing all over the place against Mike Sherman? I think it was.... I think I'll write ol' Mikey a little letter asking why this paticular Coach shouldn't get that job... When I send it - I'll post a copy here.

Members online

Latest posts