Are the most recent additions enough to help the Packers defense?

Which outside free agent will do the most for the Packers this season?

• Martellus Bennett

Votes: 11 73.3%
  • Davon House

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Ahmad Brooks

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Quinton Dial

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lance Kendricks

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers defensive coordinator Dom Capers has been wanting veterans for his complex 3-4 defense for a long time and it appears he is finally getting just that.
Well, Capers wants veterans that are both veterans of the game (experience) but also veterans of his system. They work hand-in-hand.

They will help. This was a playoff-caliber team last season with an abysmal secondary due to injuries. Most would say that we are better on paper now with all of these additions. We shall see. We are definitely still a playoff-caliber team, and we have the coaches and stars to win a Super Bowl. I'm excited to see how it plays out.

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bennett will be good, but Brooks will have more of an impact, especially with injury prone CMIII and Perry. The defense needs all the help they can get.

Reaction score
My issue is just how weak our depth seems to be at every position on defense except safety and defensive line. Cornerback is stacked with fancy names, but I remain unconvinced that they will develop into a force this year. Preseason was not a pretty time for that group. OLB still concerns me, even though one of our current top 3 defensive talents plays there (Perry, not Matthews). I'll admit that with the adjustment to assignments that Elephant has introduced the last few years and Nitro is introducing now, this same personnel group could go from worrisome in a traditional 3-4 to exceptional in a modern 3-4 (with the hybridization of DE/OLB to EDGE and S/ILB mixing), but until I am shown that I will remain pragmatic. I know that I have a reputation for pessimism here right now, but with what we have it really is more pragmatism than pessimism. I actually am optimistic that this new organization and assignment scheme could pay dividends, and in that context the addition of Brooks and Dial are coups, but if we keep playing the same old 3-4 those two guys aren't enough to address our issues.

And still, even if we do fully modernize our 3-4 and it works out perfectly and we don't have injuries, our CB corps has a LOT of stepping up to do.

D

Deleted member 6794

Bennett will be good, but Brooks will have more of an impact, especially with injury prone CMIII and Perry. The defense needs all the help they can get.

Brooks will have to get used to the team's defensive scheme before being able to make a huge impact. That might take some time.

help? yes. put them in the top 10...no. top 15...maybe. i'd be happy if they were in the top 15.

The Packers defense finishing within the top 15 in points allowed might be just good enough to win it all with an elite offense.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brooks will have to get used to the team's defensive scheme before being able to make a huge impact. That might take some time.

The Packers defense finishing within the top 15 in points allowed might be just good enough to win it all with an elite offense.
If they play at that level in the playoffs. The defense was top 15 in 2009 and 2012, but were shredded in the playoffs. Capers is an average to below average DC in the regular season, and atrocious in the playoffs.

D

Deleted member 6794

If they play at that level in the playoffs. The defense was top 15 in 2009 and 2012, but were shredded in the playoffs. Capers is an average to below average DC in the regular season, and atrocious in the playoffs.

You forgot to mention the 2015 season when the defense finished in 11th in points allowed while not featuring any glaring weaknesses. In my opinion a lack of talent has been mostly to blame for the unit's shortcomings when facing elite offenses.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
While I think Bennett will "do the most" statistically for the Packers out of this group, both House and Brooks might finally help to keep this defense from being the inconsistent, often scorched group that we grew accustomed to seeing last year. Both of those players are capable of playing pretty solid in either starting (House) or backup roles (Brooks). I also see both of them being able to provide the defense with a big play once in awhile and much needed consistency and depth at their perspective positions.

Barring injuries, this should be an improved defense over the one we saw last year that was marred by injuries, inexperience and giving up big plays. If not.....Fire Capers!

D

Deleted member 6794

While I think Bennett will "do the most" statistically for the Packers out of this group, both House and Brooks might finally help to keep this defense from being the inconsistent, often scorched group that we grew accustomed to seeing last year. Both of those players are capable of playing pretty solid in either starting (House) or backup roles (Brooks). I also see both of them being able to provide the defense with a big play once in awhile and much needed consistency and depth at their perspective positions.

Barring injuries, this should be an improved defense over the one we saw last year that was marred by injuries, inexperience and giving up big plays. If not.....Fire Capers!

I expect the defense to be improved over last year's unit as well but unfortunately am not that optimistic about House being a major improvement in the secondary.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts