Anyone think we need to pay Jenkins now?

YouFrgotPoland

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I loved the draft, loved some of the players we got, loved how Ted kinda just took what came to him. I kinda thought we'd use an earlier pick on D-line to prepare for Cullen leaving. I assume the team has a lot of faith in Mike Neal, probably warranted. But still... I worry about Jenkins leaving a big hole if he's gone... Thoughts?

TheGiftedApe

TheGiftedApe
Reaction score
raji, picket, neal, wilson, green is a pretty solid rotation. Not to mention we should see more production from the other OLB spot with the young guns, zombo, jones, walden having another year under their belt.

that being said, I'd like to see jenkins back.

GBPack2010

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can't really do anything if he wants more money. I would assume Ted Thompson gave him a deal whatever it is and Jenkins rightfully believes he deserves more after being integral part of a Super Bowl winning team. We need to resign Rodgers and some other high profile players in next few years so if an initial deal isn't met he has to go. NFL is a business but I do hope he resigns. Mike Neal is no Cullen Jenkins at least not yet.

OP
OP
YouFrgotPoland

YouFrgotPoland

Cheesehead
Reaction score
raji, picket, neal, wilson, green is a pretty solid rotation. Not to mention we should see more production from the other OLB spot with the young guns, zombo, jones, walden having another year under their belt.

that being said, I'd like to see jenkins back.

This was all my thoughts exactly. I just can't help but think back to the Washington game. Clay gets hurt, d goes to s**t. Now losing our second best pass rusher, I dunno it just worries me... But ya I guess thats just the business end of football...

On the bright side, our offense looks like its gonna be straight nasty :)

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Can't really do anything if he wants more money. I would assume Ted Thompson gave him a deal whatever it is and Jenkins rightfully believes he deserves more after being integral part of a Super Bowl winning team. We need to resign Rodgers and some other high profile players in next few years so if an initial deal isn't met he has to go. NFL is a business but I do hope he resigns. Mike Neal is no Cullen Jenkins at least not yet.

I wonder how much is too much for a quality player. Does anyone know? I'm sure he'll want big bucks. But approximately how much would it take to keep him?

I forget who it was but I heard one commentator who had Super Bowl experience say the number one killer of repeats is "me-itis". When the individual players catch it, the team disintegrates and they head off to other teams.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
I love the guy, as a fan he's one of my favorites, everyone likes a qb destroying lineman. But it's obvious it's about him and not the team. I don't blame him, I'd go for the bucks too.
So he's going to demand the tall cash, good for him and let's get going with who we got. He was injured quite a bit this season and I can't see paying huge dough to a guy who's not there all the time. How much time did Peppers miss? Production AND availability are the mix.
So I'm okay with the guys we have though you'd certainly like more depth in case of injury. I think we as fans are starting to learn depth is everything with championship teams. A super stud interior lineman is worth absolutely nothing if he's on the sideline not suited up.
This last season kinda changed my perspective about professional football. You'd like depth behind superstars, but solid guys will work if well coached.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think he will take 1.2 mil.

If it's an uncapped year we could front load a 2 year contract for some large amount but I doubt that happens. Jenkins is gone IMO.

Just trust in Ted at this point. I doubt he is missing something this obvious

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Something to remember- We WON all 5 games without Neal, Jenkins or Jolly last season. If anything, the depth we have on the defensive line proved it's just not a position of need and that we're ok not having Jenkins. Yes, we're definitely better with him, but as much as I would love to have him back, we'll be ok without him.

Mike Neal will return, as will Justin Harrell who was injured due to a knee and not his back this time. CJ Wilson and Howard Green will have a second year under the system as well, plus the new draft picks we grabbed. DE isn't a huge area of need for us.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would love Jenkins to be back.
And would absolutely pay him even a little extra to have him.

But if he asks for too much money, we shouldn't. He's getting long in the tooth, and has never played a full season.

TeamTundra

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm hoping Jenkins returns, but at a reasonable price. We have other key free agents after the 2011 season (Finley, Sitton) assuming four years of service remains the same in the new CBA.

I believe Mike Neal will have a good year, but would feel better with a dependable veteran lineman to back him up. The link below lists current DL free agents, but I'm not sure if it's up to date.

If we can't resign Jenkins, would anyone on the list be a good fit for our scheme?

2011 NFL Free Agents: DL

Sunshine885500

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hopefully Jenkins will return. He is a playmaker plain and simple. I don't want Harrell back and even though Jolly was our best Defensive Lineman two years ago who know if he will be allowed to play. Even if he does play will he be able to play at the same level after missing a year. Hopefully they will figure this out and be able to keep him.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
(Is there any way to delete a post?)

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I believe Jenkins said he was 99% sure he wouldn’t return and I think the reason is the Packers didn’t make him a serious offer all season. Out of the last three years he missed a total of one season injured. I’d LOVE to have him back, except for the money and cap space it would take to keep him: He’s the best pass rushing DL on the team. But those making the point the Packers have other talented and younger players to extend have a good point. Green and Wilson can hold the point OK but I think they’re counting on Neal to provide the pass rush Jenkins did.

The Packers’ ace in the hole is their DC. I’m not surprised Thompson loaded up on the offensive side of the ball early in the draft. Capers can put together a D with duct tape and bailing wire.

GBPack2010

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Peppers makes $14 mil. I don't think Jenkins will accept anything under $7 mil and that's being generous.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
I pray we keep him and offer him whatever he is asking as long as it is in our means and it doesn't negativity impact other players. It's a simple law of economics, if you want quality, you pay more for it. Jenkins is certainly quality. I see him as a invaluable part of our D as in functions as a whole unit. Without Jenkins, our D loses a great part of that spark that makes them so good as a unit. I'm looking at Jenkings on two different levels here. How he plays as an individual and how he plays with the team in terms of chemistry. In both aspects, he is incredible. This defense works on those two levels, individual performance and their performance as a team. I don't want to see Jenkins gone from us and I certainly wouldn't want to be our see our Oline facing him from the other direction on someone else's D!

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
if he didn't have the club he'd be worth even more b/c he missed at least 4 sacks b/c of that club, 2 of which were on McNabb...I think Cullen Jenkings is a huge playmaker, but it's a tough spot for TT...what is the guy's worth?

4 years $20 mil?

Members online

Latest posts