1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Announcement is LIVE: Read the Forum Post

Barry Sanders -- Overrated

Discussion in 'All Other Team Discussions' started by Zero2Cool, Oct 16, 2007.

1. Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool I own a website

Ratings:
    +8
    OKay this article section or whatever really got be burning big time.

First, everyone knows that Wayne "moron" Fontes would take Barry out of the game when the Lions were in the red zone for fear of getting him hurt.

Second, he wasn't given much a chance in the post season games. In the six games in the Post Season he only had the ball more than 20 times, ONCE and guess what, he amassed 169 yards. Four times he had less than 15 carries in the game.

Barry was one of the biggest reasons the Lions made the playoffs and Wayne Fontes was an idiot, he should have rode Barry into a Super Bowl, well, tried to. Instead he gave him the ball 3 - 4 times a quarter! IDIOT!

No, Barry was not great at catching the ball out of the backfield.
    No, Barry was not the best at picking up the blitz.
    Yes, Barry was the best pure running back to ever play the game. No one can or will match his electrifying style of running that had fans of either team on the edge of their seat just waiting to see what would happen. Would it be a bust out play or a play of negative yards.

With Barry, you never knew, but you had to keep giving him the rock because he would eventually break the long one. Wayne Fontes failed in that concept MISERABLY.

[flash width=480 height=360]http://youtube.com/v/yifWMmU7cSM.swf[/flash]

2. porky88

porky88 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    He also said Favre is the 2nd most overrated QB of all time.

3. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,977
    He was a thing of beauty to watch...

But he is no Greg Jennings!!

4. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    The guy that wrote that is an IDIOT!
    Sanders was Detroits ONLY offense. He didn't do well in playoff games? Uh, could that be because of the last statement i made??? When it was playoff time, the Lions were going up against the best teams, which KNEW all they had to do to win was stop Sanders to beat the Lions. That doesn't mean Sanders wasn't the best RB! It meant the other teams centered their whole game plan into stopping him.
    The guy should be wearing a Rex Grossma........I mean, DUNCE cap!!!

5. Zero2Cool

Ratings:
    +8
    I am still not happy about this article at all.

6. PackerChick

PackerChick Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    Barry Sanders was the whole Detroit team. We could have had him if we didnt get Manarich.

7. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Yup....i always hoped he would get tired of the losing and come here.
    You know, maybe getting Mandarich was good though. Had we not had that 100% loser, maybe we wouldn't have got Ron Wolf as our GM, and we never would have had Favre.
    I mean, if Sanders would have been here, and we had stayed just mediocre enough to not have to make all the changes we did, like GM, head coach, and so on, maybe we never would have had Brett here.

8. spardo62

spardo62 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Sal certainly is not a Barry Sanders fan.

I personally would place him top 5 of all time. As stated earlier, he played on bad teams, where he was the only offense and still was able to put up numbers. He was electric in the open field and was very good at making people miss tackles. Somewhat lacking in pass protection and not very strong, but still definately a top 5 back of all time.

9. PackerChick

PackerChick Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    Very good points you have there cheesey. the one about getting manarich and then getting ron wolf then favre.

10. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks PC! After having the luxery of hindsight, that the way i thought of it. At the time of course, we as Packer fans were excited about Manderich, as he was so highly touted as being the best o-lineman ever. But we didn't know he was all steroids.
    But now being able to look back, the Packers losing caused the organization to shake everything up, and it ended up making us one of the strongest teams of the 1990's. And, it has allowed us the probably once in a lifetime chance to see a guy like Favre playing for us. We lost not having Sanders, but won BIG with what happened afterwards. We probably never would have had Reggie White come here either! Now he is also a part of our team's storied history. And that SB 31 trophy sure looks pretty added to the other 2 that were there previously! :wink: :D

11. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    I always wondered what kind of stats he would have put up had he been on a GOOD team. I mean, look what he did with NO help. Can you imagine what it would have been like had their offense had ANY other playmakers??? If teams couldn't have just schemed to stop Sanders, he would have probably put up numbers that no one would have ever caught up with. Of course thats just my humble opinion. We will never know what could have been. Imagine how that digs at Lions fans? They had Sanders, and with all his talent, it was just wasted.

12. Timmons

Timmons Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    The author of this article should lose his writing privileges forever.

Herman Moore and Brett Perriman helped Barry Sanders? Please. Who the hell is the second guy anyway? And how much did Herman Moore stretch defenses?

13. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Moore was ok, but sure no super star! Plus, i can't even name a QB for the Lions from those years. And Perriman was a good #4 WR.

14. Zero2Cool

Ratings:
    +8
    PHUCK!!

I thought this was just a bad dream, but no, this article DOES exist.

I'm still just,... blown away by it.

15. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Don't sweat it Zero........everyone has an opinion. This guy has his, and he's just plain wrong!

16. jdlax

jdlax Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm glad the Packers took Tony Mandarich that year. Like someone alluded to, who knows what happens if they take Sanders instead? Didn't do the Lions any good in the end. I'll take the honest to God Superbowl over any and all speculation. A bit off topic there I guess.

17. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Not really that far off topic. After all, it is still Sanders related!

18. big3

big3 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    that story is such BS. He wrote it for publicity. nothing more. get attention to his book. so apparently qb's like scott mitchell and great recievers (lol) like herman moore and Brett perriman made Barry look good. HAHAHAHAHAH. I think this dude had it backwards. Barry would hold all the running records had he not retired early. Who can blame him for being tired of being on a mediocre team? carrying a team for a decade? Barry was the best running back to ever play the game. period. 10 conecutive years of a thousand yards. 5 of those over 1500. no one can top that. I wish he would have played longer. then we wouldn't have arguments who the greatest ever was.

19. nelanator

nelanator Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    And he was wrong... Favre is #1

20. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Sounds like sour grapes from a Viking fan who only gets a chance to SEE a great QB twice a year, when his Vikings get thrashed by said "overrated" QB.

21. Zero2Cool

Ratings:
    +8
    BARRY SANDERS
    [align=center]BARRY SANDERS[/align]
    [align=right]BARRY SANDERS[/align]

BARRY SANDERS

BARRY SANDERS

22. Greg C.

Greg C. Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, it's a stupid article. The Lions did not have good O-lines or good QB's or TE's when he was there. Herman Moore was good for a few years, but that was about it. And Brett Perriman? I remember him being okay, but nothing special.

23. Zombieslayer

Zombieslayer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Big - I've watched Walter Payton, Barry Sanders, Emmitt Smith, LT, Ahman Green, and a slew of other exciting RBs in their prime. Sanders was hands down the best, as much as I loved Wally (yes, I loved a Bear).

If we had Sanders and Favre on the same team, we'd have 3 SB rings in the 90s AT LEAST, plus Sanders would be #1 RB of all time in both yards and TDs. He wouldn't have retired when he still had three or four good years left in him.

Don't take what this ******* said personally. he's a prick. He probably didn't get enough attention from his dad, that's why he needs attention so badly.

24. DakotaT

DakotaT Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    The hell with the skill players, can anyone name one of the offensive lineman Barry ran behind. I dont think any were named Larry Allen, who the national sweethart Emmit got the pleasure of running behind.

The writer of that article is a jackass, hands down.

25. Zero2Cool

Ratings:
    +8
    I agree. If I didn't just buy a new HDTV I'd be throwing things at the screen everytime I seen Sal on it!!