1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Announcement is LIVE: Read the Forum Post

Any chance we bring back Charles Woodson now?

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by FrankRizzo, Mar 17, 2013.

1. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,679
    It seemed that San Fran was going to sign Woodson right away after we released him.
    But yesterday they signed a different younger safety Craig Dahl.

Ed Reed seems headed to Houston.

Now after seeing that his market value is a lot less than what his contract with the Packers was, would Woodson return to the Packers for a substantially less amount of money?

Would the Packers brass, still stinging from losing a locker room fave in Jennings, on top of Driver, and now Crabtree, bring back the locker room leader Woodson?
    We still have McMillian and MD Jennings back there, young and hopefully developing. This would bring back some veteran leadership, and allow the team to not have to draft another safety. This would allow us to focus elsewhere in the draft and have no need for a young S, if they believe Jerron or MD will become good enough to be quality starters back there.

2. Poppa San

Poppa San SB I trophy First of four Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,044
    Could he replace Hawk at MLB on passing downs? Otherwise I think that ship has sailed. Two collarbones in 24 games. Not looking to good health wise.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. weeds

weeds Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,071
    Unfortunately, I think that Charles Woodson's days in Green Bay are over at any price. Hate to see it and hate to say it ... but ... damn I hate seeing guy's come to the end of their marketability and effectiveness -- I would LOVE to see Charles Woodson coaching in Green Bay -- I'd LOVE to see Charles Woodson in an administrative position in Green Bay ... I would LOVE to see Charles Woodson in ANY capacity in Green Bay -- but, I fear that he'll end up playing in Jacksonville or someplace that will pay for his name only...like Carolina did for the late great #92.

Then again ... I was completely wrong about Woodson when Thompson signed him. Not because I didn't think he could play, but, because I believed what was written about him...what a flippin' idiot I was (I'm still an idiot, just in different, non-defined areas, such as day-to-day living ;) )

4. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,116
    I dont know... I think its possible but I think he is a liability at this point.

5. 13 Times Champs

13 Times Champs Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,379
    Slim and none and slim just left town.

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. AmishMafia

AmishMafia Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,863
    Possible, not probable. I think he would need to take a serious cut in pay and that is not an easy thing for a player to do - pride and all.

7. SpartaChris

SpartaChris Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +965
    First, I don't believe "Packers brass is stinging" from losing Jennings or Crabtree. The team didn't seriously pursue either player, so I doubt they're reeling from their decision not to get into a bidding war for their services.

Next, it's possible, but I doubt it. If they did, it would likely be after the draft and probably after mini-camps start.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,557
    Too slow. Move on.

9. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,679
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but the biggest difference in tackling, the performance against Adrian Peterson from weeks 13 & 17 (when he totaled over 400 yards), and the wildcard round was the addition of Charles Woodson back there..... the other DBs were never where they should be and couldn't tackle.

I know Woodson has lost a step, but has Hawk not?

If Woodson had enough humbility to take the vet minimum + bonuses, would you guys not all want him back?
    Again, do you know that MD Jennings or Jerrell McMillian will be ready to anchor the hole back there? What about if Burnett goes down? Also, his tackling sucks by the way.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. HyponGrey

HyponGrey Caseus Locutus Est

Ratings:
    +1,030
    It's time to let Woodson go. We ran the tread off that bus and it was good to us. I'd much rather sign Collins, and would probably even bring back Peprah le Pew (whom PrimeTime said can't sleep because he can't even cover himself) first.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Oshkoshpackfan

Oshkoshpackfan YUT !!!

Ratings:
    +1,453
    That might be Frank, but I also think that was the time frame when CM3 was out in week 13 and returned to help with the AP situation in week 17. Either way, I think they both helped out.
    Woodson has lost a step, yes, but some things you just can't replace and that would be a craftiness he has, the leadership, and the inside info he has on opposing players (having went up against them over the years). If he did come back, it would have to be at a huge pay cut and him taking limited snaps only being a situational player. Either way, I don't see him returning.

12. texaspackerbacker

texaspackerbacker Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +58
    Collins? Is there ANY chance of that? I thought it was sure he was permanently out medically.

13. HyponGrey

Ratings:
    +1,030
    No chance in hell. He's out permanently, though he might be able to get clearance from a different NFL team.

14. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,116
    No, Collins isn't coming back. I'm pretty sure that was the biggest hit to the pack... Losing him.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. NorthWestCheeseHead

NorthWestCheeseHead Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +375
    I wouldn't discount the fact that the Packers had already seen what the Vikes were going to be doing with AP so they were more prepared for what they were going to see and ready to stop it. And yes, getting the handful of starters back helped immensely too.

As far as bringing back Woodson I'd much rather see him return to us in the form of a position coach/ intern than as a on the field player. That way he's not a liability on the field due to injury or his pi-itis, while the locker-room still gets to benefit from picking his brain and his leadership ability.

16. burt packerack

burt packerack Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +99
    I'd rather go out like Woodson than go out quickly due to injury like Collins right at the top of his game. Collins was my last (definite 100%) favorite packer. All of my favorite players on either baseball or football end up getting hurt.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. El Guapo

El Guapo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,470
    So you're the jinx.... :whistling:

• Like Like x 1
  18. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,557
    It puzzled me a bit that SF would be talking to Woodson. They must have seen the tape where Kapernick blew past his angle.

Then I recalled the time I went to a job interview and it occurred to me about 10 minutes in that there was no job opening...the interviewer was trying to mine me for info about my then employer, a competitor. You just never know.

19. HyponGrey

Ratings:
    +1,030
    You're never allowed to love again.

• Funny Funny x 1