Are we still a "cold weather team?"

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've asked this in other threads and didn't get a response so I'll start a thread with the question and maybe this time I'll get some answers.

Lambeau is famously known as the "Frozen Tundra." We had a reputation of dominating games in the cold.
But after losing to the Giants twice in winter playoffs in Green Bay and those home games we've been losing this season, leaves me to question that cold weather claim.
It's unfair to compare it to just a few recent losses so what does the win/loss record for regular season and post show with recent games/years played in Lambeau?
Do we still dominate or play better than other teams in the cold winds of Lambeau? Is the cold still having any effect on visiting warm climate teams? Or have we been getting more spoiled by the domes of the road?

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
Its not a cold weather issue but kinda hard to win,outside or inside if defence and offense is crap.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
The weather and how the Packers play in the cold isn't the very last thing to worry or think about regarding this team. But it's close.

OP
OP
Forget Favre

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
By these responses I take it that the cold is not an issue for opposing teams as it once was?

packerfan4ever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It would be but the weather has not been that bad.Come January when it really gets cold Wisconsin hasn't had that cold feeling yet this year.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Truthfully, I don't think that the Pack have fielded what's generally considered a cold weather team since Holmgren was here. I think that goes with another term that doesn't apply this last decade - mentally tough. I don't know it that is a slam or just an observation -- I'm in a pretty foul mood tonight.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
IMHO by practicing indoors has taken away the cold advantage GB had. Over the past 20 years I don't think they have been as dominating. I also think the league has been scheduling a bit to take away the cold advantage they had. Usually only one warm / dome team after mid November and the team usually but not always was bad the year before. In the Rodgers era after November 13 the home schedule has been: (non-division comments from year before)
2013: Vikings, Falcons, Steelers (Falcons got shafted, Steelers went 8-8)
2012: Vikings, Lions, Titans (Titans missed playoffs)
2011: Vikings, Bucs, Raiders, Bears, Lions (Bucs missed playoffs, Raiders bad)
2010: 49ers, Giants, Bears (All .500 teams)
2009: Cowboys, 49ers, Ravens, Seahawks ( Ravens only playoff team)
2008: Bears, Panthers, Texans, Lions (Panthers & Texans both .500 teams)

P-E-Z

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've asked this in other threads and didn't get a response so I'll start a thread with the question and maybe this time I'll get some answers.

Lambeau is famously known as the "Frozen Tundra." We had a reputation of dominating games in the cold.
But after losing to the Giants twice in winter playoffs in Green Bay and those home games we've been losing this season, leaves me to question that cold weather claim.
It's unfair to compare it to just a few recent losses so what does the win/loss record for regular season and post show with recent games/years played in Lambeau?
Do we still dominate or play better than other teams in the cold winds of Lambeau? Is the cold still having any effect on visiting warm climate teams? Or have we been getting more spoiled by the domes of the road?

Well first you need to understand the cold weather only an advantage if team coming in isn't used to it.... Dome and Southern teams. The Giants are cold weather team that plays out doors. While actual temp is a little lower in Green Bay its not that much colder. The temps below 20 are not uncommon in North Jersey. I just looked up the temps for weekend watch Falcons with ball handling all day.

P-E-Z

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMHO by practicing indoors has taken away the cold advantage GB had. Over the past 20 years I don't think they have been as dominating. I also think the league has been scheduling a bit to take away the cold advantage they had. Usually only one warm / dome team after mid November and the team usually but not always was bad the year before. In the Rodgers era after November 13 the home schedule has been: (non-division comments from year before)
2013: Vikings, Falcons, Steelers (Falcons got shafted, Steelers went 8-8)
2012: Vikings, Lions, Titans (Titans missed playoffs)
2011: Vikings, Bucs, Raiders, Bears, Lions (Bucs missed playoffs, Raiders bad)
2010: 49ers, Giants, Bears (All .500 teams)
2009: Cowboys, 49ers, Ravens, Seahawks ( Ravens only playoff team)
2008: Bears, Panthers, Texans, Lions (Panthers & Texans both .500 teams)

I agree that practice indoors takes away some of the advantage.

OP
OP
Forget Favre

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not since they built an indoor practice facility.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Hutson#Honors_and_recognition

In 1994 the Packers named their new state-of-the-art indoor practice facility across the street from Lambeau Field the "Don Hutson Center".

I thought they were still doing pretty good in the cold outdoors up until recently?
And I think I've heard that sometimes they open up all the doors and try to recreate cold conditions.

Will be interesting to see how your Vikes do since they will be playing outdoors for the next couple of years.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Like mentioned above: The cold thing does not always work in a northern teams favor. Many other teams we have played are from the north and play outdoors as well. Even if teams come from the south, like the panthers, it gets cold as a snow mans balls in charlotte. Not to mention some players may have come from the north or played college ball in the north. I beleive the cold is more of a mental barrier than it is an advantage. Now, a team like Miami would have the most issues with the cold IMO, considering they are in the 70's and 80's in their "winter" and if they have any players that have been there a long time and are completely adjusted to the florida climate..... that cold mental game would work on them better. I can say that after spending 18 years in eastern NC, I doubt I could handle a Wisconsin winter, it would take years for me to re-adjust to that frozen hell.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cold or hot they suck. Heck you can't even say we have "home field" advantage on our side anymore having lost two and tying a game (that we should've lost) at home. The Falcons aren't afraid of coming into Lambeau to face a team that looks just as bad as they do trust me.

PWT

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score

Forget Farve

Packers have not yet played games in winter conditions this season (2013). The first game that probably be played in winter c0nditions in Green Bay will be December 8 against the Falcons . The next game the Packers will play in winter condition is on December 22 against the Steelers in Green Bay The Packers will play the Bears in Chicago on December 29. Weather will probably be very windy and cold in Chicago

The Packers now have record of 16-4 in post season games in December and January in State of Wisconsin from 1939 to 2012..

From December 7, 2008 until December 23 ,2012 at Lambeau Field, the Packers are 12-1 in regular season games in December and January with Aaron Rodgers as Packer QB .
The Last time the Packers lost at Lambeau Field in December and January was a regular season game at Lambeau Field was on December 7, 2008. The Packers lost to Houston Texas 24 to 21 in Overtime .

From December 1992 to December 2007, The Packers were 31-6 in regular season games in Green Bay during December and January with Brett Farve as Packer QB .

You draw our own conclusion about the Packers success at Lambeau Field during winter months December and January.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
^ well, that was with Farve and Arod..... how about a Flynn that is not the same as he once was? How about when we are missing a key WR in cobb and a key TE in finley. How about stats that have us winning in the cold with a musical chairs O-line? How about cold weather stats with a patch work defense at damn near all positions? How about a kicker that has been sketchy in outside cold weather games?

The statistical odds are still not in our favor. Sorry, just being real.

OP
OP
Forget Favre

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thank you very, very much PWT. That is the statistical info I was looking for. (And I very much appreciate everyone else's input as well. Feel free to keep on adding your thoughts or facts to the post if you got 'em.)

Going by that, I would write that we are still a dominant cold weather team at Lambeau.
Is it because of the cold weather, we are a good team or a bit of both?
I don't think that one can come up with an absolute answer but it's good to see that we are not as bad as I thought we were in the cold.

^ well, that was with Farve and Arod..... how about a Flynn that is not the same as he once was? How about when we are missing a key WR in cobb and a key TE in finley. How about stats that have us winning in the cold with a musical chairs O-line? How about cold weather stats with a patch work defense at damn near all positions? How about a kicker that has been sketchy in outside cold weather games?

The statistical odds are still not in our favor. Sorry, just being real.
None of us are happy about this season either.
We may do poorly in Decemburrr/Jan of this season or we may not.
We'll just have to wait and see.
If we do win without Air-Run and the other missing keys to our team, then maybe the cold does help us after all.
And I'd like to think that you agree that we need all the help we can get.
(They have probably put Timmy Tebeow on speed dial by now.)

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Bears practiced outside all last week, and players said it was one of the reasons they did well last night. We should be doing the same in Dec. and January. MM minimizes weather as a factor, but I believe he's wrong when winter's here.

Members online

Latest posts