Are Packer fans taking things for granted?

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://packersinsider.com/2011/11/packer-nation-taking-things-for-granted/

Are we ignoring some ominous signs, as we did in the 1997 season?
Is there a lesson in it all?
I think so. For both we fans, and McCarthy & Capers.

Also, I know there were tons of eerily similarities between the champion 1996 & 2010 teams, which were talked about before the 2010 season. But let's change that path now.

Regardless of what tomorrow beholds, enjoy the here & now. Enjoy today!

Guacamole

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not taking things for granted here........just taking one game at a time......going to the game tomorrow and this is one game that even the majority of the fans here think the Chargers will lose. THEY ARE EXPECTING A BLOW OUT. I'm hoping, but unless Capers defense stops giving up so many yards, who knows what will happen. The Packers are playing with confidence and the 2nd stringers are stepping up when needed.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nope, definitely not taking anything for granted, and I don't believe the coaches or players are either.

We all, fans, coaching staff, players, and media, acknowledge that this team has it's flaws. You hear it in every post game interview- "We still haven't played a good game yet." They know this team can be so much better than it is and they aren't taking anything lightly.

A good example of this team not looking for a let down is the games against Atlanta, Carolina, St. Louis and Minnesota. The Packers were down by 13 and 14 points against Carolina and Atlanta respectively, but manned up and got it done. Ordinarily this would have led to a loss. Not this year.

The Packers usually lay an egg once or twice in a season, and St. Louis and Minnesota were the ultimate "Trap Game" opponents to do so against. But not this year. This year this team took them seriously and we came out with the victory.

Another example of this team looking to stay tough for the home stretch is the bye week. Rather than take some time off, McCarthy, Capers and their respective staff chose to remain back home and work on trying to fix some of our issues. And then, when the players returned from the bye week, McCarthy opted to put on pads right away, choosing this past week as their one and only week where they're allowed to put the pads on twice.

I don't know if this will culminate in another Super Bowl championship for the Packers. I hope it does, and only time will tell. But there's no way anyone outside of a couple delusional fans is taking anything, or anyone, for granted this season.

Reaction score
nah, never...
go on pro football reference and just type in "Packers 08 season" or "Brett Favre 2005" and it'll make you puke ....

gerrh! should have had winning records those years.... or at least a .500 record

BoltNut

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not taking things for granted here........just taking one game at a time......going to the game tomorrow and this is one game that even the majority of the fans here think the Chargers will lose. THEY ARE EXPECTING A BLOW OUT. I'm hoping, but unless Capers defense stops giving up so many yards, who knows what will happen. The Packers are playing with confidence and the 2nd stringers are stepping up when needed.

I think most Bolt fans are expecting one of two things. Either Rivers and company are going to finally wake up and get things together and make a real game out of this one, or it will be over by halftime. There doesn't seem to be much in between. The Bolts have the capability to look like world beaters, but also play like the Keystone Kops.

By the way, speaking of "two things".... the girl in your avatar..... she should be wearing some eye protection..... man, you could put an eye out with those things!

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not taking things for granted, I very much live in the moment and right now I'm enjoying the hell out of this. It is easy to get caught up and swept away in a euphoric storm of emotions, but I honestly believe that this team's success is more rooted in hard core talent than pure luck. They just have this unbelievable presence when they play. Undeniable chemistry. I take none of it for granted because I have lived through the years when we weren't so good and loved the team just the same. I think those of us who have been a fan during losing seasons know not to take winning for granted but to treasure it because you know the taste of bitterness and can therefore appreciate the sweet taste of victory.

BoltNut

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not taking things for granted, I very much live in the moment and right now I'm enjoying the hell out of this. It is easy to get caught up and swept away in a euphoric storm of emotions, but I honestly believe that this team's success is more rooted in hard core talent than pure luck. They just have this unbelievable presence when they play. Undeniable chemistry. I take none of it for granted because I have lived through the years when we weren't so good and loved the team just the same. I think those of us who have been a fan during losing seasons know not to take winning for granted but to treasure it because you know the taste of bitterness and can therefore appreciate the sweet taste of victory.

Excellent post. Packer fans have good reason to feel proud. "Undeniable chemistry", that has to be the two words that best describe it. Fans that have followed their teams season after season, share the same things you have described in their hearts too. All I can say to Packer fans is, enjoy this. You deserve this time with your team's success. There have been a lot of lean years, but that is in the past. Good luck today. I have really enjoyed spending a few days on this message board talking with everyone. You are a classy group of folks.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Not taking things for granted here........

.......I'm hoping, but unless Capers defense stops giving up so many yards, who knows what will happen. The Packers are playing with confidence and the 2nd stringers are stepping up when needed.

I with you here. I can't bring myself to be too confident given the porous nature of the Pack's defense. The Pack cannot expect to continually out-run their own defense's weaknesses. I can't dismiss it just because the coaching staff and players say ... "Sheesh, we haven't even played our best game yet". I'm more inclined to ask "Why not?" NFL teams aren't prone to collapse in the red zone and a team with the weapons like the Chargers can puncture that "bend but doesn't break defense" myth real quickly.

I recognize that teams circle the Packers on their schedule. The defending Super Bowl Champs are always going to get an opponent's best and so far, the Pack have managed to out-score their opponents (meaning out-run their own defense) ... I'm concerned week-in and week-out.

Greenbayphil

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Excellent post. Packer fans have good reason to feel proud. "Undeniable chemistry", that has to be the two words that best describe it. Fans that have followed their teams season after season, share the same things you have described in their hearts too. All I can say to Packer fans is, enjoy this. You deserve this time with your team's success. There have been a lot of lean years, but that is in the past. Good luck today. I have really enjoyed spending a few days on this message board talking with everyone. You are a classy group of folks.

Yeh I have kind of lurked on the Bolts forums, you guys seem pretty cool aswell unlike some of the other fan forums I've been on, anyway best of luck today I guess, still think pack are going to take this one but who knows!

Greenbayphil

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I with you here. I can't bring myself to be too confident given the porous nature of the Pack's defense. The Pack cannot expect to continually out-run their own defense's weaknesses. I can't dismiss it just because the coaching staff and players say ... "Sheesh, we haven't even played our best game yet". I'm more inclined to ask "Why not?" NFL teams aren't prone to collapse in the red zone and a team with the weapons like the Chargers can puncture that "bend but doesn't break defense" myth real quickly.

I recognize that teams circle the Packers on their schedule. The defending Super Bowl Champs are always going to get an opponent's best and so far, the Pack have managed to out-score their opponents (meaning out-run their own defense) ... I'm concerned week-in and week-out.

I think the topic of defense should be discussed later on tonight and see how the guys do. They have had a week off to rest and get healthy.

If they come out tonight and give up the big plays and big yardage like we have seen them do week in week out then we start worrying.

this bye week was meant to get our guys healthy so they can perform at a higher level than they have been, so after tonight we will see how things go from there.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
I don't know, Phil. You're a heck of a lot more forgiving than I am. ;) You're obviously a good man. :) I'm a knob where O-line and defense is concerned.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I think some are..We see it on this forum...I have said they could lose to Detroit and it is like I said the world is ending

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I learned a long time ago to take nothing for granted. The Packers are 7-0 but there's plenty of room for improvement. I just take one game at a time as the cliche goes.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
As fans who have to impact on the games themselves, it is completely irrelevant whether we take anything for granted.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I learned a long time ago to take nothing for granted. The Packers are 7-0 but there's plenty of room for improvement. I just take one game at a time as the cliche goes.
I learned that years ago too.... I just want the younger fans here to realize this is special, what's happening here lately.
Some youngens are acting like this is normal.

It's as special as it gets.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
As fans who have to impact on the games themselves, it is completely irrelevant whether we take anything for granted.
Completely untrue, it's the nature of home field advantage. The more fervor the home team generates the more noise they make and it's a decided advantage in games.
I didn't make this up, it's a commodity when discussing some home field advantages.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
I learned that years ago too.... I just want the younger fans here to realize this is special, what's happening here lately.
Some youngens are acting like this is normal.

It's as special as it gets.
It's the basis of my fandom Frank. I didn't know anything about football but the fact that a Wisconsin team was the world champs was overwhelming. It was all over every news you ever saw but my parents didn't watch news and the NFL wasn't on TV. It was overwhelming in the fact that the little I heard was about the Packers. I lived in Wisconsin and there was no chance in those days of playing youth football, they didn't have it. You just loved the Packers without knowing what they did.
I'll call it Blind Glory. We heard about Lombardi and the Packers on the radio, Dad liked to hunt, wasn't into pro football at the time. It probably seemed like pro soccer does to me today. I can only imagine to the older guys here that previous to this American Football was a note in the paper. I don't have a way to recollect and I've LOVE to hear from fans of the earlier eras.
But there is one point I want to make succinct. I will never and have never taken the Green Bay Packers for granted. They have been the center of many family outings and so many smiles and cheers that I would never trade my fan standing for any other sport. If a fan takes the success for granted I'm okay with it. I did for years without knowing the cusp of the history.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I will never and have never taken the Green Bay Packers for granted. They have been the center of many family outings and so many smiles and cheers ......
Same here!
Do the math..... 32 teams, if all fair, it's 32 years between Super Bowl titles.
We've beaten those odds.
Sure, the 70's and 80's were horrific, and I lived thru most of that as a die-hard fan.
In Minnesota no-less! That made it way worse. (explains why I hate the grape apes so much too).

The 90's were very good, but the QB choked in the playoffs every time but once.
This new guy Rodgers.... he's already bettered the old guy's playoff career. I like that.

Anyway, I just checked the Bodog Super Bowl odds, and we are 9/4 heavy favorites.
I hope Vegas is correct.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Completely untrue, it's the nature of home field advantage. The more fervor the home team generates the more noise they make and it's a decided advantage in games.
I didn't make this up, it's a commodity when discussing some home field advantages.

Less than 1% of Packer fans are at Lambeau at game time.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
I didn't get it the first or second time but I got it the third. You're under the impression that I was thinking the entire fanbase of the Green Bay Packers had a measure in homefield advantage???
Just for the sake of discussion, what percentage of the human beings attending a game at Lambeau Field are Packer fans? You know, you can throw in neutral people like TV color and announcers and technicians. But roughly, what percentage of the people who see a live game at Lambeau are Packer fans?

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Of the people in the stands, more than 95% are Packer fans. What the heck is your point? There hasn't been ANY lack of enthusiasm at Lambeau at any point this year. You're attempting to fabricate an issue where none exists. Time to move on.

packerfan4ever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think we are taking our team for granted,when you have a tream that gets down on themselves,for not playing like they should they improve each week and win look at the pats their d-line is not playing well give up yards their o-line keeps them in the game why the q.b. well we have a good one plus w.r plus r.b so yea I think this team can keep winning,and I think they do it with out being cocky.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts