Bart Starr Passes Away....

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Sad News!

It is with deep sadness that we announce Green Bay Packers legend Bart Starr has passed away at age 85:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

D

Deleted member 6794

Truly sad news. Starr was possibly the most iconic player in franchise history.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The greatest Packer to ever lace them up. No one matched him in passion, friendliness, and leadership. A sad day for Packer Nation. He was the embodiment of what a Packer should be. And still to this day is the standard in which every Packer should strive to be.

Last edited:

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
https://www.packers.com/news/a-message-from-the-family-of-bart-starr

We are saddened to note the passing of our husband, father, grandfather, and friend, Bart Starr. He battled with courage and determination to transcend the serious stroke he suffered in September 2014, but his most recent illness was too much to overcome.

“While he may always be best known for his success as the Packers quarterback for 16 years, his true legacy will always be the respectful manner in which he treated every person he met, his humble demeanor, and his generous spirit.

“Our family wishes to thank the thousands of friends and fans who have enriched his life – and therefore our lives – for so many decades and especially during the past five years. Each letter, text, phone call, and personal visit inspired him and filled him with joy.

“His love for all of humanity is well known, and his affection toward the residents of Alabama and of Wisconsin filled him with gratitude. He had hoped to make one last trip to Green Bay to watch the Packers this fall, but he shall forever be there in spirit.”

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’m grateful for all he gave us, on the football field and off. Classy guy. Thank you Bart. Rest well.

gonzozab

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Got home from church to hear the news of his death. Although the Lombardi years predate me, I am still shook up. Not because he was a Packer great, but instead he was a great person. He and Vince are now in the big gridiron in the sky discussing the next play that wins them the championship. Condolences to his family and friends.

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In terms of football, I think Bart Starr's most impressive statistic is that he still holds the highest playoff passer rating of all time at 104.8. This despite that when he entered the league in 1956, the average QB passer rating was 59.6, while it was up to 92.9 in 2018. He has held on to this record even with the evolution of the NFL into a passing-friendly league, which it certainly wasn't in his era.

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
In terms of football, I think Bart Starr's most impressive statistic is that he still holds the highest playoff passer rating of all time at 104.8. This despite that when he entered the league in 1956, the average QB passer rating was 59.6, while it was up to 92.9 in 2018. He has held on to this record even with the evolution of the NFL into a passing-friendly league, which it certainly wasn't in his era.

Also I doubt anyone will be able to beat his playoff win % .900

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Nice Tribute Video to Bart, just posted today.

Bart's Final visit to Green Bay, was to give back....Amazing.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Always a first class individual. God bless him and his family.

Thanks for all you did for the Packers and this community.

Reaction score
I’m sorry to hear this. My condolences to Barts family, especially his wife of 60 years, Cherry Starr.

Memorial Day here is a time of reflection of all those who served our country. Bart served it best in his compassion for others. I’m proud to remind he’s a fellow brother in a Christ and he’s no longer in pain but he’s with our Lord.

Bart thank you for the great memories. You’ll always be our MVP.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Quick story Bart gave 25k for the families of 9/11 just dropped a check off no media no cameras. If not for the person who took the check we would have never know he was. The best we have so few men who have that aura of greatness and kindness that's who Bart Starr was.

Let's win this Lombardi for Bartz!

Last edited:

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It would be incredibly impressive that he still holds that record just based on longevity alone. But it's absolutely insane that he still holds it considering the way the passing game has exploded.

Condolences to his family.
They don't make men like Bart Starr anymore, to our detriment.

H

HardRightEdge

There's should be no sadness for a long life well lived.

Last edited by a moderator:

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
Bart Starr, his name said it all he was truly a STAR, really saddened by his passing been a Packer fan since 1965, and got emotional at hearing about this, RIP hope future players can look at what a class act is all about in today’s NFL......