Anyone else worried about GB's ground attack?

packers020802

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know R. Grant is a top 10 RB in the NFL BUT....
So far this Pre-Season he has been so-so...
Our Oline's run blocking is iffy...
If Grant gets hurt its up to BJ and Lumpkin...

I know the run opens up our pass game but if Grant goes down teams can just drop 7 & 8 OR tee off on #12.

Anyone else have an opinion?

:viksux::chisux::detsux:

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I know the run opens up our pass game but if Grant goes down teams can just drop 7 & 8 OR tee off on #12.

I think Grant had, what, 5 carries so far? Really not worried.

If anythin, I'm more assured of our backup situation, with what I saw from Brandon Jackson...

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i think the only thing they need is a pounder to get the short yardage conversion, which kuhn displayed while lining up behind quin johnson, i think that should be an option in the regular season, he looked really good

Mr. StyleZ

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
What RS said. Not worried at all. Our run game will be pretty decent I believe. I have some strange feeling that Grant will get injured, and that BJ will take over and have a terrific season. Hope I'm wrong about that last part.

jkrelt

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brandon Jackson actually preformed like the Brandon Jackson we've been promised for the last few years against Seattle. (Has anyone noticed how BJ keeps moving his legs as hes tackled resulting in an extra yard each carry?) The Grant/Jackson combo is going to be respectable this season. Besides, defenses around the league have to respect our passing game...opposing teams will be forced to spend loads of time in the nicke/dime...allowing our running game to excel. You also have to consider the fact that we'll probably get about 300 yards of rushing this season from Aaron Rodgers to boot. I'm not worried about the rushing capabilities of this team one iota.

VolvoD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
nope, not at all. there are other areas to worry about (special teams, penalties-DO NOT OVER-LOOK PENALTIES!), this is not one of them.

PackAttackUK

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brandon Jackson actually preformed like the Brandon Jackson we've been promised for the last few years against Seattle. (Has anyone noticed how BJ keeps moving his legs as hes tackled resulting in an extra yard each carry?) The Grant/Jackson combo is going to be respectable this season.

IF MM lets BJ carry the rock some more...

turbo69

Cheesehead
Reaction score

If you ask me........as long as Brandon Jackson stays healthy....I like him better than Grant.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score

I've wanted to see something more from the running game for the past couple of years. I know the Packers use a lot of passes to set up the run rather than vise versa, but I'd still like to see real breakout back in the lineup to keep defenses honest. Grant is solid and consistent, but not dynamic enough to make other defenses stack the line with 8 in the box.

PApackersfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well being a pass first team, it helps our RBs cuz they dont see as many carries as sum running teams, which in turn you have a less chance of them getting hurt. Grant is a solid back, he is consistent and durable, and ill take that. But if something were to happen i think Jackson and Kuhn can get it done. Hopefully our rookie back is healthy enough too to take sum snaps. Btw, its preseason and i dont expect player to go gungho all-out, so im sure Grant will do better in the season than he has. still LOL about eli vs jets haha.

Schmitty327

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think when we play the Bears we should let Raji run the ball at the Goal Line like they did to us in the William Perry days. That would be sweet. :chisux:

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I want to know how does teams like the Cardinals & the Giants find quality backs all the time in the 7th round...Cardinals got Tim Hightower & Stephens-Howling...Giants get Bradshaw...we should get a better running back scout for finding us some dynamic players for the ground and return game...can't be that hard, imagine if we had a Josh Cribbs and a Bradshaw

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I want to know how does teams like the Cardinals & the Giants find quality backs all the time in the 7th round...Cardinals got Tim Hightower & Stephens-Howling...Giants get Bradshaw...we should get a better running back scout for finding us some dynamic players for the ground and return game...can't be that hard, imagine if we had a Josh Cribbs and a Bradshaw
Like Grant (6th round), Driver (7th round), Finley (4th round)?

jkrelt

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All in all, the Pack will probably have a quiet, yet productive, rushing attack again this year. Nothing flashy, but they'll get the job done. Again, I think our top notch passing game forces defenses to expect the pass (i.e. nickle, dime coverage, etc..)...this, in theory, should allow room for our backs to run.

Somebody said they'd take Brandon "50 cent" Jackson over Grant? I don't know if I agree with that, but I got some high hopes for Jackson this year. What the packers really need is a third down running back. Somebody of the caliber of Chester Taylor of the Bears. But with qb like rodgers, conversions will come easily enough.

I'm not worried about the running game, I'm excited for the running game. Good things to come.

OP
OP
packers020802

packers020802

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jackson was running against 2 third teamers and 9 guys who will prob. not even make that Seattle team.

He can't put on that preformance Vs first teamers... not even Detroit 1st teamers!

well.... maybe Detroit

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jackson was running against 2 third teamers and 9 guys who will prob. not even make that Seattle team.

He can't put on that preformance Vs first teamers... not even Detroit 1st teamers!

well.... maybe Detroit

Jackson lit up Seattle last year in the regular season too, but Seattle kinda sucked, but it was their first teamers, I do think Jackson can be shiftier and more "dynamic" then Grant, but Grant is a better all around back.

Like Grant (6th round), Driver (7th round), Finley (4th round)?

I don't mean we don't have good draft picks, grant not being an actual pick but acquiring him w/ a 6th rounder was a great move, it just seems to me year in and year out come draft day...it's pretty safe to say that a high caliber running back will not be picked by us in the draft...for the last 4 years I've been hoping for one, I still think it will make all the difference and make us a complete offense...just kinda goes along with me not being Grant's biggest fan, i like him, don't love him

bad93ex

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not worried at all.

Running is not what the Packers are about anymore because they can move the ball with ease through the air.

turbo69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not worried at all.

Running is not what the Packers are about anymore because they can move the ball with ease through the air.

I agree although I hate to see us be totally one dimensional. If we don't get a CB or LB in the first round next year, a top notch RB wouldn't be a bad move.

Staff online

Latest posts