Assistant Coach Tracker

H

HardRightEdge

I'd say. All I said was I found it a little funny. You are the one who seems to be getting worked up over it.
Oh. I guess you didn't mean what you said. Let me know in advance next time and I won't bother.

H

HardRightEdge

Hackett, huh? I can't say I'm all that excited. He did get the Jags to the conference championship with Bortles, so that's something decent.

I was looking for some overlap in LeFleur's and Hackett's travels. The closest I can come is they competed against each other twice this past season where Hackett's offense scored a grand total of 15 points in those games. Other than age, with only about 7 weeks separting them, I don't see connection. Perhaps LaFleur had a little "help" with this choice?

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hackett, huh? I can't say I'm all that excited. He did get the Jags to the conference championship with Bortles, so that's something decent.

I was looking for some overlap in LeFleur's and Hackett's travels. The closest I can come is they competed against each other twice this past season where Hackett's offense scored a grand total of 15 points in those games. Other than age, with only about 7 weeks separting them, I don't see connection. Perhaps LaFleur had a little "help" with this choice?

You mean Murphy don't you?

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why is Lovat still around. If that clown was allowed to give the players their off season workout plans I am going to be pissed. Get rid of him already.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

I was also hoping for someone with more connection to the offensive background. It seems that was Petals' first choice but he was rebuffed.

Pettine and Hackett coached together in Buffalo, so he might have had that recommendation. I also thought I heard that Nathaniel's dad Paul was connected to Mike Shanahan is some way.

H

HardRightEdge

I was also hoping for someone with more connection to the offensive background. It seems that was Petals' first choice but he was rebuffed.

Pettine and Hackett coached together in Buffalo, so he might have had that recommendation. I also thought I heard that Nathaniel's dad Paul was connected to Mike Shanahan is some way.
Who was rebuffed?

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I understand that Hackett is not setting anyone's pants on fire. But he is an experienced offensive coordinator. Petals was denied access to Mike McDaniel and Mike LaFleur from SF, who were his first choices for his offensive staff.

So he interviewed Monken and Hackett. I figured Monken was the better option given what he did this last year in Tampa, but Jim Owczarski said that the Packers didn't make him an offer. Presumably, Hackett is who Petals preferred.

I realize Hackett's resume isn't full of stellar offenses. It also isn't full of stellar players. So I don't think results taken out of context are worth much. And I wonder who people would have preferred that was actually an option. For me, it was Kubiak-- but he didn't even end up taking an OC job so I guess that wasn't on the table.

That's the tough thing about staffing in this league. Teams don't have to let you talk to their guys unless it's for a HC gig. You either have a HC who will allow a member of their staff to leave or you have to pick over staffs/coaches that have been fired.

H

HardRightEdge

LaFleur was blocked from interviewing his first choices from SF.
Frankly, I would have really disliked him hiring his brother. A related party to the boss begs for trouble in small group dynamics. If he wants to get his nephew a job in the basement sorting mail I think I could live with that. That's the mail room's problem.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Frankly, I would have really disliked him hiring his brother. A related party to the boss begs for trouble in small group dynamics. If he wants to get his nephew a job in the basement sorting mail I think I could live with that. That's the mail room's problem.

I agree with you. But Mike McDaniel looked very intriguing.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who are they? And why is it an excuse to state the quarterbacks he's worked with?
I stated he has had very limited success as OC. You stated that it was because his QBs sucked. That's pretty much the definition of excuse.

Maybe all those QBs sucked because he isnt a good coach.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I stated he has had very limited success as OC. You stated that it was because his QBs sucked. That's pretty much the definition of excuse.

Lol... yes, absolutely. Thad Lewis and Chad Henne would be facing off in the pro bowl if only they had better coaches.

Regarding the QB's he's has to work with, I said:

That's important context when considering how successful he's been.

Context is not an excuse. It's a factor in drawing a conclusion. It's what almost everyone around here has been doing in regards to LaFleur in fact in considering how things went in Tennessee last year.

H

HardRightEdge

...Petals...
I get the LaFleur / "Petals" thing, but for some reason your reference made me think of this "Flower" which I am now going to try to forget I ever thought of:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Last edited by a moderator:

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Big shocker: The Colts are letting go of offensive line coach Dave DeGuglielmo. Frank ***** wants his own guy according to Mike Garafolo, and is actually recommending DeGulielmo to other teams.

With Campen gone, I think this could be a really great hire. The offensive line for the Colts made great strides this year. Granted, they have invested heavily in that unit, but I think he has a quite impressive resume.

- After coaching in college, he joined Tom Coughlin's staff. He was a part of the Super Bowl winning team in 2007.

- In 2008 for the Giants, the team set records in rushing yards, and rushing yards per carry.

- He took the same position with the Dolphins after leaving the Giants. The Dolphins rushed for almost 2,000 yards that season (2011).

- Afterward worked for the Jets, and then the Patriots.

- For the Patriots, he was a part of the Super Bowl winning team in 2014, and was fired in 2015. I distinctly remember though that 2015 team was ravaged with injuries. Nate Solder, the left tackle at the time, suffered a season ending injury. To this day, I feel like he got scapegoated because the Patriots lost in the AFC Championship game where Brady got smacked around. I'm not sure what else he could have done with what he had to work with.

Something to keep on the radar for sure, IMO. He'd have a lot to work with in Bakh, Taylor, and Linsley. Shore up the right side of the line.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Big shocker: The Colts are letting go of offensive line coach Dave DeGuglielmo. Frank ***** wants his own guy according to Mike Garafolo, and is actually recommending DeGulielmo to other teams.

With Campen gone, I think this could be a really great hire. The offensive line for the Colts made great strides this year. Granted, they have invested heavily in that unit, but I think he has a quite impressive resume.

- After coaching in college, he joined Tom Coughlin's staff. He was a part of the Super Bowl winning team in 2007.

- In 2008 for the Giants, the team set records in rushing yards, and rushing yards per carry.

- He took the same position with the Dolphins after leaving the Giants. The Dolphins rushed for almost 2,000 yards that season (2011).

- Afterward worked for the Jets, and then the Patriots.

- For the Patriots, he was a part of the Super Bowl winning team in 2014, and was fired in 2015. I distinctly remember though that 2015 team was ravaged with injuries. Nate Solder, the left tackle at the time, suffered a season ending injury. To this day, I feel like he got scapegoated because the Patriots lost in the AFC Championship game where Brady got smacked around. I'm not sure what else he could have done with what he had to work with.

Something to keep on the radar for sure, IMO. He'd have a lot to work with in Bakh, Taylor, and Linsley. Shore up the right side of the line.

I think that's a great idea, but I think they let Campen leave because Petals wants someone who has experience coaching Shanahan's outside zone.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Which is why all of them have done so well without Hackett there.

Shoot, the Jags had a top 10 offense with Blake friggin Bortles at QB. There's definitely something there with Hackett, imo. And anybody who designs and calls a FB verts is great to me.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
If I need new pants, rodell needs a whole new wardrobe.

He was on here telling us Matt LaFleur was Murphy's puppet and was going to be forced to keep McCarthy's staff here.

That narrative has been debunked big time.
Peter king reported mcdaniels was never close to getting the job in gb and was never strongly considered

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Which is why all of them have done so well without Hackett there.

Shoot, the Jags had a top 10 offense with Blake friggin Bortles at QB. There's definitely something there with Hackett, imo. And anybody who designs and calls a FB verts is great to me.
Jacksonville DVOA ranking:

21st, 27th, 16th and 30th

From 2015 to 2018

Yes, Blake Bortles. The number 3 overall pick in 2011. The player known to be very athletic, great poise, pocket awareness, very good arm, and a leader. There are a lot of successful QBs in this league with much lesser abilities. Here is his draft profile:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/blake-bortles?id=2543477

Why is it that if a player fails to perform well he is garbage in a fan's mind? Maybe, just maybe he wasnt developed properly or some other coaching failure.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jacksonville DVOA ranking:

21st, 27th, 16th and 30th

From 2015 to 2018

Yes, Blake Bortles. The number 3 overall pick in 2011. The player known to be very athletic, great poise, pocket awareness, very good arm, and a leader. There are a lot of successful QBs in this league with much lesser abilities. Here is his draft profile:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/blake-bortles?id=2543477

Why is it that if a player fails to perform well he is garbage in a fan's mind? Maybe, just maybe he wasnt developed properly or some other coaching failure.

I'm sorry...great poise? Pocket presence?

Have you...have you seen Bortles play professional football?

He's athletic. He has a strong arm. That's it. And why would I care about his draft profile? We've seen him play pro ball for 5 or 6 years now, that trumps a single scouting report from years ago.

If you want to argue that Bortles is actually a good NFL QB, then by all means do so, but there's a reason in a QB starved league that they tried to let Bortles do as little as possible.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm sorry...great poise? Pocket presence?

Have you...have you seen Bortles play professional football?

He's athletic. He has a strong arm. That's it. And why would I care about his draft profile? We've seen him play pro ball for 5 or 6 years now, that trumps a single scouting report from years ago.

If you want to argue that Bortles is actually a good NFL QB, then by all means do so, but there's a reason in a QB starved league that they tried to let Bortles do as little as possible.
You cant say he doesnt have those skills when he had them in college. Did he grow out of those attributes? Did he forget poise?

Honestly, do you think a player is preordained to be great or suck? That a coach has no influence on his ability to play?

Isnt it more likely that the coaching he received didnt properly prepare him or condition him for live game action?

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
See, that's the point. He isnt a good NFL QB. Why? That's the question.

When a player has all the physical talent to be great, has exhibited all the intangibles, has shown to be a dedicated competitor, and yet sees only modest results, why is that? Crappy team around him? Poor coaching?

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts