Anthony Hargrove suspended 8 games

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know he was only signed to a 1 year deal, but that's still $825,000 that will be spent on very little productivity. Can the Packers release him and make space or is that not possible? I guess I don't fully understand how it works when you sign a player who is disciplined for their actions on another team.
He will not be payed for the aforementioned 8 games he is suspended for.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The appeal will be interesting. The NFL hands down these suspensions with nothing that resembles due process (access to evidence, opportunity to rebut, etc). Sure as hell took them long enough to come up with these punishments. Why can't offer a better explanation for an eight game suspension than vague statements like "obstructing the investigation?"

Not saying the suspension will be lifted but it might be trimmed back a game or two. Beyond that, the NFL's discipline procedures/policy is draconian for a unionized industry...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ve-smith-fujita-plan-appeal-and-legal-battle/

PackMan13x

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On the bright side, at least if he makes the team he will be fresh for the stretch run. If a couple of our big men are nursing injuries down the stretch he will be a welcome addition.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I blame Ted for everything. For drafting Aaron Rodgers. Signing Charles Woodson. Oh, and let's not forget about the Super Bowl. I totally TOTALLY blame his @ss for that!

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree, The Union is going to fight this tooth and nail.
Couple of thoughts:

1. I don't think the Union will fight this. The Union (from what I have heard) took a strong stance of protection of players health in the last CBA, defending these players is a contradiction to their stance of protecting player health. Many players are PO'd at the Saints and these players for participating in this - although little has come out in the press. I don't think they get any sympathy from any other players at their punishment. Seeing the union is made up of all the players, I think these players are going to have to take what they deserved.

2. I agree with OnlyMeIKnow. I can't believe I typed that. Anyhow, I do think this was a mistake by Thompson and I would prefer that Hargrove was cut - not a big deal, no money spent. I don't want that kind of player on this team. Where I disagree with OMIK is that it was a big mistake, TT should be fired, and well, with everything else he has ever written.

3. Reading the ESPN take on it, it sounds like Hargrove leaked info and then lied about it. I don't think he was an organizer, just a participant like the others on the team. The others suspended sound like they helped organize and fund. I'm thinking that TT figured he wouldn't get suspended for being a participant, but he didn't count on a suspension for lying. Regardless, if he stays so be it, but I wouldn't care if he is cut because of this.

Alex

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with Amish, cut the guy. No need for a player like that on this team, especially if he isn't an impact player and he's not much of a loss. Let's see what the rookies can do!

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
Couple of thoughts:

1. I don't think the Union will fight this. The Union (from what I have heard) took a strong stance of protection of players health in the last CBA, defending these players is a contradiction to their stance of protecting player health. .

Union has already stated repeatedly they have found no evidence substantiating the leagues claims against the players. Now in Hargrove's case it may fall under the personal conduct policy. Either way this could end up in litigation, which could mean a restraining order and an extended period of time before any suspension is enforced if ever. Time will tell.

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
Although it sucks if Hargrove can keep up with the team by the time his suspension is up it would be great to have him midseason. I only thought of H. Greene when thinking of Hargrove, we got him from the Jets right before we played them and he did pretty darn good and kept at it till the Super Bowl. We were so injured by that time it was nice to have that new person helping out.

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1. I don't think the Union will fight this. The Union (from what I have heard) took a strong stance of protection of players health in the last CBA, defending these players is a contradiction to their stance of protecting player health. Many players are PO'd at the Saints and these players for participating in this - although little has come out in the press. I don't think they get any sympathy from any other players at their punishment. Seeing the union is made up of all the players, I think these players are going to have to take what they deserved.

You're right to suggest that fighting this puts the union in an odd position. But the union has a legitimate gripe about the lack of transparency in the NFL discipline process and improving the fairness of such processes is typically one of the basic objectives of labor unions in any sector of the economy. Hell, worker discipline at most non-union employers is less shrouded in mystery...

Yeah, yeah: the Saints were clearly out-of-line with their bounty program (after repeated warnings by the league). But we're not really hearing widespread condemnation of these players from their peers. And, for the love of God, can we stop acting like such activity was unheard of in the NFL's past?

Much of our disgust toward the Saints bounty scandal stems from recent growing awareness about the seriousness of head injuries in the NFL. Remarkably, this story distracts from any earnest discussion of the NFL's unwillingness to address the serious long-term health issues associated with a career in football despite the growing body of evidence. Instead, the league floats proposals like expanding the season to eighteen games. Simply amazing.

I just think the "dastardly, villainous Saints" narrative should be taken with a grain of salt as the product of the 24-hour sports news cycle and a convenient red herring for the NFL...

2. I agree with OnlyMeIKnow. I can't believe I typed that. Anyhow, I do think this was a mistake by Thompson and I would prefer that Hargrove was cut - not a big deal, no money spent. I don't want that kind of player on this team. Where I disagree with OMIK is that it was a big mistake, TT should be fired, and well, with everything else he has ever written.

At about $500K for a guy coming in fresh to rush the passer for the end of the season/playoffs, I think it remains a great deal. Hargrove will be playing for his livelihood (i.e., a new contract).

The majority of public condemnation for all of this falls on the Saints as an organization and Vilma as a player. As mentioned above, I don't think these guys are nearly so widely condemned by their peers for all of this as you suggest.

3. Reading the ESPN take on it, it sounds like Hargrove leaked info and then lied about it. I don't think he was an organizer, just a participant like the others on the team. The others suspended sound like they helped organize and fund. I'm thinking that TT figured he wouldn't get suspended for being a participant, but he didn't count on a suspension for lying. Regardless, if he stays so be it, but I wouldn't care if he is cut because of this.

IF this is the case, an eight game suspension is totally disproportionate. We're talking about a league that hands out shorter suspensions for stomping a fellow player lying prone on the field in full view of the whole damn world after the play is over. Ludicrous.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers knew what they were getting themselves into. Ted had a strong inkling of the punishment coming.

I'm not discouraged by this as some are. It's not like we are losing Matthews. Hopefully he comes back hard.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hargrove signed a declaration admitting to both knowing about and participating in the bounty program, so if that's not evidence, then I don't know what is. I'm not sure what evidence there is regarding the other players who were suspended, but as Warren Sapp correctly pointed out just now on NFL Total Access, the league doesn't generally get these things wrong.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/41593/first-glance-anthony-hargroves-penalty

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers knew what they were getting themselves into. Ted had a strong inkling of the punishment coming.

I'm not discouraged by this as some are. It's not like we are losing Matthews. Hopefully he comes back hard.
Think so? I don't know, but I don't think TT signs him if he knew this was coming.

Course, maybe that's why we got him so cheap.

Passepartout

October Outstanding
Reaction score
Hargrove admits that he is to blame as he did not blame anybody else. As that takes a man to do that. As usually people blame others EXCEPT themselves. For that, I applaud Hargrove as he did not hide behind the fact he took part in the Bounty Gate scheme.

TeamTundra

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From my understanding, Hargrove can participate in all the offseason activities and training camp.
The team can evaluate him them and decide if he is a good fit. In addition, he and Mike Neal don't
count against the active roster when suspended so we can either pickup a temp player or hold onto
J. Wynn, D. Muir, etc. until they return.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Think so? I don't know, but I don't think TT signs him if he knew this was coming.

Course, maybe that's why we got him so cheap.

Lets be honest, we wont need him until the playoffs. With our offense we are good for at least 10 wins.

EvAn

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Disappointed for sure. Maybe Neal will come back and surprise me.

I thought we were going to try to move Neal to OLB? Or was that just an idea earlier on? I remember hearing it not too long ago.. Either way I hope he can come back and have at least a better impact than last year!

If only Johnny Jolly wasn't such a gangster..

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hargrove signed a declaration admitting to both knowing about and participating in the bounty program, so if that's not evidence, then I don't know what is. I'm not sure what evidence there is regarding the other players who were suspended, but as Warren Sapp correctly pointed out just now on NFL Total Access, the league doesn't generally get these things wrong.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/41593/first-glance-anthony-hargroves-penalty

I can't recall anyone here denying Hargrove's involvement in the the bounty program here. The guy probably deserves to sit a few games. Doesn't change the fact that the league's discipline process is remarkably opaque. The NFL has said that 22 to 27 Saints players were involved (source), yet only four were suspended on the basis of their "leadership role" in the program without much explanation for how these four were identified as leaders or why their suspensions range from a few games to the entire season. That's the issue, a lack of transparency.

As far as the Warren Sapp comments go, consider the source. I'm hardly surprised by an NFL Network analyst making comments supporting the NFL on all of this. (Not to mention the guy's just an ***hole in general.) But let's suppose that Sapp is correct about the league usually being right on these things: What's the problem with greater transparency in the process?

If the government did this, it would be unconstitutional. Most private employers have policies that offer better protections for professionals. The NFLPA is correct to challenge the league for more information on the rationale behind its disciplinary decisions and to seek a more open process.

OP
OP
Big E

Big E

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fraud, really? Was that supposed to be funny? Not all Farve fans are idoits or whatever your making them out to be with your " fraud fans" comments.

Moving on, is Hargrove allowed to play in preseason games?

From what I've heard, he's allowed to fully participate in all offseason activities, including the preseason.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
Longtimefan,

I WOULD put you in your place, but you've proven that you'll ban someone from the boards for disagreeing with your asinine postings and opinions, as well as someone with knowledge showing you the error of your ways. But you know what, I feel like taking a risk. I'm from Detroit I guess according to you? No, I'm just a Redwings fan because I refuse to root for teams that I'm geographically the closest too. Which means I'm neither a Brewers, Badgers, Blackhawks or Bears fan! Try southeastern Wisconsin pal, NOT Detroit!

Also, to those reading the posts, I apologize for the double post, I'm not sure how it happened, there was a glitch which I was not intentionally involved with.

LT won't ban you. It's the off season and, now that the draft is completed, we are mostly bored. And YOU just became our entertainment. I hope you keep posting for months to come.

Regarding Hargrove, I also am one that is now wishing that he was not signed to our team. I like to keep standards set very high. However, I am also torn with the basic premise of allowing 2nd chances. If Hargrove continues to " man up" with the truth and admits any fault, if he works hard and stays focused on being a better player ( within the rules this time...), I am ok with him remaining with the team.

As such, I do not hope for Hargrove pursuing a lawsuit vs the NFL. He should file an appeal, let it run it's course, then accept whatever outcome occurs. Anything other than this and he loses this fan's support for a 2nd chance.

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
God this **** is getting annoying.

First off, Brett Favre is gone. He has been for several years now. Let's move on, for ****s sake. I could understand crying and whining and reminiscing about Brett Favre constantly if we were worse off on our QB situation and sucking *** as a team right now. But we aren't. We're doing just fine and from a QB perspective we're doing better, in fact the best in franchise history. So shut the **** up about Favre already, please.

If I recall he has his own website and fan forum made specifically for people who can't let go and spend all day worshiping him and stalking him via Google Earth. So make your way over there.

Secondly, and to jump on the other side of the fence briefly. The Ted Thompson worship is equally as stomach turning. Yes he's drafted some incredible players for us and like any GM he's made his share of bad picks and managerial decisions. I don't see any other GM being worshiped like Ted like he's the second coming of Jesus Christ. Which is funny considering there are GM's who have had much more success as GM's than he has.

Yes he's brought us Rodgers, Matthews, Raji, Woodson, Nelson etc. But the success of these players is not purely due to Ted's mastery of anything. Players develops into Great Players via great coaching, great surroundings, teammates, situations among a many, many other variables. More importantly than having one of the better GM's, we have a great team and a great group of coaches.

I love this team. But the "In Ted I Trust" stuff personally just makes me cringe. I don't think the haters would rag on Ted or this team so much if he wasn't so viciously nuthugged at every possible opportunity.

As far as the Hargrove suspension, at least he'll be able to practice with the team and participate in pre-season. And it's good that we drafted a couple good defensive lineman. I hope because of this suspension we don't let him go. We need the depth there.

/rant

Members online

Latest posts