Are we done in FA?

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Think we'll sign anyone else before the draft? Or are we done for now? Any rumors going on regarding this?

Thoughts?

D

Deleted member 6794

I would be surprised if we sign another veteran free agent. There aren´t a lot of impact players left.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Ol' Ted will sign a couple tumble weed guys..... they roll in.....they roll out.....no one will remember their names after time and nothing will matter.

Merling and Hargrove ....... just dust in the wind from last season, perfect examples.

OP
OP
Vrill

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wonder what happened with Owen Daniels? Hes still unsigned.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Maybe Kuhn and Flynn. Then again, maybe not.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Merling and Hargrove ....... just dust in the wind from last season, perfect examples.
Oshkosh, I know you're not happy about these type of signings but they don't typically hurt the Packers much. There is little downside but big upside if you find someone, like a Howard Green, that becomes a big contributor. Wolf made these moves too, bringing in guys like Bruce Wilkerson to see if they had anything left in the tank to give. You've got to keep active bringing guys through and you will find some, but you will always have more misses than hits. The point is that the misses shouldn't hurt you and but the hits should have huge payoffs.

There is a good article about Ted staying out of free agency in order to secure extra compensatory picks:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ensatory-picks-over-unrestricted-free-agents/
This is just the last paragraph
Building through the draft and declining to overspend in free agency would be a smart strategy even if the NFL didn’t have a compensatory pick system to reward frugal teams. But when compensatory picks are added to the equation, it’s easy to see why Thompson declines to go after free agents. The Packers have been successful this way. It’s surprising more teams haven’t copied them.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
I am not asking for top teir names, just at least known names that can provide help. Trying that needle in a haystack approach is hit and miss indeed, but I would have to say it is 90% miss. Finding a gem no namer is not common. I think he did hit on DuJaun Harris, but it sucked that he got hurt. You can still find great value with middle of the bunch players that will more than likely contribute, rather than kicking the tires on a used car you wont ever buy.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We all agree that some bigger names are important in strategic places. My point was more that you can't stop kicking the tires on the low-end guys just because you aren't bringing in the big-name/high-dollar players. It's still an important part of the overall strategy.