1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Announcement is LIVE: Read the Forum Post

Anyone think we need to pay Jenkins now?

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by YouFrgotPoland, May 1, 2011.

1. Spanish Rose

Spanish Rose Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +61
    Although Neal showed some promise last year, I'd feel much more confident if he was complementing jenkins rather than replacing him. Jenkins and Neal sounds much better as a one to two punch in passing situations than Neal and blank because Neal is still a bit of an unknown and who will play opposite him? I think Neal would benefit from not having pressure on him to be that guy, as jenkins is already accustomed to it, and just goin out and playing ball. Idk we'll see Teddy knows what he's doin

2. TeamTundra

TeamTundra Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +92
    I know stats sometimes don't tell the entire story, but Jenkins only had 22 tackles (includes sacks) the entire year including the playoffs and Super Bowl. He also only had 1/2 a sack for the three playoff games and Super Bowl combined.

Personally I would rather spend the money on another free agent DE from a different team. Someone younger with more upside. I still hope Jenkins returns, but some team will probably get stupid (read the Bears) and overpay him.

3. JoshuaRHuffman

JoshuaRHuffman Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +60
    No love for Lawrence Guy? I think he'll fit Capers scheme well. We need to get younger on the DL anyway. We already got two guys exceeding 30 (Pickett and Green). Neal, Wilson, Raji, and Guy plus Pickett, Green is a good 6-man rotation without breaking the bank.

4. ThxJackVainisi

ThxJackVainisi Lifelong Packers Fanatic

Ratings:
    +2,932

True, but another concept in economics is "zero sum game" and as applied to the NFL it means paying Jenkins what he is worth and/or what he will be asking leaves exactly that much less money and (presumably) cap room to sign and/or extend other core players. So paying Jenkins will negatively impact other players. Don’t get me wrong, I love the pass rush Jenkins brings from his DL spot. But I think Thompson's way is to prepare to replace players who are, or who are about to be, on the downside of their careers and Cullen turned 30 in January. In addition, of the last 48 regular season games, Jenkins has played in 31; so of the last three regular seasons, he's basically missed one season.

Mike Neal is an unknown but I believe Thompson and the Packers think of him as Jenkins' replacement. This may sound strange but I think one more thing that goes against re-signing Jenkins is Capers' ingenuity. His defense played great in the post season, getting significant contributions from street free agents and undrafted rookies like Green, Walden, Zombo, and Shields.

• Like Like x 2
  5. GnG

GnG Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0

Sorry I can't post the link because of my status. He really wanted to stay in Green Bay from the sound of the article.