Anticipating Cheap Shots?

bradwillrockyou

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm just waiting for James Harrison to take a cheap shot at Aarron Rodgers this Sunday. I'd bet on it. I like hard football, but I don't like that guy.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's gotta get to him first.

The Packers, I hope, are well aware of what they are facing and should be well prepared.

arrimike

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we are all expecting some head hunting shots by the Steelers D... To be honest, wouldn't be surprised if they try and pull a Jets sideline act (tripping one of our gunners)... That is, of course, we actually end up having to punt the ball...

LombardiChick

Win or lose, I love this team.
Reaction score
Oh, I think we'll have to punt. This isn't going to be easy, but I hope and pray we win it. If the Packers play the way they are capable of playing, I very much like our chances. As I said earlier today, in a fair fight, I don't think there's anyone in the NFL they can't beat if they're on.

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
I honestly don't think we'll see that much headhunting since Rodgers definitely avoids contact now. Peppers took a shot cause he knew he had nothing to lose with Cutler out.

Steelersfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dont think that the steelers will try any cheap shots, but, that being sad about the gunner tripping, absolutely not. We are not the Jets or the Patriots (and yes, patriots started gunner tripping, they just failed to actually trip people, started week 2 vs the jets, jets learned it from a kid they signed off of the patriots practice squad.)

LombardiChick

Reaction score
I dont think that the steelers will try any cheap shots, but, that being sad about the gunner tripping, absolutely not. We are not the Jets or the Patriots (and yes, patriots started gunner tripping, they just failed to actually trip people, started week 2 vs the jets, jets learned it from a kid they signed off of the patriots practice squad.)

Would you happen to have a source for that? I'm just guessing you're going to get a challenge on that one tomorrow when TheSnowPlow sees it. Was wondering where you heard it.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score

LombardiChick

Reaction score

LombardiChick

Reaction score
Errr...I thought there would be a video there, but I don't see one. Am I going blind? I'd like to see the video and not just take a reporter's word for it...I just don't trust the media.

The article also seems a little ambiguous:

The NFL said Monday the Patriots' positioning was not "illegal" because the players involved were offensive linemen prepared to enter the game. But any intent to trip would be a separate matter and could be subject to discipline.

"Were [the Patriots] teaching it?" Westhoff said at the time. "I have no idea. When they punted were they back? Yes. When the other team punted were they up tighter? Yes. Absolutely. You can look at it -- look at the tape. I'm not accusing the Patriots of doing something wrong, maybe they are doing something smart. That's up to you.

Were the Pats disciplined? I didn't hear they were. (Okay, now I'm really going! LOL)

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3J9SGoBjMhY&feature=related]YouTube - New England Patriots Trip New York Jets In Week 2[/ame]

Pegger Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
here's a video from youtube regarding this...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8W_pZEFOuM]YouTube - Patriots Trip Jets[/ame]

EDIT: how did i get beat by two minutes?!?! :blind: wow. Good work, Jess :Bananas2:

LombardiChick

Reaction score
Thank you both for that information. I appreciate it.

I can't see anyone tripping anyone in that video - it's just too small for me to tell what's happening. All I can see is a little movement. Can you guys see tripping? Maybe he is sticking his foot out - I just can't see it well enough to discern that.

Kind of funny how Glazer says the Patriots would have been fined "instead of the Jets getting fined". Huh? Wouldn't the Jets have been fined too, if they did it?

I personally am fine with Glazer, but I know he's worked reporting on the New York teams prior to reporting on the NFL in general (he used to be a Giants beat writer, and maybe Jets too) and I have to wonder if he doesn't have a soft spot in his heart for the Jets.

If you guys can actually see tripping, I will concede there's a problem there. I'm not saying it isn't there - just that I'm unable to see it. (I don't hear anyone on the panel affirming what Glazer says he sees there, either - did anyone happen to see the entire broadcast? Was there agreement that there was a problem? Sounds like JJ is about to take his argument apart, then the vid cuts off.)

Again, I really appreciate you doing that digging.

Steelersfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can see a leg swing, you gotta look really close though, but, i think what glazer meant, was that if the jets had just reported what they learned to the NFL, instead of doing it themselves, the Pats woulda got the fine, but even then, im not sure they woulda been fined, they didnt trip the guy, he missed.

L

Lunchboxer

I think Rodgers is aware of Harrison Dirty Hits.

Im expecting him to get a Personally handed fine by Rodger Goodell himself after the game. He always has to take a cheap dirty hit. I hope its not Rodgers who takes the hit. I hope he does not do dirty hits.

Steelersfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Also, i believe harrison is over-hyped about his hits, heck, one story tried to make it seem as if he tries to kill you on every play, just because he said "When i tackle, i wanna hurt you, i wanna make you take a breather, but, i do not want to injure any players." Doesnt that make sense, you dont tackle people so they think, hey, this guys a great guy, he didnt hurt when he hit me. All though some of his hits this year were vicious, Look at what he has been fined for, the Ryan Fitzpatrick hit, which last year would have been a text book tackle? helmet to the side, shoulder pad on the numbers, wrap him up... and he gets fined. The NFL is showing some wierd inconsistencies.

If the NFL really cared about the players, why arent the Safer helmets being mandated, and if they really were worried, why are we looking at an 18 game season?

Answer: Concussions make people feel uncomfortable watching, so... they try and remove hard hits to lower injury rates, so its more likely to get the 18 game season.

18 game season = more money, and thats what goodell lives for.

Preacher

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sigh--

I am not sure how Harrison's hits can be considered dirty when they have been legal up to this year.

After all, it is the exact same way Ben gets hit.

Has anyone considered the fact that he is only 6'0 tall (and probably not even that much). The average LB is 6'2-6'3.

The average QB at this level is 6'3-6'4. Those four inches or so is just about perfect- to create many top of the helmet to facemask hits (which is what most of Harrison's hits are).

Dirty? Not at all. Not even considered illegal until this year-sort of-depending on who is being hit. Don't believe me? See if you can find game tape not only of the Steelers, but of the Ravens, or one or two other QB's that are always getting helmet to helmet hits, and are seldom called. It's no coincidence that those are the teams that play a more physical style of ball, IMO.

Preacher

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Also, i believe harrison is over-hyped about his hits, heck, one story tried to make it seem as if he tries to kill you on every play, just because he said "When i tackle, i wanna hurt you, i wanna make you take a breather, but, i do not want to injure any players." Doesnt that make sense, you dont tackle people so they think, hey, this guys a great guy, he didnt hurt when he hit me. All though some of his hits this year were vicious, Look at what he has been fined for, the Ryan Fitzpatrick hit, which last year would have been a text book tackle? helmet to the side, shoulder pad on the numbers, wrap him up... and he gets fined. The NFL is showing some wierd inconsistencies.

If the NFL really cared about the players, why arent the Safer helmets being mandated, and if they really were worried, why are we looking at an 18 game season?

Answer: Concussions make people feel uncomfortable watching, so... they try and remove hard hits to lower injury rates, so its more likely to get the 18 game season.

18 game season = more money, and thats what goodell lives for.

Gotta disagree with you.

NFL likes the hard hits-but only when the offense delivers them, which is why no RB or WR will EVER get a penalty when they put their head down and run head first into a player, even when they hit head to head. Why? Because to take away that ability from the offense, means the score will be lower, and that doesn't drive excitement on TV and thus, revenue.

I agree with your end assessment, but I don't think its the hits he cares about, its the excitement of the game that is diminished when "a star" is injured.

GWheels

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think you can count on some questionable hits. I'm sure the Steelers will go after Rodgers hard and often to get his timing off. I'm sure they watched Peppers hit on Rodgers and saw Rodgers wasn't the same after the hit. With all Harrison's negative talk about the NFL this week I would think the refs won't give him much leeway.

EJ Blitz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
if james harrison is in a game, there will be cheap shots. but I highly doubt it will be against rodgers, it will be too obvious. Harrison likes doing extra shady stuff after or at the end of plays.

TheSnowPlow

Driving Don Shula Crazy
Reaction score
I actually saw it on CBS too. The Pats did the whole "form a human wall" thing the Jets did, they just didn't trip anybody with it.

New England Patriots attempted Week 2 sideline trip vs. New York Jets, video reveals - ESPN

Here is the difference between what the Jets did and what New England did:

Jets:

1. Lined up players who were on IR, or not suited up for the game, in a sideline location that by league rules they are not allowed to be in. The area they were in was supposed to only contain players who are getting ready to go into the game on the next play.

2. Their S&C coach deliberately stuck his knee out to trip - not impede - trip a player who was running out of bounds as the gunner, and running out of bounds for that long is also a rule violation and a penalty.

3. The coach actually tripped a player deliberately.

New England:

1. The players in that video are players getting ready to go into the game upon the conclusion of the play. They are where they are supposed to be. According to league rules, those were active game players on the sideline in an area they are, according to league rules, allowed to be.

2. No one tripped anyone. Not getting out of the way of a gunner who is running out of bounds is not a rule violation.

3. No rules were broken. Period.

:happy0005:

TheSnowPlow

Driving Don Shula Crazy
Reaction score
Errr...I thought there would be a video there, but I don't see one. Am I going blind? I'd like to see the video and not just take a reporter's word for it...I just don't trust the media.

The article also seems a little ambiguous:

The NFL said Monday the Patriots' positioning was not "illegal" because the players involved were offensive linemen prepared to enter the game. But any intent to trip would be a separate matter and could be subject to discipline.

"Were [the Patriots] teaching it?" Westhoff said at the time. "I have no idea. When they punted were they back? Yes. When the other team punted were they up tighter? Yes. Absolutely. You can look at it -- look at the tape. I'm not accusing the Patriots of doing something wrong, maybe they are doing something smart. That's up to you.

Were the Pats disciplined? I didn't hear they were. (Okay, now I'm really going! LOL)

No. No punishment was given - and Goodell wouldn't hesitate to do so if he thought he could. In fact, the Jets were punished and fined additionally for trying the "But they did it too!" thing. :happy0005:

GoSlash27

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Meh. Deebo isn't gonna cheap-shot anybody. He plays very physical, but it's all between the whistles. A lot of Steelers play like that because we believe that if it doesn't hurt, you ain't doin' it right. Nobody's out to injure anyone tho'.

Deebo gets all the attention because of the fines, but he's not actually the guy you have to worry about. Ryan Clark is the dangerous one.

Preacher

Cheesehead
Reaction score
if james harrison is in a game, there will be cheap shots. but I highly doubt it will be against rodgers, it will be too obvious. Harrison likes doing extra shady stuff after or at the end of plays.

With all due respect, I am going to have to ask for evidence here. I hear this all the time, but watching the games every week, I have never seen this.

Yes, his slide into Sanchez was questionable... though you all do notice he hit the ground with his hip at quite a sharp angle, which killed most of his momentum... and actually grazed over the top of him as much as actually hit him.

Like I said, I am going to have to ask for videos showing his "shady stuff after or at the end of plays".

VersusTheMoose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If they have a shot at him, they are gonna try to take A-rod out of the game, cheap or clean. They do have their share of dirty players, Rodgers is gonna have to get it out fast and hope his o-line can hold up.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts